PDA

View Full Version : c6501 in Office Setting - Noise Control Tips?

Custom Search

anielsen
10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
We just got a c6501 for our office. We do enough in-house catalog printing to warrant a production graphics machine.

The noise level created by the copier while it is sleeping is pretty high. I have already tweaked the power save settings so that it automatically "shuts down" after 30 minutes. The bulk of the sound is coming from the fan of the controller. Are there any practical solutions to reduce the "sound pollution" of this copier?

Ianizer
10-16-2011, 04:04 AM
Reminds me of the introduction of The Colonel, code name for KBM's premier digital effort some years back, the 7050.

(Quite a machine, I might add, the fledgeling [at least for KBM] concept of Scan Once-Print Many being a huge selling point "upstairs" and, as it turns out, a big hit in the marketplace.)

Among several initial complaints we field grunts recieved was the idling noise factor, a distracting high-pitched whine. High-volume digital imaging technology being reletively new to the workplace it took but a moment's head-scratching before we quickly realized the write unit's polygon mirror motor (which, if I remember my theory manual correctly, idled at about 65K rpms) could be adjusted to spin down to various speeds within various time frames at idle.

Stay with me

The idea was to address the issue based on the particular customer's noise tollerance, with the caveat that commanding the motor to spin to a stop immediately after a given job would delay the FCOT (first copy out time) of the next job while the polygon motor powered back up to speed. It was also said to be extremely hard on the motor (Which is true. I replaced more than one.)

Fast forward

Bizhub pro6501 is a color machine. It has four polygon mirror motors. With technology improving over time, I would imagine the noise somewhat less than the 7050's small Cesna engine-powered write unit, but would still be noticable in an eclosed office environment.

Cutting to the chase

According to my service manual, it appears C6501's polygon motor cannot be told to stop, but can be set to spin down to 2/3 speed at job end, which should significantly reduce the noise.

You might ask your service provider to investigate the setting...

It can't be any worse than changing all four toners and developer housings in a Xerox WC7345 because it "smells funny".

-I

anielsen
10-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Now that is an answer, thank you. I'll talk to the tech and see what they can do. I'm glad that I have a direction I can point them in.

Ianizer
10-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Now that is an answer, thank you. I'll talk to the tech and see what they can do. I'm glad that I have a direction I can point them in.

:-) Well, I hope it was helpful, if wordy.

You might consider explaining your wishes and discussing the matter with your service provider to determine the best solution. ;)

-I

Custom Search