PDA

View Full Version : C6500/C6501 Toner/DRUM issues

Custom Search

methogod
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Just got a 2nd C6501, and this one is fully loaded, got it with just over 1m total, like 700/300K split. Ran great even with just replacing the Corona's. After running (40K clicks, 10K 12x18 duplex), i started seeing some issues, since the machine was in storage since 2010, i was surprised it go that far. So we do the entire PM, DRUMS and DV and DV units... looked good. But after 2000K or so i started seeing a void on the yellow drum. Pulled the process unit, and found hardened toner on the yellow drum, no way enough coverage to cause voids (light area) that I was getting.

So most jobs are short run, but my own flyers and a few clients i do run higher volume... So i figured if i have to clean some hardened toner every 2000 sheets I could live with it, but its seems to be getting worse.

I cant seem to figure it out. its mainly the yellow drum. but was happening much worse before the PM, replacement Drums, DV and DV UNITS.

I am looking now for mods, or updates that correct this. Drums are the latest "C" revision. I woudl just replace the drum but it was happening before we put over $2000 into it.

using standard ACCCENT DIGITAL SMOOTH 60# 12x18.

After cleaning it gets better, but also seems like there are now some scratches on the drum, but no what's causing the marks....

Any help would be great.

C6501, Booklet maker, RU, FS521, and PF unit w PRO 80 3.0....

ineo+6501
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
There is a huge thread regarding the drums on this model going back to when the C5500/C6500 came out.
They develop hardened toner spots on the black and yellow drums.

Change the drums for the new DU-104 type which are meant for the new C6000/C7000.
They fit the C6501 perfectly. You'll likely get more life and will pretty much eradicate the hardened toner issue.
They are also a little chaeper than the DU-102C.

Hope this helps

Herrmann
03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Make sure, that you have a good airflow in the mashine, keep the filter behind the cover at the right side of the mashine clean and remove the first 3 or 4 white sheets. Also make sure, that you have the latest firmware installed.

dljorg
04-04-2012, 10:44 PM
See notes elsewhere in this forum about black spots on drums. KM has a current problem with the DU102 drums that shows up mostly in black and yellow. Don't know if your hardened toner description fits as mostly the marks look like small scratches.

Changing the yellow drum to a DU-104 that is supposed to run on the KM 7000 will fix the problem.

methogod
04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
See notes elsewhere in this forum about black spots on drums. KM has a current problem with the DU102 drums that shows up mostly in black and yellow. Don't know if your hardened toner description fits as mostly the marks look like small scratches.

Changing the yellow drum to a DU-104 that is supposed to run on the KM 7000 will fix the problem.

Did the same thing, only one of my 2 C6501 has this issue, the one with the Paper Feed unit. The one with the LCT is fine. So its something to do with air flow.

Just as easy to clean the drums with a little WD40 before every long run if the toner makes marks that show up, just wipe off the wd-40 with alcohol. You dont need a service call every time they show up.

dljorg
04-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Experience with a large number of machines says the critical issue is the coverage percentage. Check the machine counters in data collection to see what is happening on your machine. Generally anything above 10% is going to cause some kind of trouble. Some DU-102 drum batches are much worse than others, see the white sticker on the metal crossbar frame of the drum unit. 10-11 and 11-11 batches are particularly prone to spots.

Like it says above the DU-104 is cheaper, lasts longer and will not spot - usually.

Another thing that will help with spotting is turning on a dip switch setting that puts a band of toner on the drum periodically. 13-2 should be zero and 13-3 should be one. Not sure I understand the theory behind the extra toner but it definitely works. We had DU-102's spotting in 2K but with the switch setting that extended to 10 to 12K. Still unacceptable but much better.

DU-104's running at especially high coverages will still spot but when the switch is set they stopped.

KM is still promising a solution that involves a new type drum and some software updates by mid summer 2012. We shall all see.

marlon29
12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Good day everyone,

We have a problem with one of our 6500, the drum always get scratch just like being cut by a cutter blade.
Anyone have encountered this one?

We have already changed the drum, I think 4 times already, but the problem still gets going. We have already replaced the charging coronas, the developing unit, and moved the dev unit away from its original position. The problem appears after about printing 100 sheets of full color.

The problem is only on the magenta drum, the 3 drums does not have sratches.

Any inputs will be of help to us....
Thanks in advance

Marlon29

methogod
12-19-2012, 01:39 AM
swap the DV unit with a differnt color.

swap magenta and cyan drum and dv...

cover the "toner infeed port" with some kind of tape.

run your 100 copies and see if it happens again - it shouldnt.

Then you know its your DV unit.

If it does i would look at your drums - make sure your using DU-104s - My guess is you have been installing older drums in that slot since they keep getting damaged.

also dont use generic drums...

ni311
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Are you sure those are scratches and not thin lines of toner on the drums?

methogod
12-19-2012, 04:51 PM
when i used to get toner on the drums it looked like nicks, but for us it was the black and cyan most of the time. never got up to the M or Y.

twinax
12-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Hello everybody

In which direction do you have the lines?

KM send the Old drum DU102C modified with a high pressure on cleaning blade. It is necessary to have the firmaware rel.70 and patch GN-70 to work with those drums. With this software version you can adjust some dipswitch to avoid Error code C.22xx, and make some break.

About lines, the pressure of blade is high, and the surface of drum stick a little bit, sometimes the cleaning blade jump and give fine lines. Often if the room temperature (and into engine) is high, also if the customer production is high (from 8000 prints a day).

To solve your problem you need to adjust some pauses, (break) with the dipswitch. (if you have rel.70 installed), if not you can not solve your problem which is caused by the drum itself.

Kind regards,

Twinax.

liondor1969
07-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Hallo

I habe same problem a blue line on print,i cleaned the charge unit..I saw a deposit of yellow powder on the belt transfer3368033681

How to clean this drumm ?

Tx

inkhouse
05-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Hello, i have the same problem i have replace 3 drum and from the 1st print u can see a vertical line on the paper...after 200 copy u can see the scratches on drum also .. any1 got any suggestion?tnx

Phil B.
05-23-2019, 04:38 PM
Hello, i have the same problem i have replace 3 drum and from the 1st print u can see a vertical line on the paper...after 200 copy u can see the scratches on drum also .. any1 got any suggestion?tnx

hey gravedigger...

dead thread of 3 years

start a new thread.

Custom Search