PDA

View Full Version : SMTP Password

Custom Search

mojorolla
12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I have a Bizhub c451 that will not retain the SMTP password only. Email addy, user name and all other parameters are retained. My IT guy thinks it is a memory chip but I do not see how the memory would decide to dump only the password and keep everything else. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

:)

emujo
12-23-2011, 07:24 PM
This info is stored in RAM (NVRAM, not memory chips). You may have a bad sector, or a weak NVRAM battery. How often does it occur? Maybe you can setup the smtp server to relay from the copier's IP. Might solve (read "mask") the issue. Firmware update is always a good 1st troubleshooting step.. Emujo

blackcat4866
12-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Just because you don't see a recognizable password does not mean that one has not been stored correctly. Typically passwords are displayed as a group of asterisks or blanks, and cannot be seen, displayed or copied for security reasons.

You need to confirm exactly what the IT guy is experiencing. It is very unlikely that it is a memory issue. More likely it is a perception issue that needs correcting. =^..^=

emujo
12-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Black cat is correct...the newer MFsP have a check box next to the password "Password is changed" and the info in the box will be blank...I'm not looking at one this moment, but I don't think the C650 series is like this. But if it is, the next question is...The MFP is sending email OK up to a certain point...what is the failure message when it stops sending.."server connect" or "login error". Emujo

mojorolla
12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
That is what is so odd. It will work fine for a few days, emails send, all is right with the world. After a few days, a login fail message will appear. I simply re-enter the same SMTP password and it works again for a few days. Basically, the machine remembers the password for a few days, then forgets it. I think it has something to do with their server but of course it cannot be a problem on their end. Their IT guy assures us that the password is set to never expire. We changed to a different user and password with the same result, loses just the password after few days. I wanted to try a gmail account to eliminate their server, but the IT guy is a real SOB. I am going in with Wireshark tomorrow to do some in depth troubleshooting. I will post what I find. I had to laugh when the IT guy agreed to the Wireshark but was worried about using gmail for security reasons....oh those crazy IT guys!!!!

:)

blackcat4866
12-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I suppose it's possible that you're getting bad sectors on the HDD.

I've seen this occasionally on Kyocera addressbook entries. If the addressbook entries have not changed in a couple years, sometimes the data just isn't recognized anymore. It looks right on the web interface, but will not get to the destination. The answer is just to re-type the exact same data and save again (theoretically to a different sector of the HDD).

Just a thought. =^..^=

jeffreyclay
12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Have your IT guy run a session of Wireshark when its refusing to complete a mail transmission and examine the file. That will eliminate all doubt.:)

Custom Search