PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me how to change the TCP/IP on a DI550 with a PI5501?

Custom Search

agentx
06-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I am trying to connect the copier to a computer running Windows 7. I cannot get the computer to recognize the copier. I also cannot figure out how to change the IP on the copier or network card.

It seems the computer does not see the copier on the network.

Attached is the configuration page that prints.

kronical
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Ok, is the issue with this that the computer is unable to print to the device? If so, the configuration you have provided is showing that the printer port is 10001 and not the default 9000. Changing the port number in the driver port properties to 10001 should correct this without causing issues with the rest of the computers in the network.

Otherwise, you can only change the TCP/IP information through the embedded web browser on this device.

Please do note, that even though the config shows port 10001, I have seen some Konica devices show one port on configuration, such as 10001, yet the driver is still unable to communicate on this port, and indeed the port that does communicate is 1 higher than what is configured (i.e. 10002) so definitely try this as well. It doesn't hurt to check the port settings configured on the drivers of other pcs on the network to be sure.

kronical
06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Oh ya, and if there are no other pcs working with this device, you can use your laptop or pc and a crossover cable, setting your pcs ip address to 10.0.7.10 to go directly into the machine and make the necessary changes.
Administrator password for the web interface is sysadm

agentx
06-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I am in a bit over my head and ask your patience in what may be some dumb questions.

First, a little background:

We just received this copier as a donation to our charity. It came used from a local company and was working until we picked it up.

All I have done so far is set it up, copied a couple things to check it (works fine) and plugged the Ethernet cable in it after first connecting the cable to a laptop to be sure it had a good connection back through the router. I can hit the internet through the laptop/router.

The configuration I provided a print-out of is what the copier spits out when I start it up.

The copier did not come with any software or drivers so it is just plugged in to my machine through the router like the other printers we have....

I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.

I cannot get into the printer/copier using any web interface and it does not "ping". All of my other printers connect using the IP 192.168.2.XXX so this 10.0.7.x on the sheet is completely different from what I have. I also suspect that these are the settings that were on the printer form the people we received it from.

I was not worried about the driver (until now) because the Minolta/Konica site says it is supposed to be in WINDOWS 7 Pro.

Unfortunately, the computer can't see the copier. trying to go in with a web browser using 10.0.7.6, 10.0.7.1 do not connect and time out.

I do not have a "cross-over cable" and am not sure I know what that is or where to get one, although I do have a laptop I could use if I could figure that out.

Thanks in advance for both your patience and help. We are 100% all unpaid volunteers so we don't have a "techno-mage" to do our IT stuff.

Also, if I go find a crossover cable do I need a T568A or T568B?

kronical
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I have added to your quote below where appropriate.

Thanks for the help. I think I am in a bit over my head and ask your patience in what may be some dumb questions.

First, a little background:

We just received this copier as a donation to our charity. It came used from a local company and was working until we picked it up.

All I have done so far is set it up, copied a couple things to check it (works fine) and plugged the Ethernet cable in it after first connecting the cable to a laptop to be sure it had a good connection back through the router. I can hit the internet through the laptop/router.

The configuration I provided a print-out of is what the copier spits out when I start it up.

That is a good start. THe printout will occur every time the device is powered on. It gives you all the network information programmed on the device.

The copier did not come with any software or drivers so it is just plugged in to my machine through the router like the other printers we have....
I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit.

Windows 7 may have the drivers for this device preloaded, I have not checked myself. If not they can be downloaded from KM's website, I can provide a link if necessary

I cannot get into the printer/copier using any web interface and it does not "ping". All of my other printers connect using the IP 192.168.2.XXX so this 10.0.7.x on the sheet is completely different from what I have. I also suspect that these are the settings that were on the printer form the people we received it from.

Yes, the 10.0.7.x address, specifically 10.0.7.6, is the IP address that was assigned to the device via the previous owner. This has been set statically, and you MUST crossover directly to the machine to be able to change this. (I will discuss this later)

I was not worried about the driver (until now) because the Minolta/Konica site says it is supposed to be in WINDOWS 7 Pro.

While compiling this response, I have verified that the drivers are not in Win 7, and I am also using pro x64. I am using an OEM installation of Windows however, and it may have been omitted. Drivers can be found Here (http://onyxftp.mykonicaminolta.com/DownloadFile/Download.ashx?fileid=471&productid=464)

Unfortunately, the computer can't see the copier. trying to go in with a web browser using 10.0.7.6, 10.0.7.1 do not connect and time out.

This is because the copier is not on the same network as the rest of your computers and printers, the 10.0.7.6 address is inaccessible. Crossover is required, as discussed below

I do not have a "cross-over cable" and am not sure I know what that is or where to get one, although I do have a laptop I could use if I could figure that out.

If your laptop is relatively new (within the last 2 years) then it will most likely have an auto-switching network card, which will cross over for you. So here's what you will need to do.
In WinXP, go to Control Panel, Network Connections. Right click "Local Area Connection xx" (where xx is a number, could be anything) and select Properties. In the window that comes up, Find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) or TCP/IPv4, highlight it, and click the Properties button. In this new window, put the dot beside "Use the following IP address" and where it says IP Address, enter 10.0.7.10, and Subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and click OK twice. The rest of the info can be left blank.
Windows 7 is the same proceedure, however in the control panel, you will select Network and Sharing Center, and Change Adapter Settings link on the left of the window.
Once this is done, plug your network cable directly from your laptop the the DI550. Your network jack lights should light up.
You should now be able to ping the device from your laptop, the address you will use is 10.0.7.6, as 10.0.7.1 is the gateway address (router) the previous owner was using.
If your ping was successful, you should now be able to use Internet Explorer and browse to the embedded web interface. Once there, in the top left of the page will be a password box, enter sysadm and click login. You should now be in admin mode.
There will be a tab called Network, click on it, and you will see the programmed IP, subnet and gateway on the device. Change the IP address to match your own IP scheme (192.168.2.xxx) and the gateway address to whatever your gateway is (you can use ipconfig at the command prompt of another computer to get this, will most likely be 192.168.2.1) You can also use the ping command from this other computer to verify if a particular IP address is available.
ALTERNATIVELY - you can check the DHCP checkbox on this page, and force the machine to pull it's own IP address from your network once it's plugged into your network. You can then go back into the web interface and uncheck the DHCP box to set this address as static. (This is a good idea since IP addresses can change on you, thusly losing your ability to print)
Once you have checked DHCP, or assigned your own IP address to the device, click Save (or OK I can't remember for sure which it is) and the page will refresh. You may lose your connection at this point because you have changed it. Either way, once you click Save, unplug the cable from your laptop and turn the machine off. Plug it into your network router and turn the machine back on. You should now be able to see the machine using the address you have assigned. In the case where you used the DHCP checkbox, you will need to wait about 5-10 minutes, or until that config page prints. It should have the new IP information, which you can use to go back into the interface and set static as mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for both your patience and help. We are 100% all unpaid volunteers so we don't have a "techno-mage" to do our IT stuff.

Also, if I go find a crossover cable do I need a T568A or T568B?
A crossover cable goes from T568A to T568B. Straight cables, or patch cables, are either one or the other. If your laptop can connect to the machine using a regular patch cable, then you dont need a crossover. The T568A/B specification is more of a consistancy thing, either an A or B cable will work the exact same. The only difference is the reversal of the orange and green pairs within the cable. As mentioned, the crossover will be A on one end, and B on the other.

Also, when you are in the web interface, you should see an item in the network tab called Printer Port, or just Port. It will be set to 10001. Change it to 9000 to save yourself further headaches when installing the printer driver.

And make sure you go back into your TCP/IP properties, and set both dots back to Obtain automatically, or you will not be able to connect to anything using that network jack.
Hope I didn't confuse you too much, and let me know how you make out.

kronical
06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Sorry, 1 more thing. I have run across an issue where the Network tab of the interface returns PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED.
This means your Java is newer than what is supported. I will try to find the supported version for you in case you need it.

agentx
06-21-2011, 01:34 AM
You're my hero! Here what I managed to accomplish so far with my new $5.00 cross-over cable and your great directtions!

1. Changed the IP Address
2. Got into the copier from my regular computer
3. Set the copier up so that it scans and emails to an email address through our server
4. Downloaded the drivers you sent the link for.

The only problem I have now is that I cannot figure out how to set the copier up as a printer in Windows 7 using the new interface. It does not recognize the copier and so it does not ask me for the driver.

I tried to a pi5500 drivers from windows update. It installed but will not print a test page.

I then tried to install the driver you sent the link for using the "have disk" option but I get the following error when I try to use the files:

"The folder you specified does not contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows x64-based systems"

How did you get yours to install in win 7?
How did you do yours?

Bob

kronical
06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Try this driver here, it is the Imagistics provided driver for their version of this machine. It should work just fine.
Vista driver package (http://www.oceusa.com/main/view_media.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=101341986733840 85&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723696640393&bmUID=1308660112102)
After you install the driver, go to the ports tab and click configure port, make sure the port number matches what is listed as the port on the bottom of that config page.

agentx
06-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I get multiple devices show up when I go to that driver through windows. Here is what I am doing:

control panel> hardware and sound> Devices and Printers

"Add a Printer"

"Add a Network, Wireless, or Bluetooth Printer"

"The Printer I want Wasn't Listed"

"Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or host name"

Device Type: TCP/IP
IP Address: 192.168.2.142
Port Name: 192.168.2.142_1

I get a message saying "Additional port information Required"

I select "Custom" under settings and change the port number to 9000 (it matches the tab in the copier web page when I access the machine)

Under MInolta on the "Install Print Driver Screen" it gives me the option of a Pi5500(MS) or a Pi5501 PCL5e (MS)

I selected "Have Disk" <next>

I go into the Vista Drives you sent.

Under "Generic" I get the following options:

F62BW-M PCL5e
FX3 55BW-M PCL5e
FX3 65BW-M PCL5e
FX3 75BW-M PCL5e
FX3e 65BW-M PCL5e
FX3 85BW-M PCL5e
Generic MFP 35/25/20ppm PCL5e

Under Manufacturer Oce Imagistics it has:

9681 Printer Driver
DL/F 370/320/200 PCL5e
DL550/460 PCL5e
im5520/4720 PCL5e

I just took a wild guess and selected: "DL550/460 PCL5e" because it had "550" in it like the copier number

<next>

Printer name: DL550/460 PCL5e changed to "MLT_055464" to match the printout from the copier

<next>

Installed driver.

Selected "Share this printer so that others on your network can find and use it"

<Next>

<Print Test Page>

Window comes up saying a test page is being sent to the printer.

Nothing prints and I get an error in the print que after a while.

Both the copier and the printer driver are set to port 9000

Also, not sure if it matters, but the people we received the copier from had it set up for an access key (you have to plug in one of 3 codes on the touch panel to copy). They said that "should not" effect printing.

kronical
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
DL550/460 should work, but the more accurate driver is the im5520/4720 from the package I gave you.
If access codes are on the machine, then you would need to program the access codes into the print driver.
Better yet, eliminate the access codes.
On the copier, press Utility
Select Administrator Mode, enter the password (all 0's)
Select Copy Track
Make sure both Copy and Printer are set to OFF. If it asks you to initialize the data, select Yes(Initialize)
This will eliminate the tracking codes.
Now, if you got a print error after a time in the print queue on your computer, then the tracking codes are not the issue. Prints sent without a code will generally be ignored and no error will be reported.

Now, as far as your current issue is concerned, here is a little background.
When adding a printer, you are prompted first as to whether you are installing a Local printer or a Network printer (NW, BT, Wireless in WIN7)
The Network printer option is STRICTLY for printers that are already installed on a computer and shared out to the network. You need to give the IP address and share name of the printer on that computer.
Local printer is kind of misleading. It specifies a local printer directly attached to this computer, (i.e. USB, Parallel) however, it really means that you are installing the DRIVER on the local computer to directly communicate with the printer. Unlike the Network option, where you are pointing to a driver on another system.

With that said, the only mistake you made was selecting the Network printer option at the very beginning.
Delete the printer you have created, and follow these steps.
1- Printers and Devices, select Add Printer
2- Select Local printer, and click Next
3- It will ask you to choose a printer port. Select Create a new port, and drop down the list and select "Standard TCP.IP port", click Next. If you get that "Additional information required" box, just select Generic NIC. There is no need to go to custom.
4- Click Have Disk and point to the driver package just as you did before
5- Select the Imagistics im5520/4720 PCL5e driver (THe DL550 may work as well)
6- If it asks you to use existing driver or replace existing driver, select replace.
7- Printer name - Does NOT have to be what the printer name on the config sheet reads. That printer name is for other network related things. You can name it whatever you want. Click NEXT
8- When you are prompted whether or not you want to share the printer, Select Do not share. There is no need to share a printer driver unless you intend to use this particular computer as a print server, where all your computers will be sending their print jobs to this computer to process.
9- Finish the wizard just like you did before, and you should be good to go.

agentx
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM
All access codes deleted

Old Printer configuration deleted

I did the following to set up another new printer per your direction:

1- Printers and Devices, select Add Printer

DONE

2- Select Local printer, and click Next

DONE

3- It will ask you to choose a printer port. Select Create a new port, and drop down the list and select "Standard TCP.IP port", click Next. If you get that "Additional information required" box, just select Generic NIC. There is no need to go to custom.

DONE

When I hit <NEXT> it asked me for the IP address. When I typed it in (192.168.2.142) the Port Name was automatically filled in with <192.168.2.142_2

I “unchecked” the box next to “Query Printer and automatically select driver to use.

<Next>

This is where I received the “additional port information required” and left it at Generic Network Card

4- Click Have Disk and point to the driver package just as you did before

DONE

5- Select the Imagistics im5520/4720 PCL5e driver (THe DL550 may work as well)

DONE

6- If it asks you to use existing driver or replace existing driver, select replace.

DID NOT ASK THIS

7- Printer name - Does NOT have to be what the printer name on the config sheet reads. That printer name is for other network related things. You can name it whatever you want. Click NEXT

DONE

8- When you are prompted whether or not you want to share the printer, Select Do not share. There is no need to share a printer driver unless you intend to use this particular computer as a print server, where all your computers will be sending their print jobs to this computer to process.

DONE

9- Finish the wizard just like you did before, and you should be good to go.

STILL WILL NOT PRINT TEST PAGE :-(

I noticed that when I went into the web utility is does not show a HDD installed if that matters.

I also went into the windows 7 troubleshooter and all that came back was that the computer could not communicate with the printer. That is a bit confusing since I can scan and email the scan from the copier and also can type the address into the web browser to get into the printer configuration from the same computer... so there is communication

kronical
06-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I must appologize, the default printer port is 9100, not 9000. Theoretically it will not matter as long as the printer port matches between the machine and the driver. However, on a port other than 9100 you may have a firewall blocking the communication.
If you have previously set the port to 9000 as I initially suggested, change it to 9100.
When you go to the driver Properties dialog, click on Ports tab then Configure Port button (make sure there are no jobs queued) and make sure it is set to RAW with port 9100.

Custom Search