PDA

View Full Version : I'm drawing a blank ... SMB port selection

Custom Search

blackcat4866
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
... where can I find SMB port selection on a Konica Minolta C280?

My customer recently changed to a Server 2008 and port 139 seems to be blocked. I'm trying to avoid an on-site visit. Per IT, it is not visible in the addressbook entry, SMB Settings page, or anywhere else within Network Settings. It sure would be nice if a simple change to port 445 solved this problem. Owl, are you listening? =^..^=

Mr Spock
01-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Check the following out if you have access to KM website.

TAUS0902479EN01

TAUS1002204EN00

blackcat4866
01-05-2012, 01:28 AM
I have access, but I haven't found those two. Where would I look? Not in Technical Bulletins ...

Found it! In the knowledge base. And nothing about changing ports. I guess we're stuck with port 139. =^..^=

JR2ALTA
01-05-2012, 02:06 AM
I knowledgebased "smb port" and two tutorials for scanning to server 08 came up, one a video and one a pdf.

nothing on the copier side, but I dont think it's hit or miss like kyocera was with '08 and port 445. I've set up a few without any special steps..

what kind of errors are you getting?

blackcat4866
01-05-2012, 02:19 AM
... what kind of errors are you getting?

The customer just says that it fails. I have to bill if I go out there.

Their IT should have done a proper installation of the new server, and obviously missed either opening port 139 or disabling SMB packet signing. I was hoping to specify port 445 in the addressbook entry like on Kyocera, but I'm not finding that option.

That's what got our new server scanning to SMB: just changing to port 445. =^..^=

TheOwl
01-08-2012, 09:40 AM
First time back on here since before Christmas, but yeah, I listened. lol

As far as I am aware, you can't change the SMB port on the Konica Minoltas but I could be wrong about that as I have asked Konica Minolta about some SMB specifics before and I couldn't get a straight answer out of them. More to the point, I have never heard of anyone changing the standard SMB port either.

Your C280 is 100% capable of digitally signing SMB packets, so you won't need to play with that group policy and off the top of my head (I am still in holiday mode, so my brain is still fuzzy and some what work free) Server 2008 should open the ports within the firewall as soon as you either enable the File Server / Application Server role or straight out of the box.

Now I have seen something similar with a C450 and a server that I put together and that was that I didn't enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the server. To enable this, follow these steps:

1. Open Network and Sharing Center
2. Change Adapter Settings
3. Go to the properties of the adapter that is being used for the intranet
4. Click on TCP/IPv4 and go to the properties
5. Click on Advanced
6. Click on WINS
7. Select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

I don't think that you have to restart the server after doing this, but it might be adviseable to restart it afterwards anyway. For some reason, I just found that the C450 wouldn't respond and kept coming back with errors saying that it could find the destination, even though that I could map drives to it and find the path using an Android Tablet.

Get the IT people to check the following rule on the server (Rule name is as it should appear within Server 2008):

File and Printer Sharing (NB-Session-In)

This is the rule that allows port 139. This is for file sharing over TCP/IP while using NetBIOS which the Konica Minoltas use.

With a Windows Server 2008 domain, you can now have SMB directly hosted over TCP/IP which doesn't require NetBIOS. Read this Microsoft KB Article if you like to try and get a slightly better understanding. Basically, SMB which is directly hosted without NetBIOS runs on port 445 which is what you said you have changed some Kyoceras to.

Direct hosting of SMB over TCP/IP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/204279)

Hope this massive banter helps.

blackcat4866
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I understood almost 2/3 of that. Thanks!

So switching to port 445 removes the need for NetBios.
On the earlier Kyoceras (Falcon II, Voyager, VoyagerE, Harrier) you can specify a port by composing the IP address like this: 192.169.0.100:445
but the Konica Milnoltas will not accept this as a valid IP address.

I'll get with the customers IT. Thanks again. =^..^=

TheOwl
01-08-2012, 09:24 PM
No worries.

Yeah you are right with the port 445 and NetBios.

Which bit would you like clarifying?

blackcat4866
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
... Server 2008 should open the ports within the firewall as soon as you either enable the File Server / Application Server role or straight out of the box...

Where do I find this?

Get the IT people to check the following rule on the server (Rule name is as it should appear within Server 2008):

File and Printer Sharing (NB-Session-In)

This is the rule that allows port 139. This is for file sharing over TCP/IP while using NetBIOS which the Konica Minoltas use.

This seems like where I need to focus my efforts. The NetBios also needs to be enabled as above?

Thanks for taking the time to explain. =^..^=

TheOwl
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Whenever you install Windows Server, you can then assign roles to that server such as it being a Domain Controller or a DHCP Server or maybe a File Server. When you enable a particular role, Windows then installs other stuff and enables services to make that role function. The most well known role is that of a Domain Controller. When you first setup Windows for this role, it has to install Active Directory, DNS, build a Global Catalouge, change the local users and groups and alot of other stuff.

Just like being a File Server is also considered to be a role which installs things like the Distributed File System. Next time you get to sit down with a Windows Server 2008 box, open the Server Manager from within the Administrative Tools and you will see the roles there.

There are also some other cool roles which you can invoke on a server such Hyper-V for virtualisation of other servers, Remote Desktop Services which is like the old Terminal Services.

If you ever get a chance, install something like VMware Server so that you can have a virtual machine of Windows Server 2008 and play around with it. Apart from some production and project servers that I have, I run a virtual machine of 2008 on my laptop so that if I run into problems out in the field like DHCP not working, or email issues, I can turn on the virtual server and test the scenario with out damaging my clients production environment. The other good thing about this is that once you have it all setup and running, you only need to backup 3 files so that if you break the virtual machine, you just replace the 3 files and turn it back on again and everything is as it started.

emujo
01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
One other comment to add...with Server 2008, several times, I've had to change the NTLM settings from NTLM ver1 to ver 2. If everything looks likes it's configured porperly (folder path, hostname in CAPS, folder permissions set correctly) and you are still getting a "Login Failure" then try this. Setting are found in ADMIN/NETWORK/SMB. Emujo

Avskrap
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Like emujo says, the NTLM settings have solved some problems with -08 and Win7.
Solved a similar problem on a C253 and SMB -> Win7 by changing them.

Custom Search