PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Minolta DI2510f beeping

Custom Search

kronical
06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Hey guys, I have a DI2510f in the field that the customer has been complaining about randomly beeping at them. After numerous visits and verifying job histories and various other settings, I finally had the thing beep at me while onsite for the first time. Indeed, it was completely random. No jobs or communications being processed, no error codes or reboots, it just randomly beeps a single long beep. The machine is functional, however due to the location of the machine in the office, is quite annoying to the customer, who is reluctant to turn off all volumes on the device as it is a fax unit as well and does not want to miss the tone of faxes coming in.
Any thoughts or help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

fixthecopier
06-20-2011, 09:24 PM
start with firmware

BR549
06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think it does give 1 long beep after sending a fax. Are you sure it wasn't in auto redial?

kronical
06-20-2011, 11:36 PM
That's originally what I had thought, since the only information I had to go on was what the customer had told me, and referencing the job logs. Indeed there was a failed fax job due to the customer dialing out in email mode. However, there were no pending transmissions on my last visit when I actually had the beep occur while there. I suppose the only way to really confirm that is to have the machine print out tx reports for everything rather than just failed jobs. I have since educated the customer that they have to switch modes when sending faxes (email mode is default) so hopefully they are sending out properly now. This is what I have been suspecting all along but I guess until I set the reports to help 'prove' it we won't know for sure. Looking for other thoughts along the way in the meantime.

Thanks guys, and I will keep you posted as this progresses.

glasstec
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
turn volume botton down lol

kronical
06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
turn volume botton down lol
This is obviously a workaround, and not a functional solution.

UPDATE:
Firmware has been reflashed. This did not correct the issue.
There are no pending communications, and auto redial is off.
We are currently looking at removing the device from the network, as well as the fax line, to eliminate any network/fax traffic attempting to come into the device. I will post the results when we have them.
And no, the beep does not coincide with the machine powering down into sleep mode.
The only other thing I can think of is that there is some oddball setting somewhere in there that is causing this. Assuming we see no results disconnecting the machine, I would be inclined to do a full reset on the machine, which unfortunately will wipe all the machine counters as well. This is minor to us as there is a hard counter, and we can adjust our billing system to accomodate the reset, however I really would like to hold off on this reset until I am sure there is no other alternative, and can be sure that the issue will not persist afterwards.

Fortunately, the customer is being very patient with us on this one, but I would rather not try their patience...

That being said, any other thoughts?

kronical
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
UPDATE:

We have now done a full reset on the machine, eliminating all job histories and defauting all settings. Without network or fax lines connected, within 5 minutes of the reset, the machine gave the random beep. There was no activity on the machine, and the machine did not change states when the beep occurred.
At this point, one of the customers other employees had asked me if it was a coincidence that when they come in first thing in the morning and disarm their alarm, the machine would go through its reset (where the finisher cycles from upper limit to lower limit then back to home) Now generally if the last job done on the machine caused the finisher to move to another tray, it will go through this process after a period of time, however it is unlikely that it would wait until this time in the morning to do so. Thusly, it is looking like this is a power related issue within the building itself. As much as UPS's can cause odd issues, the customer will be getting one to test this theory, as it should at least eliminate the possibility of an outside power issue. Once this is done and we have some results I will post.

empiru
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
UPDATE:

We have now done a full reset on the machine, eliminating all job histories and defauting all settings. Without network or fax lines connected, within 5 minutes of the reset, the machine gave the random beep. There was no activity on the machine, and the machine did not change states when the beep occurred.
At this point, one of the customers other employees had asked me if it was a coincidence that when they come in first thing in the morning and disarm their alarm, the machine would go through its reset (where the finisher cycles from upper limit to lower limit then back to home) Now generally if the last job done on the machine caused the finisher to move to another tray, it will go through this process after a period of time, however it is unlikely that it would wait until this time in the morning to do so. Thusly, it is looking like this is a power related issue within the building itself. As much as UPS's can cause odd issues, the customer will be getting one to test this theory, as it should at least eliminate the possibility of an outside power issue. Once this is done and we have some results I will post.

Thanks for sharing that with us... can't wait to see the result with the UPS.

kronical
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us... can't wait to see the result with the UPS.

Hey sorry about the delay...

Customer never got the UPS to find out if they have dirty power. They did however get fed up and turned off all volumes. They have since upgraded machines and this machine was redeployed (customer sold it to another office) and the new customer wanted all sounds turned off anyways. Have not had any mention of odd behavior as experienced with the previous customer.
The customers new machine has not experienced any issues like this either.

So, that being said... who the f^$& knows.

Custom Search