PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub 250 and USB connection

Custom Search

mrwho
06-15-2011, 07:06 AM
We're having trouble at a customer's connecting his bh250 via USB to a computer for USB printing. The computer plainly won't recognize the machine. At first we suspected of a bad board, but since we've had this problem with different boards on different machines with different computers.

To be honest this is the first time a customer wants to use USB with one of these, because since the machine has an ethernet connector most customers just want to use it. But this particular customer needs to use USB, and we can't figure it out.

Has anyone ever gone through this who can give me some insight?

Cheers!

ineo+6501
06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Yes, been through this many times. It turned out to be the USB cable. We tried around a dozen different cables before we found 1 that worked.

It ended up being the expensive type of cable which you would usually get with a scanner, the type which is quite thick and is shielded at both ends with a ferrite core.
We stick to them and they seem to work every time. Same goes for the other models which share the same characteristics, 350, 222, 282, 360.

Don't have a clue why.

mrwho
06-15-2011, 09:25 AM
That makes sense, since we've tried everything else. I'll give it a shot and I'll post some feedback here.

As for the "why", I suppose an USB connection, like a network connection, must have some sort of error correction. Maybe this model doesn't have it or maybe the one it has is not as robust as other equipments.

Thanks.

jummamaster
06-15-2011, 07:52 PM
we had have same problem with kyocera FS 116 and a good quality shielded USB cable solved the problem.

emujo
06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
The 250 is not a "printer" out of the box..must have the enabler installed. Not sure if this affects USB printing, but you might want to look at the spec sheet. Emujo

mrwho
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Although I know this particular 250 prints (because I printed through it via ethernet) I'm quite sure the 250 prints out of the box. It were the bigger models (420/500 and 600/750) that needed the extra chip.

ineo+6501
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
You're right mrwho, the 250/350 print out of the box. The 420/500/600/750 needed the IC chip.

mrwho
06-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Solved!

Tried first with a high-quality cable without success.

Then, after several tries, driver updating and other stuff, out of the blue I got tired of waiting for the machine to boot everytime I power cycled it, so I turned DHCP off. Hey! It now is detected via USB!

So, in order for USB to work, DHCP must be turned off! Isn't that cute?

Just goes to prove my opinion that these machines are basically turds in plastic covers.

Custom Search