PDA

View Full Version : Jamming J-3204 error when running 6.5x9 cardstock out of tray 5

Custom Search

qualityprintersllc
07-21-2011, 05:56 PM
As the title says, I was trying to run #100 card stock face up out of tray 5. Without fail it jammed every sheet and spat out the J-3204 error code; opening the indicated part to remove the jam revealed the sheet to be askew between the rollers, as though it was too small for the machine to feed it through in a straight line. I tried printing in both short and long position, and bending the paper a bit to see if that would help it get past the rollers. No dice. I ended up having to run it through the bypass tray of our C500, which worked fine.

Any ideas what could be causing this? As the sheet size wasn't too small for what the machine is capable of, I'm curious why it wasn't able to feed it correctly.

Darren King
07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Hard to give advice without the model of copier, however, usually it is tray one and the bypass that are designed to handle thick paper.
Hope this helps
Darren

qualityprintersllc
07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Woops, sorry! It's a KM C6500.

Ianizer
07-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Qualityprinters,

Setting
I am interested in your 100# stock spec.
What is the gm² (grams per meter squared)?
(If it's index stock, should be about 270ish.)
You will notice you have a gm² range setting for your trays.
Understanding this number will get you to the appropriate setting.
Find. That. Number.
(If you absolutely can't determine it, all you need's a postal scale. I have a formula that can help.)
If it's a C2S (coated-2-side) stock, use the Coated or GlossGL selection.

Troubleshooting
Deprive the bypass of paper. Send your job.
The out-of-paper print alert is your friend. It will tell you, to a degree, what's wrong.
Stop. Read the alert. What does it say? "Load 270-gm² 6.5x9" paper in the bypass"? (Or something to that effect?)
No?

Please post results.

-I

qualityprintersllc
07-25-2011, 04:06 PM
The stock was a client supplied cardstock, so we didn't have the exact specs on it. It felt about the same as #100 cougar, so I ran it face up on the heaviest gm2 weight in tray 5 just to be safe. It wasn't coated.

Our 6500 doesn't have a bypass. When I ran it out of tray 5 I never received an out of paper error; the problem arose after it had already printed and was making a second loop through the fuser unit. I'm not sure what the exact point in the machine is called, but it corresponds to knob M5. When it reached that point the paper skewed and it threw out the J-3204 error. I had to remove the paper from that point and open and close the door on the finishing unit (the door directly to the left of the section with the fuser unit) to clear the error.

Ianizer
07-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Hm... Just thinking out load here...

Paper setting seems fine. Let's rule it out as a possible problem, mkoy?...

3204 jam... PS17 isn't turning off.
Post-jam skew. Suggests a physical obstruction. Whether debris or guide/roller problem... Maybe catch jam where it skews and really dig in with a light and probe, disturbing the jammed sheet as little as possible.

This sounds like a mechanical jamming issue. The skew suggests everything is doing its job but the paper is hanging. Where? Why?

I submit that J-3204 is a mere symptom. PS17 is doing its job famously. You got a bogy.

Please post results.

-I

lucky13
07-28-2011, 07:02 AM
The stock was a client supplied cardstock, so we didn't have the exact specs on it. It felt about the same as #100 cougar, so I ran it face up on the heaviest gm<SUP>2</SUP> weight in tray 5 just to be safe. It wasn't coated.<BR><BR>Our 6500 doesn't have a bypass. When I ran it out of tray 5 I never received an out of paper error; "the problem arose after it had already printed and was making a second loop through the fuser unit". I'm not sure what the exact point in the machine is called, but it corresponds to knob M5. When it reached that point the paper skewed and it threw out the J-3204 error. I had to remove the paper from that point and open and close the door on the finishing unit (the door directly to the left of the section with the fuser unit) to clear the error. 2nd loop through the fuser ? were you trying to duplex this stock

Ianizer
07-29-2011, 05:38 AM
2nd loop through the fuser ? were you trying to duplex this stock That struck me to... Must have gotten distracted... Or printing face down... -I

Custom Search