PDA

View Full Version : Konica C500 finisher problem

Custom Search

henry finley
07-23-2011, 09:55 PM
On my new Konica C500, it has one annoying problem just like the other one. It has the 606 finisher, I believe--the staple/fold/post inserter one, andit seems to pick either theupper tray or the normal one to deliver flat sheets to, with no rhyme or reason.When it get it in its craw to use the upper one, I have to put up with all these jam ups. But when it decides to use that one, there's nothing it's going to let you do to get it to use the normal one. Very irritating.I've already tried the 15-7-1 trick, but when it wants to go there, you're not going to stop it. What in the hell is up with this damn thing?SO IRRITATING. Sorry, the cursor won't appear on this text and I cannot correct typos.

empiru
07-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Have you tried to play around a little bit with the settings for the Finisher in the Key Operator Mode -> Memory Switch Setting? And in the driver of your machine, in the "configuration" (or something like that) tab, have you selected the option for the computer to communicate with the Fiery, so that it "knows" that the machine has a finisher attached?

henry finley
07-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Have you tried to play around a little bit with the settings for the Finisher in the Key Operator Mode -> Memory Switch Setting? And in the driver of your machine, in the "configuration" (or something like that) tab, have you selected the option for the computer to communicate with the Fiery, so that it "knows" that the machine has a finisher attached?
Thank you. Yes on the 2-way and the updating. So far as key-op, the only such possible choice I see that might be pertinent is #50--auto-select binding mode, which is presently "ON".
What in the world would make the machine put out something like a 19inch sheet to that little bitty upper tray? A 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 one also? Why would they even put the upper tray on the machine? It's useless at best. But when it decides to use it, you're NOT going to stop it. And you're going to have endless jam-ups.

empiru
07-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Hm... may I suggest a new version of firmware?
And if I recall correctly, these machines make a difference on the output for different stock types... for e.g., 250 gsm stock is always put out on the sub tray... because you can't apply any finishing operations on it, it's too thick ;)
And concerning the jams, I'm going to tell you what I do when I get jams on a copier, or FS, or any other option unit... I open the front door, fold a sheet of paper and stick it in the sensor, so the machine "thinks" I closed the door and I closely observe (with a flashlight) the path of the paper - in 90% of cases, you see immediately what causes the jams... try it.
:) Sorry for re-editing this so many times... have I got the wrong idea about the jams? Are you just saying that the upper tray is too little and it causes jams? If so, sorry... I promise I won't edit this post anymore :D

henry finley
07-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Hm... may I suggest a new version of firmware?
And if I recall correctly, these machines make a difference on the output for different stock types... for e.g., 250 gsm stock is always put out on the sub tray... because you can't apply any finishing operations on it, it's too thick ;)
And concerning the jams, I'm going to tell you what I do when I get jams on a copier, or FS, or any other option unit... I open the front door, fold a sheet of paper and stick it in the sensor, so the machine "thinks" I closed the door and I closely observe (with a flashlight) the path of the paper - in 90% of cases, you see immediately what causes the jams... try it.
:) Sorry for re-editing this so many times... have I got the wrong idea about the jams? Are you just saying that the upper tray is too little and it causes jams? If so, sorry... I promise I won't edit this post anymore :D
Not sure what you mean about "editing this post". And it's only on #2 stock setting (pretty thin). And so far as firmware--I am a user and have no means of fooling with the machine's built-in software. What I don't get is that the main tray is selected in the print dialog, yet it chooses the upper (sub) tray anyhow. I'm going to investigate updating the Fiery from it's punchbuttons. This is not the finisher that came with this machine. The one that came with it had no post inserter, might not have been a booklet finisher at all. So I used this one off the old machine, and it mis-behaves here just like it did on the other one. When it gets its notion to use the sub tray, it might work without jamming, and it might not. All I know is when it gets in this mood, headaches are just around the corner. I'd do very well to roll it away and let the work spit right out the slot into a box. But it DOES make very nice booklets. Thank you.

empiru
07-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Are you sure you have the right driver for the Fiery? Is it downloaded straight from the Fiery, or from the internet? I would recommend the one that comes with the Fiery...

henry finley
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Are you sure you have the right driver for the Fiery? Is it downloaded straight from the Fiery, or from the internet? I would recommend the one that comes with the Fiery...
That IS a sticking point. The Fiery is Version 1.2--the one that came with it. I'm using 1.1 on my computer, which I got from the Konica-Minolta site. They also have a v 2.0, but there is no 1.2. So I chose 1.1 because experience with the v2.0 has shown that the post-inserter option was not in it (strangely).
The job I am presently fighting is going to obviously force me to put my old 2.0 Fiery on the machine, or roll away the finisher and install the other. Seems like every job I do has some quirk that turns a 100 dollar job into a 2-day battle with strange stupid quirks. Wish I had just a blasted tray to hang on the side of the copier. A box on the floor causes a lot of jogging.
I think technology would have done us all a service to just freeze at about 1982. These machines were a bad idea.

empiru
07-24-2011, 12:25 AM
:)) Ok, don't be mad at tehnology, I personally love it , and love the fact that it is developing every day...Now back to your problem; please try the following: Go to the Fiery, enter the Menu -> Print Pages -> Configuration; You will see there an IP address, under the "Network" menu... Open a Web Browser, enter that IP address instead of a usual www address; When it opens, you will see a "WebTools" button, on the left side; click it (make sure you have Java installed); a pop-up window will open where you can find an "Installer" button and there is the driver for that specific Fiery. Install that driver and I am pretty confident it will work; I think it's a lot easier than having to change Fierys and Finishers every time you have a problem..

Custom Search