PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous KM6030, Drum arcing

Custom Search

Big Al
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
:confused::confused: I have this 6030 that is putting random "track marks" about 2 mm wide running lead to trail but in various lengths and always ending with a solid black dot. I have exchanged the entire drum carriage and transfer units with no change. It also puts dirty bands on the backside of the copy before fusing. This is a new model to me so any help would be appreciated.

blackcat4866
08-18-2011, 10:10 PM
When you say drum carriage do you mean drum, cleaning unit, developing unit, & primary charge? What are the intervals on the dots? Run a ledger page to check intervals. This sounds a lot like pinholes in the drum caused by charge arcing. Those parts should also have covered it.

Hmmm ... look at the black separation assy just before the fuser. Is the mylar worn through? =^..^=

Big Al
08-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Trust me when I say random. There is no pattern to the tracks. I swapped all three complete carriages, drum-developer,charge, and cleaning units, fuser-transfer-paper conveyance, and the duplex unit with another machine and the problem persisted in the machine, not the carriages. The customer described the tracks as "worms" in different places on the copies.

blackcat4866
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
From how you are describing it, it sounds as though the cleaning unit or developing unit is dumping toner intermittently on the transfer belt, then on the next rotation of the transfer belt it gets transferred to the back of the copy. Perhaps the lower cleaning seal has collected a scrap of paper or foreign matter. Perhaps the developing unit has collected some foreign matter. It won't be overtoning, because this is monocomponent. Either you have toner, or you don't, that's it.

I have some questions.

Is this OEM toner? Theoretically swapping the developing unit in would have temporarily given you some OEM toner (in the developing unit).

Are these ledger size prints being output face down to the DF-650 finisher? Ledger size prints make a second pass under the drum face down as they are inverted for face down delivery. It doesn't count as a copy (or copies), but travels along the same path. Letter size prints are inverted via a different path, and do not pass below the drum.

The thing that throws me is that the defect is on the backside.

You may not be aware that this model has had problems with upper fuser roller cleaning in the past. There was a firmware update to add adjustments to the advance rate of the web. In short you need to triple the web advance speed to keep the fuser roller clean, and thusly use three webs per maintenance cycle. When you're ready for it, I can provide you with the simulations to make those corrections, or you can just search it here on the forum. It has been discussed. But you say it's happening before the fuser, so that's not pertinent.

It's funny that you customer would call the defect "toner worms". This is what we called primary charge issues on various other machines. And they do look just like worms have been crawling in a wavy path, generally in the feed direction.

Not knowing the condition of the parts you are swapping in, I'm going to recommend re-stringing the primary wires, and cleaning up the primary unit. Use (2A068240) Kyocera gold corona wire. Nothing else will last 500K. I know this because I've tried just about every possibility. Also make sure that you're using OEM toner. How close are you to the 500K maintenance (U251)?

Please make some more observations. Maybe I'll think of something. =^..^=

habik
08-18-2011, 11:45 PM
wow...

the only thing that is left is exit rollers or guides just before the paper goes to finisher. OR If WEB rotation is set to low 30(default) I think it can leave in high volumes residues if toner on the WEB in larger proportion and can sqeeze a tiny bit of sticky toner through fuser and leaves a mark on front of copy. That is the only thing I can think of. Or as Blackcat suggested the Black separator guide just before fuser tends to wear out causing smudging in thin line. but iif you have swapped the whole carriage..hmm:confused:

just to confirm again ..you have swapped the whole carriages with another machine:

IMAGE Carriage( Drum,MC,PTC, Dev,Cleaning unit, Toner)

FUSER Carriage ( Registration, Transfer Belt, Fuser unit, Vertical Conveyence)

Duplex Carriage (Duplex unit as a lot)

habik
08-18-2011, 11:48 PM
From how you are describing it, it sounds as though the cleaning unit or developing unit is dumping toner intermittently on the transfer belt, then on the next rotation of the transfer belt it gets transferred to the back of the copy. Perhaps the lower cleaning seal has collected a scrap of paper or foreign matter. Perhaps the developing unit has collected some foreign matter. It won't be overtoning, because this is monocomponent. Either you have toner, or you don't, that's it.

I have some questions.

Is this OEM toner? Theoretically swapping the developing unit in would have temporarily given you some OEM toner (in the developing unit).

Are these ledger size prints being output face down to the DF-650 finisher? Ledger size prints make a second pass under the drum face down as they are inverted for face down delivery. It doesn't count as a copy (or copies), but travels along the same path. Letter size prints are inverted via a different path, and do not pass below the drum.

The thing that throws me is that the defect is on the backside.

You may not be aware that this model has had problems with upper fuser roller cleaning in the past. There was a firmware update to add adjustments to the advance rate of the web. In short you need to triple the web advance speed to keep the fuser roller clean, and thusly use three webs per maintenance cycle. When you're ready for it, I can provide you with the simulations to make those corrections, or you can just search it here on the forum. It has been discussed. But you say it's happening before the fuser, so that's not pertinent.

It's funny that you customer would call the defect "toner worms". This is what we called primary charge issues on various other machines. And they do look just like worms have been crawling in a wavy path, generally in the feed direction.

Not knowing the condition of the parts you are swapping in, I'm going to recommend re-stringing the primary wires, and cleaning up the primary unit. Use (2A068240) Kyocera gold corona wire. Nothing else will last 500K. I know this because I've tried just about every possibility. Also make sure that you're using OEM toner. How close are you to the 500K maintenance (U251)?

Please make some more observations. Maybe I'll think of something. =^..^=

hehe we think of the same thing, this time you were faster :) ..I just forgot the OEM toner as I thought he was changing the whole units not just parts. a.e.carriage

blackcat4866
08-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I've noticed that our posts read similarly. We think alike. =^..^=

n25an
08-19-2011, 03:14 AM
put a new developer unit in or vacuum out the old developer unit and run a u130....

Big Al
08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out to be a charge problem after all, but with the High Voltage PWB, part #2FB28150. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

habik
08-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Well Done!

Custom Search