PDA

View Full Version : Need to set C500/CPP500 to print text black, not cmyk from pdf file

Custom Search

Merv
06-25-2011, 02:08 AM
Is there a print arrangement setting to have it recognize text as text and pics as pics? Have used expert color settings on the Fiery rip and every time it prints text cmyk. When I print greyscale, no color, its fine.

KenB
06-25-2011, 02:41 AM
Are you sure that your text is "K" only?

A lot of people mix in a bit of C,M, and Y to make for a shiny, or "rich" black.

What applications are your pdfs starting off in, and how are the pdfs being created?

If possible, please post a sample pdf so that we can get a look at it using the appropriate tools.

Merv
06-26-2011, 04:01 PM
The file was created in Corel and then saved as pdf. A previous news letter printed fine, text printed K. We tried reprinting that old one again and it printed the text cmyk. So something changed on this machine. It is also putting out too much toner, I reset the density setting to -5 and it still seems to put out full bore. Set the quality settings to quick and the toner saver on.

Tried the expert settings in various configurations and it always came out the same way.

The files are pretty big, I'll see if I can attach one - 6 to 8 mb - This one printed fine two weeks back and today prints the text cmyk.

blackcat4866
06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe I'm just dense, but if you are selecting "color" print (so that the photos come out in color) the black must also be CMYK composite black.

Are you suggesting that the driver should be able to determine which incremental portions of the image are strictly K, and print those in K only, while the color portions remain CMYK? I've never heard of such a thing. AFAIK no digital copier does this.

Also the original text is not 100% K.
It's RGB: 34/30/31 or CMYK: 0%/12%/9%/87%
100% K is RGB 0/0/0 or CMYK: 0%/0%/0%/100%
In what way does this qualify as black only?

Look for yourself with ColorPic. =^..^=

Merv
06-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Okay, then the problem must be the over supply of toner. When we printed the issue I attached two weeks ago the black text came out as a dull black, not shiny and thick (like raised ink) with a coloured rainbow hue. Is there something, other than the density service adjustment and colour adjustments in the properties menu that could be changed to reduce the vast quantity of toner this is going through?

I have changed out the drums and the the toner assemblies, so it seems to have to be a circuit board issue or a service adjustment I can't seem to find.

Thanks for the colour lesson.

Thanks

blackcat4866
06-26-2011, 05:41 PM
I just had a thought (amazing, I know). Do you have a driver function called Print Text As Black?

This won't affect the banners and other artwork, but it will change the text. All text. Even the text in the photos. And text that is negatve will end up black on black (gone). =^..^=

Merv
06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Yup, tried that too but it made no difference. I have been going through the manual and can't find anything about an over supply of toner. The best analogy I can come up with is there must be a control switch on a circuit board that acts like a dining room light dimmer switch allowing more or less light (toner) as it is turned left to right. Sometimes a dimmer switch stays full on and that might be what has happened here. Even though the toner is measured out in the appropriate colour ratio (CMYK) volumes the supply seems to be completely maxed out. Using up toner at 3 to 4 times the rate it used to use.

All the ink, no matter what we print, seems thick and can even seem to flake off.

blackcat4866
06-26-2011, 06:20 PM
If you compare a black image printed as a color print from a pdf to a black image printed as a monochrome print from a pdf, I think you'll find that the toner is consistently thicker. Could you have possibly printed your original samples as monochrome prints? You could also try Eco-Print if you're concerned about toner usage.

I apologize if I'm not using the correct Konica-Minolta terminology. That's one of the manufacturers that I haven't worked with much. =^..^=

KenB
06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I most certainly agree; none of the text on the pages is pure black.

Which RIP do you have? This machine can use any one of 3 different Fieries (one internal and two external), or a Creo.

Merv
06-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Its a fiery rip. The one that is puking toner is an external rip. As for the text, mono or colour the previous weeks print was much lighter black but the pics were nice.

KenB
06-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Silly question, but have you calibrated the RIP recently?

Custom Search