PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C350 Scan-to-FTP can't make it happen...

Custom Search

panchristo
12-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Hello all! Hope someone can help me sort this out. (I can't find the post I'd added yesterday, hence the new thread)

I have a Konica Minolta Bizhub C350 placed in a LAN with some PCs (Windows XP+ 1 Vista), one iMac and a NAS (Fujitsu Celvin Q700 - Linux based).
I've been trying to setup the C350 to scan-to-ftp, since the NAS has an FTP server embedded.
So far I've done the following:

Enabled FTP Server on port 21, with Anonymous log-on enabled (for testing purposes)
Created an individual shared folder (scandoc) for the purpose
Set the permissions on the folder to enable appropriate access (Full for the begining)
Registered the FTP server through C350 Web interface (PageScope Web Connect)
Created an appropriate shortcut on the BizHub Address panel

When I try to scan to a PC running the Konica Minolta FTP Utility, everything works fine.
But, when I try to scan-to-FTP, although the FTP server is reached (no connection error reported), an error comes up saying "error cleared - folder was not found".
When I look at the syslog of the server, connection attempts are successful (Login OK, Logout OK) but no write actions on any folder.
I have tried several things such as writing the folder name with preceding slashes ( \ or / ) or period (.) in case it was a problem regarding path declaration in linux, but with no success.

Does anyone have an idea?

pepper38_cnd
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Try just putting a / and no folder name. If you are scanning to the root the folder name is not required. Also when using FTP there is no need to share the folder.

panchristo
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
The NAS is a Small-Office_Business level device, administered through web interface. Not being able to access it via Linux, my only choice is to define a network share (i.e. scandoc) with appropriate permissions.

Thus, setting the path name to "/" (even if it worked correctly) I wouldn't be able to access the files from PCs in the LAN running Windows.

Unfortunately, the FTP server module of the NAS 13416 (see attached server guide for FTP setting) doesn't have the ability to set the root folder explicitly.

I'm very suspicious that the whole problem may arise in an incompatibility of path resolving between Bizhub C350 and the FTP Server embedded in the NAS running on Linux. Would that ring any bells?

pepper38_cnd
12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Based on the guide and their example the folder mp3music is the root folder, therefore just puting in / in the path would scan to that folder if you had a folder inside that folder say easylistening then you would put /easylistening and so on. I understand the share is just so you can access it from another PC that is ok.

panchristo
12-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Not quite right, because as you can see from the last page of the pdf, hitting the ftp server address from a web interface it shows all of the shares created not only mp3music.

Unfortunately however, it still doesn't work.

Last minute update: Managed to make it work!!!

but after first 3 single page test runs, I inserted a stack of 4 pages only to receive a malfunction code c-1279.:(

Is there a service manual available?

DallasTech
12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
C1279
PCI-SDRAM DMA operation failure • The hardware involved with image transfer in the
memory of the MFP Control Board (PWB-MFP) does not respond.

That is from the manual. Seems like it would indicate bad RAM, but the service manual says it's a bad MFP-PWB.

panchristo
12-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I just found the service manual myself too (currently downloading). You could save me a lot of hassle if you could direct me as to what measures should i take.

DallasTech
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much time about it. You are working with a very dated machine, with marginal color output. I've worked with these machines a lot and I think we only had one of these in the field anymore.

If you are dead set on fixing it, I would just try some good RAM in the machine. Compatible computer RAM is sufficient, but you might end up replacing the main board, which in my mind wouldn't be worth it.

panchristo
12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much time about it. You are working with a very dated machine, with marginal color output. I've worked with these machines a lot and I think we only had one of these in the field anymore.

If you are dead set on fixing it, I would just try some good RAM in the machine. Compatible computer RAM is sufficient, but you might end up replacing the main board, which in my mind wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks a lot for your kind responses. I am actually thinking of going towards a RAM upgrade for the RAM. What doyou mean by "you might end up replacing the main board". Can't I use regular computer RAM?

DallasTech
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
The service manual says to replace the PWB-MFP, which would not be worth it for such and old machine. If memory doesn't fix it, I would trash it and start with something a little newer.

panchristo
12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
The service manual says to replace the PWB-MFP, which would not be worth it for such and old machine. If memory doesn't fix it, I would trash it and start with something a little newer.

Can you please tell me if it is possible to upgrade the machine's RAM (without replacing completely the board) using regular modules and what their specs should be?

panchristo
02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Well, back with an update and a few more questions.

In general my main problem is solved (getting scan-to-ftp/scan-to-pc to work) but something new has come up.

When I send multiple pages, the machine can't send all of them and reports: "Job has not been done properly" and Job Send Log reports server connect failure.

I've tried some "methods" when having to scan many pages, but the problem seems to repeat itself at approximately after 20 pages being sent in total.

Methods:
One batch, 50 pages
Batches of 10 pages (waiting in between for batch to be transmitted), fail at 2nd batch
Batches of 5 pages (waiting in between for batch to be transmitted), fail at 3rd-4th batch.
And now, time for QUESTIONS:
I am thinking that maybe something is wrong with the machine's RAM or that it is just not large enough (would a hard disk help?) to complete dificult (i.e. large) tasks (Method 1).

But on the other methods, taking for granted that the first batches are succesfully sent over, why does the next fail?
What are the exact specifications for RAM modules? Is it possible to use ordinary computer RAM? If Yes, up to what size?
Could a hard disk help solve the problem? If yes, is it possible to use an ordinary hard disk or an authentic Konica Minolta drive is needed?

jeffreyclay
02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
What do you mean "outdated"? !! Here in Royal Province of Ebonia we print our national currency, the "mudskat" on most glorious Konica Minolta C350 !!
Impossible to counterfeit...

groovy
02-03-2012, 06:18 PM
@panchristo: an hdd would help for getting larger scanning jobs. A customer of mine has a Konica Minolta Biz C350, connected to a NAS where he can complete very large scan jobs with the help of the internal hard drive.
@jeffreyclay: can U send me the file of your money? Just to do few print test, so if everything works fine i will plan a vacation to Royal Province of Ebonia :-)

panchristo
02-06-2012, 07:03 AM
@panchristo: an hdd would help for getting larger scanning jobs. A customer of mine has a Konica Minolta Biz C350, connected to a NAS where he can complete very large scan jobs with the help of the internal hard drive.

I would be grateful If you could elaborate on that option as well! What do I need to have etc.

As for my aforementioned questions, does anyone have any answer?

TheOwl
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
RAM: Photocopiers are like computers where by you can just stick the biggest piece of RAM that you can find into them. Photocopiers require a predetermined ammount of RAM, or can only be upgraded in the slightest. If you think that you RAM is corrupt, then replace the RAM with the same size.

HDD: Normally an HDD is required for stitching larger files together before the transmission to the FTP server. Previously you said that everything worked fine when sending something to a PC using KM FTP Util. Is this still the case? If it is, then your machine is probably fine and your NAS might be the bottleneck which is causing the issues. If you are haveing the same issue with the computers, then try connecting a laptop directly to the machine (no switches or hubs in between) and try scanning again.

panchristo
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
RAM: Photocopiers are like computers where by you can just stick the biggest piece of RAM that you can find into them. Photocopiers require a predetermined ammount of RAM, or can only be upgraded in the slightest. If you think that you RAM is corrupt, then replace the RAM with the same size. Where can I find these specs for Minolta Bizhub C350?

HDD: Normally an HDD is required for stitching larger files together before the transmission to the FTP server. Previously you said that everything worked fine when sending something to a PC using KM FTP Util. Is this still the case? If it is, then your machine is probably fine and your NAS might be the bottleneck which is causing the issues. If you are haveing the same issue with the computers, then try connecting a laptop directly to the machine via Ethernet cable straight or crosswired? (no switches or hubs in between) and try scanning again.

Until now, no matter where I transmit the scanned files to (FTP Server / PCs running FTP Utility), after a certain amount of pages (~20-25 either sent together or individually) the photocopier comes to an error and can't send anything unless I restart it. I was therefore wondering whether a HD would solve the problem as an intermediate place of storage for solving bottlenecks at either side of the transmission. Are there any settings I should look after as far as network connections are concerned?
As for the attachment of a HD, are there any parts (e.g. mounting brackets) required apart from the HD (and cables) itself? Currently the photocopier doesn't have a HD.

ni311
02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
According to installation manual, you will need a mounting bracket. A capture from HD-501 installation manual is attached.

TheOwl
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I really don't know where to get the specs of the RAM from as in Australia, the machines came from the factory fully optioned in that department.

As for fly lead or crossover, you don't really need to carry crossover cables any more because modern laptops can change the network port to be straight through or crossover, but you can use either or if you like.

Custom Search