PDA

View Full Version : HDD Failure on C253 CD00F

Custom Search

habik
01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Can I use any 2.5" HDD available on market? or it HAS to be KM? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks !

I think it should not matter or is there something special about them?

Dickie
01-19-2012, 06:25 PM
My only experience of HDD failure was on an old C20 machine.
On this you had to use a KM original drive as it has some pre loaded boot software, without which the machine is unable to recognize it.
Guess what, they are an extortionate price compared to what you can buy a normal HDD for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. U.K £220.00 when i last bought one.
I believe it is only a 40Gb drive which is also partitioned down to 20Gb useable.

Sorry:(

emujo
01-19-2012, 08:57 PM
You can purchase a drive from any retailer and use it...my only advice would be to not try a drive that has been used in another vendor, or formatted with Linux. Emujo

EarthKmTech
01-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I have experience with this one, in my past work place we used non genuine drives purchased from a computer store, and in most machines that was never a problem.

however, on the c353 that we had a hard drive failure on, the error code would come back once every 48 hours with the new non genuine drive after setting it all up perfectly. Tried yet another new drive, all set up and working perfectly, the same thing happened. This machine did a hell of a lot of faxing which may be related.

we ended up caving in and purchasing the way more expensive, km issued spare part drive and the problem went away forever. I beleive the issue was that the machine uses a hard drive thats basically no longer available in such a small capacity, the ones we were trying were slightly larger at the time.. Now you'd have no chance in hell of finding a new hard drive of the same size at a computer store..

emujo
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
I have experience with this one, in my past work place we used non genuine drives purchased from a computer store, and in most machines that was never a problem.

however, on the c353 that we had a hard drive failure on, the error code would come back once every 48 hours with the new non genuine drive after setting it all up perfectly. Tried yet another new drive, all set up and working perfectly, the same thing happened. This machine did a hell of a lot of faxing which may be related.

we ended up caving in and purchasing the way more expensive, km issued spare part drive and the problem went away forever. I beleive the issue was that the machine uses a hard drive thats basically no longer available in such a small capacity, the ones we were trying were slightly larger at the time.. Now you'd have no chance in hell of finding a new hard drive of the same size at a computer store..

You may be correct on the drive size issue, but there is nothing loaded on the drive purchased from KM. Emujo

EarthKmTech
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
we put it down to the size, as all hard drives needed to be formatted to work anyway. :)

habik
01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
My only experience of HDD failure was on an old C20 machine.
On this you had to use a KM original drive as it has some pre loaded boot software, without which the machine is unable to recognize it.
Guess what, they are an extortionate price compared to what you can buy a normal HDD for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. U.K £220.00 when i last bought one.
I believe it is only a 40Gb drive which is also partitioned down to 20Gb useable.

Sorry:(

Ouch,,guess what my price from my vendor is £463+vat..

Can you PM me your stockist?

I'll just bang in a standard cheap any available 2.5" drive that could possibly work. Thanks a lot.I wonder if on the original KM drive is Service ROM flashed with KM Boot. As that is more likely.

Thanks again!

habik
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
You can purchase a drive from any retailer and use it...my only advice would be to not try a drive that has been used in another vendor, or formatted with Linux. Emujo

Thank you, Emujo. I'll give it a bash. Will keep this thread posted what happened.

I'll try to resource the Hitachi drive :) Xfingers

habik
01-19-2012, 10:23 PM
maybe lucky there are some on EBAY, however I think I got 60GB in +253

Hitachi Travelstar 40GB 2.5" IDE Laptop Hard Drive | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-Travelstar-40GB-2-5-IDE-Laptop-Hard-Drive-/120844951106?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item1c22eb9e42#ht_606wt_932)

Custom Search