PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 421 printing problem...

Custom Search

bseeley1844
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok any opinions help here I am getting stumped.

I have this bizhub 421 installed with an IC-207 and no hdd just a compact flash.

It is in a large school environment with a lot of other machines but no Konicas. The problem is it just stops printing. It worked good for a year and now it doesn't want to print anymore. I can still ping the machine, I can still email out I just can't get the job to even show up at the printer it stays at the computer.

Twice I have changed the IP address to something else and had this problem resolved for a month. Then the problem comes back. When it comes back it is worse and worse. Locks up more often and more often. When it locks up it is locked up pretty bad to the point where I have to really wait to even be able to hook my laptop up to print to it. ***When I do get it going though I can print fine with my laptop (no lock ups) Then as soon as I plug the machine into their network it goes right back to locking up immediately. I understand this IT guys point of view that all of his other machines are working fine but I am in a tough spot here I can't seem to figure out why this won't print on his network and why changing the ip address is fixing it for a little?

steps I have taken:

Firmware
Drivers
Port setting (both LPR/RAW)
Swapped OACB (with NIC port embedded on it) from a known good machine
Swapped Compact Flash Cards
Swapped Print Controller...

I haven't done the PRCB but it seems to me that wouldn't be anything to do with it if changing IP address's is the only time we see change?

any help is appreciated....

BIG PAPA
11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
How are the drivers installed? Locallaly or on the seerver? It sounds like someone is sending jobs that are erroring in the print que and just leaving it, causing everything else to pile up behind it. I just ran into the same thing at a Ford dealership, their "IT" guy(a salesman) lol, was just getting mad at me on the phone, then alittle while later called back when "he found" someones que full of junk, deleted and all was fine. This would make sense why switching the address and your laptop seem to work.

copytechman
11-24-2011, 12:38 AM
I've had 2 of these series of machines do this to me sporadically, had to turn off all extraneous protocols, eg appletalk, snmp, and any others you can think of that your not using... This resolved it for me.. must have been something floating around the network (2 different customers) that caused it.. only way to fix it was reboot. Connected my laptop with crossover cable and it would print all day long.. tried using a different switch, setting port settings, a whole bunch of stuff. Very shortly after being on my laptop for quite some time working, plug back into cust network, scan would stop working and prints would just fail... copy would continue to work as normal.. One was a bh361 and another was a 421.

Regards!
A.

Glaander
11-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I got machine like that before and they was using print server, and problem was their firewall, because people was changing firewall rules and forgot to update the new port for those copier.

things need to check

if you get to client pc,

1. unplug the network cable and go to pc and see you able to ping the ip, if ping reply means there is another machine or pc using same ip

2. check the copier online or not at the pc print queue, if is offline that is one sign of firewall problem

3. create TCP/IP Port direct print to the printer and skip the print server, if you able to get the test page, that means the machine is fine. (if you don't have the right driver is fine, just pick anything Konica minolta, because you just want to see anything print)

4. grab a usb cable see you able to direct print to the copier by your laptop. if it print from usb, means their network has problem. ( you are not there to solve their network issue, but the copier right?)

blackcat4866
11-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Glaander has it covered.

Another way to rule out drivers is to use a little utility called LPR jar. With it you can send data captures (aka: print to file) directly to the printers IP address without using the currently installed drivers (or any print drivers!). LPR jar will run from a USB stick, so all you have to do is plug in your USB stick to any PC on the network and send a data capture. No laptop required. From the printers point of view the print data looks exactly the same as if it had come from

If successful it proves that your MFP is on the network, and is capable of printing. Corrupt or unsuitable print drivers are not your problem. Provide them with a driver or the site to download one, and walk. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
11-24-2011, 06:05 AM
I've had 2 of these series of machines do this to me sporadically, had to turn off all extraneous protocols, eg appletalk, snmp, and any others you can think of that your not using... This resolved it for me..
A.

Ditto, had the same issue on a b420 and that was my fix too. For some reason some IT people like to enable absolutely everything even when its not required.

EarthKmTech
11-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Also, ensure *all* drivers are correct.

all it takes is one computer with a local install of the wrong driver for this to happen. Had this happen before too, several times!

detective work may be required.

RRodgers
11-24-2011, 07:26 AM
I would say hook up your laptop to the same port the copier is on and run a ping to google using the -t and see how it looks. Also, use the same cable that the copier is using when doing this. I've seen bad cables and bad ports do all kinds of crazy stuff.

pepper38_cnd
11-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Make sure snmp and Direct SMB hosting are disabled as these are a couple of things on the copier side that can cause NIC issues. But since you say that changing the IP address of the copier seems to solve it for a while then I would say this is a DHCP issue. The IP address of the copier needs to be outside the scope of the DHCP range or isolated / reserved by MAC Address in the DHCP Server list. Show their IT person that the copier works when directly connected to your Laptop and explain to him that he has a network issue.

Custom Search