PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C450: Can I use Fiery and Emperon controller at the same time?

Custom Search

siradlib
07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Hello there,

we´ve got a Konica Minolta Bizhub C450 with Fiery IC-402.
Is it possible to use the Fiery and at the same time the internal Emperon controller by connecting a network switch between Fiery and Bizhub?
If I search in this forum, some people say yes (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/12064-c450-pc-faxing-ic402.html#post38498) and some say no (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/12746-scan-smb-troubles-km-c450-w-ic-402-controller.html#post41567). Has anyone checked this out?
If it works, how can I access network settings of the Emperon? Or what are the default network settings?

BIG PAPA
07-21-2011, 02:40 PM
My vote is no, being that you have to set the controller setting on the machine. But also the question is why you would want or need this.

siradlib
07-21-2011, 03:05 PM
My vote is no, being that you have to set the controller setting on the machine. But also the question is why you would want or need this.
Can you elaborate on your vote, please?
I´m asking because I see myself struggling with Mac OS X 10.7 in a few weeks, and Konica Minolta hasn´t even managed it to release a real 64 bit driver for IC-402 Fiery. A new driver is announced since July 2010 (http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/content/support/macosx.html) and I don´t think it´ll be actually released ever! (KM Germany even doesn´t know anything about this "July 2010 driver".)

Being able to use the Emperon would be one more option to gain printing possibilty for OS X 10.7 clients, hopefully.

AGI
07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
The answer is no, it's one or the other!

habik
07-21-2011, 05:21 PM
No as said above.

1,One Contoller settings in service mode
2,One controller interface board on top of the MFP board.

KenB
07-21-2011, 06:51 PM
That would be a big fat "No".

emujo
07-21-2011, 07:36 PM
With newer KMs you can, I'm not sure why the C450 would be any different. In fact we do this to allow the customer to take advantage of the easier scan functions the Emperon provides. I would verify this with the 450 by going into Fiery server setup...

Look for an "Obtain IP for Engine" and select yes.

Ask the IT admin to provide you 2 successive IP addresses for the copier, the lower one will be assigned to the Fiery within the setup screens. The higher will be assigned to the Emperon by the controller.

Put the C450 into DHCP assigning and allow the controller to give it an address ( you should see 172.X>X>X on the panel).

Open a web browser and try both IP addresses, one should open the Fiery interface, the other will open the Emperon.

Now you can use the functions the emperon offers ie SMB scanning, email, etc.

Keep in mind, I am only assuming the C450 can do this, but I am fairly certain it will. I will double check with my support guys and get back soon. Emujo

KenB
07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
While you may be able to use the Fiery to print and the internal controller for scanning, you can't use both to print with.

I can fully understand why you would want to do this, but unfortunately you can't.

I have a number of Ricoh machines in the field printing with the Fiery and scanning with the internal controller; that seems to be a very common change with various brands these days.

habik
07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Sorry I messed up. ,misread your question..what a looser I am.. :)

I initially thought you want 2 fiery's(1Fiery and 1Emperon) on 1 MFP ?!

Yes you can use internal MFP controller and External Fiery with switch in between. Do as Emujo described :)

AGI
07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Again, on the KM C450, it's one or the other, not both at the same time!
Some of the newer equipment may allow it, this one however does not.

siradlib
07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.
So what´s the fact now: Does it work or doesn´t it? I´m a bit confused, but I´m also sceptical that it´ll work to use both the Emperon and the Fiery.

@AGI: From where do you have your knowledge? I´m just curious about that.
I´m ruling out if I actually should give it a try or if it´s just a waste of time.

mrwho
07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
If you're still unsure with all the answers you got, then you should try for yourself and then give some feedback back so we can be all enlightened.

AGI
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
@AGI: From where do you have your knowledge? I´m just curious about that.
I have many of these C450's in the field with the Fiery controller and believe me, if there was a way to do this, I would have! Scanning with the Fiery Controller is no fun!

Since I'm new here, let me further explain my answer...

The C450 uses a scsi connection (left side, back) as communication between the machine and embedded controller. So, when you install the Fiery controller you must disconnect the scsi in order to connect the Fiery (they use the same connector). Secondly, you'll need to enter the service mode and tell the machine which controller is in use ("0" for embedded and "1" for optional - "0" is default).

By the simple task of doing the two things I outlined above, you render the embedded controller useless!

I hope this clears up any confusion for you.

-AGI

siradlib
07-22-2011, 02:29 PM
The C450 uses a scsi connection (left side, back) as communication between the machine and embedded controller. So, when you install the Fiery controller you must disconnect the scsi in order to connect the Fiery (they use the same connector). Secondly, you'll need to enter the service mode and tell the machine which controller is in use ("0" for embedded and "1" for optional - "0" is default).

Ah, this sheds some light on it... Thanks a lot!
I asked myself ever since why the SCSI connector is there, but I´m just the IT guy... :rolleyes:
Do you happen to know what the network connection between main unit and Fiery does? It looks sort of daisy chained like this:

Main Unit -> Fiery -> Network Jack (RJ 45)
I would have guessed the Fiery talks both to the network and to the main unit via this connection, but obviously I´m wrong as the SCSI connection is being used for that.

Btw., I´m just discovered the Fiery IC-402 driver for Mac OS X 10.5/10.6 does work when running Mac OS X 10.7, at least when you do an update 10.6 -> 10.7 and you have the Fiery installed before you start.
For now, I´m just puzzled how I should install this driver on a system which runs 10.7 (natively), because the driver´s installer is based on Rosetta (PPC emulator) and Rosetta has been abandoned from OS X 10.7... But there should be a way to get this running. :D

AGI
07-22-2011, 02:35 PM
The Fiery controller comes with its own RJ-45 connection! The one on the main body becomes useless once the Fiery is installed.

I haven't done anything with 10.7 yet, so I can't help you with those questions, sorry!

mmru4real
07-22-2011, 02:40 PM
On this machine it is one or the other, on the C451 or C452 you can use both, but not on this model.

AGI
07-22-2011, 02:42 PM
On this machine it is one or the other, on the C451 or C452 you can use both, but not on this model.
That is absolutely true...

mmru4real
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
That is absolutely true...
Yes that is absolutely true and you can take it to the bank lol, that is what was taught in KM school way back then.

siradlib
07-22-2011, 03:41 PM
The Fiery controller comes with its own RJ-45 connection! The one on the main body becomes useless once the Fiery is installed.

I haven't done anything with 10.7 yet, so I can't help you with those questions, sorry!

Just out of curiousity: So you can "cut" the network connection between Fiery and main body without any consequences?

And to give something back to this forum: If I get printer drivers up and running with OS X 10.7, is anyone interested? I´m just giving it a try inside a freshly installed virtual machine... :o

RRodgers
07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
With newer KMs you can, I'm not sure why the C450 would be any different. In fact we do this to allow the customer to take advantage of the easier scan functions the Emperon provides. I would verify this with the 450 by going into Fiery server setup...

Look for an "Obtain IP for Engine" and select yes.

Ask the IT admin to provide you 2 successive IP addresses for the copier, the lower one will be assigned to the Fiery within the setup screens. The higher will be assigned to the Emperon by the controller.

Put the C450 into DHCP assigning and allow the controller to give it an address ( you should see 172.X>X>X on the panel).

Open a web browser and try both IP addresses, one should open the Fiery interface, the other will open the Emperon.

Now you can use the functions the emperon offers ie SMB scanning, email, etc.

Keep in mind, I am only assuming the C450 can do this, but I am fairly certain it will. I will double check with my support guys and get back soon. Emujo

I believe his is correct.

emujo
07-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I thought I was wrong once before, but I was mistaken.....

After double checking I have proof that I am correct. I have attached a document that will explain how this is done and what the limitaions are. Emujo

Ianizer
07-24-2011, 03:28 AM

The answer to this is obvious. Redundant controllers are better than one controller.
The C550 and C552 have this ability. It's like having two printers in one.

If it's possible, Siradlib, it's news to me.

However...

It's quite handy to have an Emperon driver set loaded. Rename it something like "Konica Backup" (or other identifying label) and instruct the customer not to try and use it. (If a shared network driver, simply don't add it at the client level.)

In the event the Fiery goes down, it's a little fancy footwork on site, and the customer is printing again.

-I

Custom Search