PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub c451 firmware update software / procedure

Custom Search

mojorolla
01-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Let me say straight off, I am not begging for firmware...:p. I have been tasked with updating firmware on a c451. I cannot find the software for writing the compact flash card on the mykonicaminolta site. I have done update before on the older bizhubs and it was files on a card with a FAT format. From what I can gather, the c451 has a tool called "Firmware Imaging Toolkit 2006" used to write the firmware to the card. So I guess I have 2 questions:
1. Do I need the writing software for a c451 upgrade?
2. If so, where the hell do I find it on the mykonicaminolta site?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Eresources
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Search for it within the CSES "Search Information" with the wording "Firmware Imaging Toolkit". It's third on the list on my screen.

emujo
01-21-2012, 07:50 PM
If you're still having trouble finding the software, PM me with your tech ID. If you're legit, I'll send you via email, or send the link. Emujo

mojorolla
02-01-2012, 02:57 AM
First off, thanx for the responses.

I have tried 4gb, 256mb cf card and a 128mb cf card. I have tried using the firmware tool and the command prompt to write the files to the card. Each time, I get an invalid card error at power up. The first call to the hotline, I was told I need a 256mb card. I got one and tried that, same error. Called the hotline a second time and was told to use a 128mb card. When I pointed out that it clearly says this model needs a 256mb, I was told "don't listen to what is in the manual". So I went out and got a 128mb card. Try finding one this size locally. So I went back today with my 128mb card and guess what happened, same error. The third call was almost 2 hours long until I finally got through to a senior tech. He said the card needs to be formatted in vxWorks. I mentioned this feature was grayed out in the toolkit and he said so was his and didn't have an answer for me. He basically said I am screwed until their cards come off of back order; which has no ETA by the way.

That being said, I have more faith in this forum, as always, than what I am hearing from tech support. So I have 2 questions:
1. Being a first time caller, is it normal to get half a dozen different answers from KM tech support regarding the same problem?
2. What are the specification of the compact flash cards. Manual says FAT format, tech support says FAT32 or vxWorks.

:)

Eresources
02-01-2012, 03:26 AM
I usually put the CF memory card in the PC, run the firmware imaging toolkit, format the card in FAT using the firmware imaging toolkit, load the firmware using the firmware imaging toolkit, plug it into the copier and boot from it.

I use 256MB Sandisk cards as any larger than that won't work with the firmware imaging toolkit.

Other than that you might have a faulty mainboard.

In answer to your first question, Yes sometimes. Due to the different experiences those techs have had.

emujo
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
once a CF card is formatted "FAT" it typicaly can't be used in a color MFP. The only way around this is to find a hex editor tool and write "0"s to the card. This makes the card "out of the package". When you use the firmware tool kit, part of the process is to install the VXWorks format. One way to determine if the tool has worked correctly is to try to look at it with your laptop after you write the firmware. If it's correct you should get a message "the card must be formatted to continue" or something to that affect. If you can read the card with your laptop after you write to it the previous FAT structure is still on the card. BTW, I've asked a few time why the "VXWorks" format selection is greyed out, but no one seems to have an answer. Emujo

Rvale
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi Guys

I´ve been through this situation myself, i got from a friend an already formatted cf card without brand but 256 mb in size, with the nvram clear on it, works as a charm, but my sandisk 256 mb cards dont accept the firmware no matter what, i used the firmware toolkit v 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 but the vxworks frmat is always grayed out, some research told me that this file system is used on the bizhub line not just as file system but the whole OS.
The question is, how to make this thing works, and wich CF Card should whe use, i cant even write a symple firmware on that.
Any ideas?

rrrohan
04-29-2014, 12:57 AM
i hate having to mess around with CF cards

just host a FTP server on your tech laptop and use ISW

907tec
04-29-2014, 01:52 AM
From the manual:

• After the firmware data is written into the compact flash, it becomes the own file
style that is different from the FAT, and the compact flash that the firmware data is
written cannot be browsed on the Windows OS.

Though you can't format in vxworks directly, the process of writing data to the card seems to have a similar effect. It might not be formatted in vxworks, but it is at least written in a manner that allows the copier's OS to access it. As mentioned by others: if you can read the card contents on your computer, you are doing something wrong.

Synaux
04-29-2014, 07:39 AM
I would buy a new card get a san disk shoot and store card (not all cards will work).
Its on amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-128MB-Shoot-Store-Card/dp/B000COZ248)for 39.00, but can probably find it cheaper.

Never format the card if you want to be successful and dont worry about the option being grayed out in the toolkit. You simply tell it to write to the card and it does everything for you and you can compare the checksums to make sure the files were written correctly.

Rvale
04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
By the way, have anyone already tried to use the nvram clear on those machines and after the reboot it started working again, thankfully without passwords but with squares all over the copied image? Like preventing it from been resalable. It seems to have some sort of certificate failure but doesn't give me any sort of error messages like the ones whe got when changing the nvram itself with another equipment.
I inserted the new serial nummber on the tech menu but didnt help.

Zeldaman
04-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi there!
You must do the complete setup (in the right order!!), as if the machine is fresh out of box.
Greetings...

Rvale
04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Sorry to bother you once more, but as i've never installed a brand new c451 could you please point me where can I find the installation procedure, i couldn't find nothing but the unpacking procedure and the SM on the partner portal.
Thanks

rrrohan
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Sorry to bother you once more, but as i've never installed a brand new c451 could you please point me where can I find the installation procedure, i couldn't find nothing but the unpacking procedure and the SM on the partner portal.
Thanks

The installation guide is a separate document.

Those squares are normally lines.

I think the key items are
Touch screen calibration
Gradation adjustment
Date and time

Try that, if no luck I will link the install guide tomorrow when I'm in office

Synaux
04-30-2014, 01:21 AM
Description
There are ¼-inch gray/black squares all over the copies.
Solution
CAUSE: Incorrect or incomplete setup procedure causes a security pattern to be output over the copies.
SOLUTION: Follow the setup procedure completely and in the correct order and do not cycle power between steps.Common installation errors are:
Date and time enter in one location
Touch panel not adjusted
List outputs not printed out upon completion of setup

Do these in this order:
Touch Panel Adjustment in Accessibility settings
Gradation Adjustment in Service Mode
Date/Time setting in Service Mode
Date/Time setting in Administrator Mode
Enter Install Date in Service Mode
Serial Number Input in Service Mode
List Output in Service Mode

I have been able to skip some these with success, but I cant remember which ones, so take a few extra minutes and do them all. :)

Note: If the ioption crap is installed (e.g., lk101-103) and you get a "license error" you will have to get a certified tech to re-validate it.

Rvale
04-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys for all your help. Tested now and after the installation process works perfectly. Used bh420 and 500 nvrams on them and works perfect.
For last, I've made an image of the cf card I got with the nvram clear and tried to put this image on another 256 mb sandisk card. Didn't worked, the card with the ram clear doesnt have any brand or marks on it wich might be recognizable, any ideas of wich card should I use? Dont really wanted to have always to use the only one I got on every machine I have.
Cheers

copier tech
05-01-2014, 09:59 AM
I only use SANDISK 256mb cards, they are so cheap to buy I keep one for each machine in my tool kit saves the hassle of using the imaging tool kit. Some models use the same f/w so can share one card.

Rvale
05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I got 4 Sandisks 256md and another 10 with different sizes buta all SanDisk. None of them work with the 451's. And I have lots of them to update.

Synaux
05-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Not all SanDisk[s] are created equal. For instance these cards simply do not work:

The shoot and stores work very well though and I have about 15 of them (I use the 128mb versions though):

copier tech
05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Strange as in your top picture that is the ONLY type I use & they work fine!

ck1
05-05-2014, 11:39 AM
But my one just buy from ebay also can't work ...:confused:

ck1
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Not all SanDisk[s] are created equal. For instance these cards simply do not work:

The shoot and stores work very well though and I have about 15 of them (I use the 128mb versions though):

Can help me to get it. they not shipping to other country :(

Synaux
05-05-2014, 07:32 PM

Really? I could not get them to work and I know others who couldn't either.

Synaux
05-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Can help me to get it. they not shipping to other country :(

Where in the world are you? I am sure you can find somewhere that will ship to you...

Rvale
05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Finally some development, tired of wasting my time, money and patience, I took the only cf card I had that worked on those models appart to see what was hidden underneath the case. The memory chip is an hinyx, nothing special about it, but the controller is a Hyperstone F2, made in Germany, ECC and 16 MB/S. that means industrial controller, and quite good transfer speed. Now just need a fast transfer commercial card with that size to see if it works.

Custom Search