PDA

View Full Version : Need Konica c500 drum replacement instructions

Custom Search

henry finley
12-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Can anybody supply me with a PDF or a link or something to view the leaflet that comes with a Konica C500 drum? I have forgotten how to install the blue drum in its holder bracket assembly. For some reason, I had streaks in my magenta, and upon examination I discovered this 1/2 inch wide black ribbon with a metallic-woven backing all wrapped around the blue drum, caught between the drum and the blade. I have no idea what this velvet-surfaced cloth ribbon is, but I can't get it out without taking the drum out of it's bracket assembly, and I forgot how this is done. I need the instructions that come with a new drum, and cannot find any on the internet. Thank you. l

mervyn
12-21-2011, 11:23 PM
The drum on the C500 comes complete. Just remove the blade locking screws and fit .

henry finley
12-21-2011, 11:31 PM
The drum on the C500 comes complete. Just remove the blade locking screws and fit .

Thank you, but I don't think so. The drum can be bought as the blue drum only with blade, and installed in the bracket. And I forgot how to do this. I'll have to disassemble the whole thing completely to re-discover the procedure. And I don't want to go through all that.

mervyn
12-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Ive fitted a bunch of these , they come as a complete assembly. I have never ordered just a drum , neither have my company.

henry finley
12-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Ive fitted a bunch of these , they come as a complete assembly. I have never ordered just a drum , neither have my company.
EBAY is jam full of drum and blade-only ads. You can buy them all day long.

mervyn
12-21-2011, 11:48 PM
If you want to use ebay go ahead , im just telling you what we use and they are complete.

henry finley
12-21-2011, 11:51 PM
If you want to use ebay go ahead , im just telling you what we use and they are complete.
Nevermind, friend--we're not communicating. I'll wait on another reader to come along who read the question.

Itsthepaper
12-22-2011, 03:13 AM
It's not common to rebuild these drum units, that's probably why not many guys are responding to your post. I appreciate trying to save on parts cost, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, try katun they have drums much less than Konica Minolta and provide a warranty. When I go to the shop tomorrow I'll take one of my spare drums apart and I'll follow up with the steps I took. I'll also look for the ribbon, I'm curious to see if it is in the drum unit.

henry finley
12-22-2011, 03:37 AM
It's not common to rebuild these drum units, that's probably why not many guys are responding to your post. I appreciate trying to save on parts cost, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, try katun they have drums much less than Konica Minolta and provide a warranty. When I go to the shop tomorrow I'll take one of my spare drums apart and I'll follow up with the steps I took. I'll also look for the ribbon, I'm curious to see if it is in the drum unit.
Thanks, HTF

Coptech
12-22-2011, 04:48 PM
The manufacturer designed the drum unit to be replaced as an assembly. In training, they mentioned that the aftermarket would surely come up with a drum and blade only as a retrofit but you get what you pay for. All 4 drum units are designed to be replaced at the 100K PM cycle. They will go beyond that mark but not by much more than 10-20K. If you want it to stay in best working order, follow the PM schedule and quit trying to save pennies that will cost you dollars in the long run...just my opinion. give it whatever value you would like.

henry finley
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
The manufacturer designed the drum unit to be replaced as an assembly. In training, they mentioned that the aftermarket would surely come up with a drum and blade only as a retrofit but you get what you pay for. All 4 drum units are designed to be replaced at the 100K PM cycle. They will go beyond that mark but not by much more than 10-20K. If you want it to stay in best working order, follow the PM schedule and quit trying to save pennies that will cost you dollars in the long run...just my opinion. give it whatever value you would like.
OK guys--this is NOT ABOUT the perils of aftermarket materials. We're talking about ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT STUFF that has a strange cloth strap tangled around the metal drum. And I want to take the drum out of its bracket so I can untangle this wierd strap that has gotten snarled around it. As far as I know, this came with the copier with all original drums. I DO NOT need a lecture on aftermarket stuff.I'm 55 years old and have been working on things for 40 years. I know ALL ABOUT aftermarket stuff. Can you help, or not? Read the question please. Thank you.

henry finley
12-22-2011, 05:21 PM
OK guys--this is NOT ABOUT the perils of aftermarket materials. We're talking about ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT STUFF that has a strange cloth strap tangled around the metal drum. And I want to take the drum out of its bracket so I can untangle this wierd strap that has gotten snarled around it. As far as I know, this came with the copier with all original drums. I DO NOT need a lecture on aftermarket stuff.I'm 55 years old and have been working on things for 40 years. I know ALL ABOUT aftermarket stuff. Can you help, or not? Read the question please. Thank you.
Now that everyone has harped on the subject I did not even ask about---if I replaced everything Konica wanted replacing with all the things they demand that you use, I would NEVER make a penny off this machine, particularly 40 miles out in the country. I could never afford to get a technician in the door, and since the parts are sold to end-users at 1000 times the dealer's cost, I would end up feeding all my resources into a over-technified boat anchor, and spendimg more on the machine that I could ever hope to make. These stupid machines were a BAD IDEA. If COULD have been a good idea if Konica dealers did not RAPE end-users on OEM stuff. PM maintenance every 100,000 copies is RIDICULOUS. One hundred thousand copies is not eve a good 40 hour work week on a printing press.
For end users 40 miles in the middle of nowhere, after-market stuff is our only hope. Even then, these machines are a bottomless pit to throw money into.
Now... can someone please answer the question? Thank you.

Coptech
12-22-2011, 06:12 PM
The markup is not as great as what you think but lets start over. I have never taken apart a drum unit but I suspect it is a simple "pull the bearings and slide it out" operation. Should be no big step with your experience.

I worked on 1 machine of that frame. An 8050. It was delivered shortly before, and I was in training during the super bowl with Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction". That is my only reference of time on that machine. It is semi-retired now and has clocked close to 10M prints. You are correct in the statement that 100K PM cycle is ridiculous but the engineers did not ask me. I just followed the PM cycle as best as I could and followed up with other failures as they came up. Konica "whored out" this product to everyone including Pitney Bowes as a "digital press". Truth is, they tell me that the C500 was a step backwards from the 8050 and the machine's day has come and gone. I wish you luck in making your fortune with the one that you have. Technology has made huge strides forward since your machine rolled down the assembly line.

Again, I do not know what is wrapped around your drum and have not taken apart a drum unit short of installing new gears on an out of the box drum unit that came in damaged. But I am confident that you will get the drum out and clear the "obstruction". It was my understanding, and I took it on faith that there was a lube bar in the drum unit that would not be addressed by the aftermarket and that a simple drum and blade change would be "whizzing in the wind".

Good Luck,
G.H.

henry finley
12-22-2011, 06:27 PM
The markup is not as great as what you think but lets start over. I have never taken apart a drum unit but I suspect it is a simple "pull the bearings and slide it out" operation. Should be no big step with your experience.

I worked on 1 machine of that frame. An 8050. It was delivered shortly before, and I was in training during the super bowl with Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction". That is my only reference of time on that machine. It is semi-retired now and has clocked close to 10M prints. You are correct in the statement that 100K PM cycle is ridiculous but the engineers did not ask me. I just followed the PM cycle as best as I could and followed up with other failures as they came up. Konica "whored out" this product to everyone including Pitney Bowes as a "digital press". Truth is, they tell me that the C500 was a step backwards from the 8050 and the machine's day has come and gone. I wish you luck in making your fortune with the one that you have. Technology has made huge strides forward since your machine rolled down the assembly line.

Again, I do not know what is wrapped around your drum and have not taken apart a drum unit short of installing new gears on an out of the box drum unit that came in damaged. But I am confident that you will get the drum out and clear the "obstruction". It was my understanding, and I took it on faith that there was a lube bar in the drum unit that would not be addressed by the aftermarket and that a simple drum and blade change would be "whizzing in the wind".

Good Luck,
G.H.

Thank you, friend. Looks like I've got an over-disassembly job on my hands, to discover correct disassembly. I'll tell you what--the printing business was much better in 1978 when I first got in it. Now, I'm 55 and am looking at at least 10 more years of this misery. Between the computer and the Democrat Party, the printing biz can only become more miserable. Thanks again--HTF

Itsthepaper
12-22-2011, 09:21 PM
If you can't take apart a C500 drum then your not much a technician, sorry to tell you the truth. The C500 is the worst machine for a print shop enviroment and the cost to keep that thing running is out of control PM kit at a 100k then another at 200k, yea no wonder your not making any money.

Don't blame democracts and computers on your failure as a business owner, try to tone down the attitude if your going to ask for help on this board.

Get rid of the C500 and get something else to run your 4 color work. Just a tip from a democract, Mr know it all that can't take apart a drum unit.

henry finley
12-22-2011, 09:33 PM
If you can't take apart a C500 drum then your not much a technician, sorry to tell you the truth. The C500 is the worst machine for a print shop enviroment and the cost to keep that thing running is out of control PM kit at a 100k then another at 200k, yea no wonder your not making any money.

Don't blame democracts and computers on your failure as a business owner, try to tone down the attitude if your going to ask for help on this board.

Get rid of the C500 and get something else to run your 4 color work. Just a tip from a democract, Mr know it all that can't take apart a drum unit.
Thanks, friend. I believe I was able to decipher what you had written, after inserting all the missing periods in your sentence. I am quite confident none of the other readers or responders felt any "attitude" directed towards them; but rather towards third parties only--mainly the printing business in general, which I hate. But then, those fellows weren't Libs; and can be communicated with. Merry Christmas. ooops, I forgot my political correctness: Happy Holidays, Lib.

Itsthepaper
12-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyways, I took apart a C500 drum and found velvet furry pads at the ends of the drum frame, they are cleaners.

-Remove pressure springs for the blade then one screw for each side remove blade holder which are white.
- black spring holders on each side remove them
- remove the long white gear on one side to remove bearing, there's a phillip type screw in the gear that you could unscrew.
- bearings are held in by screws remove them, I just had to remove one side then slid the drum to one side and it came out.
- Remove drum then you'll see the velvet pads, try to reglue it and hopefully it stays

Goodluck, hope this helps, Merry Christmas.

Custom Search