PDA

View Full Version : fax forward

Custom Search

dmclester
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a bizhub 423 utilizing fax forward. My client turns his server off each evening at 5. He turns it on at 8 in the morning. Is there any way to program this forwarding to hold all incoming faxes until the server is turned on and then have it forward .

blackcat4866
10-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Nope. The server has to be on to receive a forward. Just leave the server on.

I had a tree hugger customer that turned off and unplugged all MFPs, computers, server, etc. every night. Funny thing: every day the MFP had a new DHCP address and I couldn't figure out why. I asked if they'd had a power outage. The other employees were all grinning at each other. They explained their power off policy, and how they were saving tons of energy.

I suggested that this will create a lot of problems. Due to their offsite SMTP, the MFP had to have a DHCP address. It was the only way scan to email worked. When they called me out the following day for the same thing, I wrote a bill. That was the last time. =^..^=

KenB
10-20-2011, 03:31 AM
I totally agree with Blackcat. These devices simply are not made to be turned on and off, in fact they are specifically designed to be left on, just like his server. (I don't think my 6 year old Dell server at home has been off for more than 20 hours or so since it was brand new. It's only been turned off for maintenance or during nasty thunderstorms.)

If he absolutely insists on shutting things down, assuming his email is hosted offsite, I would think the MFP could forward the faxes to email, although I don't know these models.

That way, it would be a non-issue.

emujo
10-20-2011, 06:18 PM
If he's just trying to save paper, he could send faxes to the memory in box, but it would still require making these changes every night, and then re-setting in the am. With fax forwarding, it's either yes or no, not during specific times. Emujo

pepper38_cnd
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Try leaving the machine the way it is and just pulling out the paper drawers so the faxes stay in memory. Don't push the drawers back in until the server is ready and online. I'm not sure if the MFp will then forward the faxes when it is reconnected to the server or not but it is worth a try. Otherwise just let them let the faxes print out and scan them to the server when it is back up. This whole idea of turn the stuff off is total nonsense.

emujo
10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Kinda agree with Pepper, too much of a hassel. Sounds like customer needs a fax server, instead of trying to make the MFP do cartwheels. Emujo

dmclester
10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for all of the replys. I don't understand the server shutdown either. I have not found a way to incorporate the Bizhub into his work flow. I did however get the Ricoh to perform this function using store and forward. Go figure.

Custom Search