PDA

View Full Version : The creation of a new copier

Custom Search

mrwho
09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
I believe that, in every copier brand out there, every time they intend to design a new machine, they gather around a big round table and discuss what the machine should be like, how much it will cost, what it's supposed to do, the whole thing.

Around that table there are the usual suspects: the guy from accounting, the marketing guy, the engineers, and, as it should be, a tech with actual field experience.

But I suspect that before most of those meetings they go like

"Hey, shhh! Don't let the tech guy know about this, but we're going to design a new model"

"Well, shouldn't we call him?"

"Screw him! He's a pain in the ass, always like 'Hey, but if you do that then it will be more difficult to repair it in the field' or 'If you cut expenses like that then the machine will break more often' etc etc."

"Oh yeah, right!"

"So, keep a tight lip and go call the marketing guy - this can't be done without him"

So, when an actual serviceable machine comes out the production line, we know they were already at the round table when the tech guy walks by and goes

"So, you're designing a new model and didn't bother to call me?"

"Wh-what? Nobody told you?"

Sorry, just venting...

gwaddle
09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Sad but true.

ZOOTECH
09-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I believe that, in every copier brand out there, every time they intend to design a new machine, they gather around a big round table and discuss what the machine should be like, how much it will cost, what it's supposed to do, the whole thing.

Around that table there are the usual suspects: the guy from accounting, the marketing guy, the engineers, and, as it should be, a tech with actual field experience.

"Hey, shhh! Don't let the tech guy know about this, but we're going to design a new model"

"Screw him! He's a pain in the ass, always like 'Hey, but if you do that then it will be more difficult to repair it in the field' or 'If you cut expenses like that then the machine will break more often' etc etc."

"Oh yeah, right!"

"So, keep a tight lip and go call the marketing guy - this can't be done without him"

So, when an actual serviceable machine comes out the production line, we know they were already at the round table when the tech guy walks by and goes

Sorry, just venting...
And then, the BETA testing (at the customer's location :mad: ) to find out that a tech should have been at the table.

mo0651
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Copier companies need an option for their copiers. An operation panel option, that bolts on, and just has a big green start button. No options to select, no thought process, just make copies! that way no goof ups by operators.:cool:

gwaddle
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Copier companies need an option for their copiers. An operation panel option, that bolts on, and just has a big green start button. No options to select, no thought process, just make copies! that way no goof ups by operators.:cool:

You are wise.

fixthecopier
09-28-2011, 09:21 PM

I have been pushing for that as an Army copier for years.

fixthecopier
09-28-2011, 09:24 PM

"Oh yeah, right!"

Sorry, just venting...

You forgot the part when the machine makes the worst copier ever list, it is the techs fault for not being at the meeting.

Ollie1981
09-28-2011, 11:07 PM

We used to have something similar to that on pay per copy machines in supermarkets, it was a metal thing that fitted over the normal ops panel of the copier and replaced the interface with big dumbass friendly primary coloured buttons with big writing on them.

There were still people stupid enough to not understand that!

I think sometimes though, people can be wilfully stupid. They go through life hoping that by whining like a bitch, somebody else will come and sort it out for them.

That's why I wish somebody would actually hire Triple T, the office linebacker.

http://youtu.be/RzToNo7A-94

Remember:- ​YOU KILL THE JOE, YOU MAKE SOME MO!!

blackcat4866
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM

There are plenty of places that need that. No enlargement/reduction, no border erase, no negative copying, just a big start button-that's it. =^..^=

JR2ALTA
09-29-2011, 02:15 AM
There are plenty of places that need that. No enlargement/reduction, no border erase, no negative copying, just a big start button-that's it. =^..^=

Would it be insulting to suggest to a customer of sound mind and body to keep machine in "Accessibility Mode" ?

blackcat4866
09-29-2011, 02:24 AM
I've got a couple of factory locations that prefer the "Accessibility View". They call it the "Simple View". It's hard not to laugh. =^..^=

otuvak
09-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Need to invent the jitter bug copier!

igi
09-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi all

i know the real reason why tech is not invited.

that way they can blame us for anything that goes wrong.

:)

Venom
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Years ago we had copiers in a college and we painted the underside of the glass with white paint so only a letter sized document could be seen on the glass...it sure helped them with placing paper on in right direction and skyshots didn't happen anymore.

Tonerbomb
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Years ago we had copiers in a college and we painted the underside of the glass with white paint so only a letter sized document could be seen on the glass...it sure helped them with placing paper on in right direction and skyshots didn't happen anymore.

Did that back in the day!! And how many service calls have been generated by a customer accidentally pushing the simplified display button????

fixthecopier
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Overheard at a design engineer meeting at Konica Minolta...

Bob... Ray, we were looking at the new design and noticed you can remove the toner system by only removing 8 screws.
Ray... Damn Bob, I don't know how that happened, I will take care of that.
Bob...Get Joe in here. He is a genius at overlapping panels and covers. He did the Bizhub 420/500 design. You almost have to gut the whole machine to change anything.
Ray...Ha, Ha, Ha, I laugh every time I picture one of those old copy techs on the floor cussing about how the machine is designed.
Bob...Yep, good times, ha, ha.

jonezy999
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Overheard at a design engineer meeting at Konica Minolta...

Bob... Ray, we were looking at the new design and noticed you can remove the toner system by only removing 8 screws.
Ray... Damn Bob, I don't know how that happened, I will take care of that.
Bob...Get Joe in here. He is a genius at overlapping panels and covers. He did the Bizhub 420/500 design. You almost have to gut the whole machine to change anything.
Ray...Ha, Ha, Ha, I laugh every time I picture one of those old copy techs on the floor cussing about how the machine is designed.
Bob...Yep, good times, ha, ha.

HAHAHA. Pure gold, although I've never worked one one of those machines, I feel the pain.

skynet
09-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Overheard at a design engineer meeting at Lexmark

Fred : "I have noticed that the drums and transfer belt on a Lexmark X940 are so simple to replace the engineer may soon get bored with this one."

Bill (The designer) : "Yes we are aware of that so to change the developers requires 3 chapters of the service manual and guarantees a layer of spilt toner on the customers carpet, this can lead to two different results. Firstly changing the devs fixes the problem, secondly the problem is not fixed either way the customer has spilt toner on their carpet. This has the added benefit of the engineer improving their customer handling techniques."

skynet
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Great when it works-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRr21oLXW2o

Jimbo1
09-10-2012, 09:05 PM

I vote in favor of going paperless!

Custom Search