PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub c450 - yellow stripe on edge of sheet

Custom Search

va2ir
12-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Hello. Running a Bizhub C450. Just replaced the yellow toner. Getting a warning about the imaging units for C, M and Y needing replacing. Its still under warranty.

Will the imaging unit cause color striping on the edge of the sheet? I am running 12 x 18 thick 1, double side prints, and I am getting a light yellow toner stripe down the non-operator side of ther sheet on the 18" side.

Any help would be appreciated.

My tech is on his way.

Ian R.

JSC
12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Replace the Yellow unit & the line will go away, while your at it replace the C & M before they go "tits up" as it sounds like they have done their life also. :D

va2ir
12-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, well I bought this unit with a 3 month 10,000 copy warranty. I havent even had it 3 weeks yet and no where near 10,000 copies, so its up to him to change it.

Its funny that the warning message came on exactly at the same time the line appeared. Luckyily on this job it is getting cut off, but still. According to the counter, there have been 80,000 color copies on this unit, and he claims the drum units have been replaced once, so that should still have some life on them. Some thing is not kosher.

I will see this guy tomorrow and grill him.

Thanks

JSC
12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
The life of the image units are not determined by the amount of copies, but on distance which is basically rotation time, so every time you power the machine on/off the image units will be being used as the same as when you are printing, coping this also goes for stabilizing, etc. etc.

You will find the units will last longer the longer your print runs are.

va2ir
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Well he was supposed to replace those units. Obviously he hasnt. There is a warranty on the machine. UNless he wants to hear from my lawyer

kingarthur
12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
dont you just hate it when people start "threatening" other people with their lawyer....you might just find that your consumables aren't covered by warranty....i suggest you check your warranty & contract...if you have one, before you start giving the tech a hard time...

JSC
12-29-2011, 11:28 AM
dont you just hate it when people start "threatening" other people with their lawyer....you might just find that your consumables aren't covered by warranty....i suggest you check your warranty & contract...if you have one, before you start giving the tech a hard time...

Yea, if he was trying to "rip him off" he would have chips the units.

EarthKmTech
12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Ahhh, that old gem. Sell a second hand machine with $3000 worth of consumables about 15 minutes away from requiring replacement.

This procedure isn't uncommon and it's really upto the buyer to ensure all consumables are where they expect them to be, life wise when purchasing. You'll find the purchase contracts will state that the consumables are sold as is and the warranty, if any, applies to the machine, not the consumables...

va2ir
12-29-2011, 03:08 PM
To answer your comments, here in my region, the consumer protection act protects consumers, both personal and business from fraudulent transactions. The spirit of the law expects a normal usage of a product. So if you bought a new car, and it only lasted a week, and the dealer refused to fix it, the court would order him to fix it or refund the money. My contract of purchase plainly states the machine is "sold as new", both owners assured me new imagining units were installed, the machine was clean clean inside, and had no issues until I had about 4000 sheets through it. My contract of sale specifies a 3 month 15000 sheet warranty. And he supplied me extra toners. No mention was ever made in writing or otherwise that the imaging units will fail after a couple thousand sheets. If that was the case I would never have touched the machine. And I did do my research - I called several owners of these machines who reported little to no issues. If I have to replace the yellow IM unit I will, its a good machine, but I liken this to buying a car from an authorized dealer, with a warranty, and you drive it for a couple of weeks and all the warning lights come on. Anwyay, they tech came by, he will be back with replacement parts, he realized that the IM units were not changed, although the degraded screen outputs were fine, so he seems to be an honest fellow. being in this industry for over 25 years, I have run into alot of snake-oil salesmen who offer little to no service or support. I have learned to do things on my own. Especially under a time crunch. As far as the lawyer goes, as the comment above, I wanted to get a clear interpretation of the consumers act. Believe me, I don't like lawyers much either.
Mean time, the machine is humming along nicely, I still have the yellow stripe on the edge, it will get trimmed off, so no big deal, eventually I will change the IM unit and get it back to perfect. It was putting out a perfectly clean job.
Have a super duper day.

EarthKmTech
12-30-2011, 05:17 AM
If I were promised new iu's as part of the sales deal I would ensure they arrive in sealed boxes and that the lot number sticker matches the lot number stored on the iu's eeprom. You can list the detected lot numbers via service mode. "rechipped" iu's will not have matching lot numbers to the stickers ;)

But then I can tell if it's new or not just by looking at it, just like every other tech. And further more I wouldn't of bought a c450 to print colour anyway, unless only very occasionally and the majority of the printing is black and white / or it's low volume printing.

Custom Search