PDA

View Full Version : Limit Color Print via Active Directory

Custom Search

Facch
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I have 2 Ricoh SP430DN printers and multiple MPFs (MPC2800, MPC3001, MPC4501 and MPC300SR) deployed. We use a Windows Server 2003 printer server and are currently using the Ricoh PCL6 Universal Print Driver. I'd like to control access to color printing capability by identifying a "ColorPrinting" group in active directory. Since, I'm a total newb to Ricoh configuration, is this something I can do? And does anyone have experience setting up the printer/mfp through Web Image Monitor (or telnet)?

Choro1dal
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
It is possible to restrict access to these devices, you will need to configure Windows Authentication for each device. The procedure can be found in the Windows Authentication section of the security manual for each device.

A couple of points additional points to note.

1. Enabling Windows Authentication on the MFDs will restrict access to all functions, (Copying, Scanning etc.) not just colour printing. If it's purely colour printing/copying you wish to restrict you should elect to run with User Code Authentication.

2. It is not possible to limit usage per account on Pre GW2009A+ controllers. It's either allow/disallow.

Facch
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Choro1dal,
Thanks for the response. I'll need to mess with this a little bit. I really only need to limit color printing/copying. I don't need users to authenticate each time they use the equipment. Fortunately, I don't need to limit all the printers/MFDs... just a select few.
Facch.

akewldewd
02-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Choro1dal,
Thanks for the response. I'll need to mess with this a little bit. I really only need to limit color printing/copying. I don't need users to authenticate each time they use the equipment. Fortunately, I don't need to limit all the printers/MFDs... just a select few.
Facch.

The is an "Valid Access" tab in the printers preferences box dialog box once user authentication is set up for each user and a code set up for each user you put the users code in the "user code" box on this tab and depending on which limits you assigned those limits will apply to this user when they print. it is not hard to set up, I have done it perhaps a dozen or so times.

you can use the web interface to set up the code for each user and the limits for each. they don't all have to be the same the limits are set for each individual user.

hope this helps at least a little. 28201 28202

These attach documents might help too. for those of you who need assistance with setting up either way discussed in this thread.

rthonpm
02-25-2015, 06:27 PM
With user code authentication for printing, you would only be required to have the user enter their code once, and save it in the driver. If colour copying is restricted with a user code, the only time they would be required to enter their code would be if they choose the option to copy in colour. AD groups get a little too messy in my experience unless you're trying to restrict an entire device, such as a device that prints sensitive material.

Custom Search