PDA

View Full Version : Cant Scan Using Hostname

Custom Search

k130
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Hi all
I counter a problem where I cant scan through a hostname using ftp and smb method. Already entered the dns server name and dns ip number for smb but also failed. The login and the password checked and correct. But if I use ip address the scan can get through. It just cant scan if I configure it using hostname. Can someone tell me why? For smb, the folder has been shared to everyone. And when I ping the hostname, it reply successfully.

Thanks

emujo
11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Are you pinging the host name from the copier, or from a workstation? Emujo

TheOwl
11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I have encountered the same sort of scenario, but this is usually sorted out within 24 hours.

Some DNS servers require a longer ammount of time to populate the machines info which in turn, then allows the machine to use DNS Hostnames. If you are still having issues 1 day later, try making sure the DDNS is enabled on the machine.

k130
11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Are you pinging the host name from the copier, or from a workstation? Emujo

yes emujo. i did ping from machine using both ip and hostname+domain. ping reply. make me feel very sick. btw, thanks for reply! :)

I have encountered the same sort of scenario, but this is usually sorted out within 24 hours.

Some DNS servers require a longer ammount of time to populate the machines info which in turn, then allows the machine to use DNS Hostnames. If you are still having issues 1 day later, try making sure the DDNS is enabled on the machine.

erm.. ok, very reasonable. erm.. ddns huh? ok.. nice info.. thank you, thank you. next time i visit the place again, and if still cant scan using hostname, i try to enable ddns. i will let you know the result. thanks again theowl! :)

TheOwl
11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
What Emujo is getting at is that from the copier, you can run a ping test from the machine to something else on the network. This will give you a better understanding of the machines DNS setup.

DDNS is Dynamic Domain Name System. With this enable, the machine will talk to the DNS server more frequently and ask that the DNS server updates itself rather than waiting for a random DNS update from the DNS server itself.

Mr Spock
11-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Some konica minolta machines require the host name to be in all caps also. I found this out the hard way.

ptrflrs
11-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Some konica minolta machines require the host name to be in all caps also. I found this out the hard way. agreed, i took a while but eventually found this out

k130
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
What Emujo is getting at is that from the copier, you can run a ping test from the machine to something else on the network. This will give you a better understanding of the machines DNS setup.

DDNS is Dynamic Domain Name System. With this enable, the machine will talk to the DNS server more frequently and ask that the DNS server updates itself rather than waiting for a random DNS update from the DNS server itself.

is it possible that some machine do not have the ddns setting? today i attend only 3 bh250 and one canon. i search around the menu but seems fail to find the ddns setting. probably available only in the bizhub machine that their main body coloured with darker black and white. i already set dns enable and dns ip address. the best part is last week they can scan using hostname and this week something change somewhere and they cant scan using hostname.

Some konica minolta machines require the host name to be in all caps also. I found this out the hard way.

hehehe.. i met this before. cant remember what model. but since then, the first try i will make sure the hostname is in capital letter and domain with the small letter. hehehe.. i cant remember how long it took me to find this, but sure it almost like 1hr 30 min. it just my lucky guess. really want to scream out loud that time.

Custom Search