PDA

View Full Version : any set up techs?

Custom Search

tpolley
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
i'm an in-house set up tech. we sell new and used canon and ricoh (lanier) copiers. everything that we sell goes thru my shop.

i'm always looking to improve and streamline my setup process.

right now i'm working on 3 used copiers that came back from a construction company. they're filthy. i've spent the last 2 hours wiping the outside with a combination of simple green and "D" ink. it's nothing for me to spend 6 hours just cleaning some used machines. this dust and grime gets EVERYWHERE! i'm having to use q-tips to get in the tight spots. i'm not even half way thru. i still have the inside to clean. i've been doing this for 6 years and this is one of the worst machines i've had to clean. my hands and finger tips are suffering. i have to stop every so often and wash my hands and apply lotion.

i've been trying to get the owners to install a big utility sink but they won't do that. there's no water hook up and there's no drain anywhere near the shop. we have a kitchen-ette up front but customers frequent that area and they don't want me to mess it up. i thought about buying a portable dish washer to hook up in the kitchen-ette. i would still have to get the heavy stains with "D" ink before washing.

how do y'all clean used equipment?

mojorolla
08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
What about a parts washing station? It is basically a sink atop a 55 gallon drum. Real nice to have for cleaning greasy parts. We had one at my previous place of employment and it was great.

Solvent-Based Parts Washers and other Parts Washing Equipment at MSCDirect.com. (http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Lubricants-Coolants-Fluids/Parts-Washing-Solvents-Solutions-Equipment/Solvent-Based-Parts-Washers/_/N-77enu?cm_re=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Solvent-Based+Parts+Washers)
:)

nightshade
08-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Our setup area is fairly barren too. I have been requesting a dishwasher for the set up guys for years. For covers and other pieces that can get wet.

I have found that a good foaming cleaner and an air compressor will work wonders on the tight areas.

Also use the foaming cleaner instead of simple green. It will work much better on a dirty machine and wont dry up too quick.

I live by Betco products. Betco Cidebit, a green scratch pad and good shop cloths. And contact cleaner for removing sticker and tape goo. Takes it right off.

copierguru
08-31-2011, 08:19 PM
i use hot water in a big tote bin with a mixure of purple power and kork rub. panels look brand new.

blackcat4866
09-01-2011, 01:15 AM
This is sort of unusual. When we were rebuilding Mita DC313Z by the dozens, we would have one guy on covers duty. I have no idea why I never had to do a turn at it. In our office at the time we had a shower stall, and the guy on covers duty would bring a bathing suit and a stiff scrub brush. After 3 or 4 hours in the shower you can get pretty wrinkly, but the covers look great. =^..^=

nightshade
09-01-2011, 02:21 AM
This is sort of unusual. When we were rebuilding Mita DC313Z by the dozens, we would have one guy on covers duty. I have no idea why I never had to do a turn at it. In our office at the time we had a shower stall, and the guy on covers duty would bring a bathing suit and a stiff scrub brush. After 3 or 4 hours in the shower you can get pretty wrinkly, but the covers look great. =^..^=

This is one post that I am glad doesn't have any pictures attached!!

JR2ALTA
09-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Grimy copiers are tough. Luckily we buy used copiers that only needed to be air compressed and wiped down.

While, it's amazing what crap wholesalers will sell us, totally filthy disgusting copiers aren't one of them.

Ianizer
09-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Use what works. There's no easy way to make nasty clean.

As for the hands -- one word -- gloves.

-I

Venom
09-01-2011, 11:55 AM

One would assume that they didn't ask you to do cover duty because they didn't want to see you in a thong.....LOL :D

blackcat4866
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
One would assume that they didn't ask you to do cover duty because they didn't want to see you in a thong.....LOL :D

Twenty years ago and 20# ago it would have made a better picture, but not exactly frightening just yet.
I'm setting up the camera right now ...

=^..^=

kyoceran
09-18-2011, 12:31 PM
time to educate your wholesalers that dirty machines will not be accepted, and that their are many alternative suppliers, in the UK most wholesalers supply good clean machines to their credit, and when problems do arise they are helpful.

Custom Search