PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub 283 - Trouble setting up scanning with SMB protocol

Custom Search

LeighWardle
03-05-2012, 04:21 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I have set up a few other brands/models to use SMB - we are running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Our PageScope web interface is Version 4.1.2.

I am struggling to find where I enter the SMB details via the web interface.

I am happy for all the scanned documents to go to a single folder.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. :D

Regards,
Leigh

TheOwl
03-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Here goes:

1. Web Interface
2. Scan or Store Address or the picture of a letter box
3. New Registration
4. SMB
5. Use Opening Number
6. Name: Scan to File (or something similar)
7. Index the address accordingly
8. Tick the Main box
9. Destination: IP address of host (or name if the host name tick box is ticked)
10. File Path: sharename\childname\childname... (if scanning direct to the share, then just the sharename)
11. OK

blackcat4866
03-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Here goes:

1. Web Interface
2. Scan or Store Address or the picture of a letter box
3. New Registration
4. SMB
5. Use Opening Number
6. Name: Scan to File (or something similar)
7. Index the address accordingly
8. Tick the Main box
9. Destination: IP address of host (or name if the host name tick box is ticked)
10. File Path: sharename\childname\childname... (if scanning direct to the share, then just the sharename)
11. OK

Don't forget the share properties of the folder "sharename":
Under the Share Tab, either select Everyone > Full Control; or create a user for the scanner, i.e. Scan then give Scan > Full Control.
On WinVista or Win7 PCs there will be a Security Tab, again give Everyone or new user Scan > Full Control.

LeighWardle
03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks, TheOwl and blackcat4866, for your suggestions.

My problem right now is that I am remote from the Bizhub and am relying on another guy to operate the Bizhub "hands on".

He says he cannot find any entries in the Fax/Scan address book.

But according to the web interface there are 2 entries registered:

Email to someone@somewhere.com (this doesn't have any SMTP settings entered)
Scan to folder (SMB)

Do the addressbook entries get validated when they are entered? - no error was reported when I completed the Scan to folder (SMB) configuration.

Do I need to get my man in front of the Bizhub to look harder?

Regards,
Leigh

TheOwl
03-06-2012, 05:42 AM
The entries could be indexed under something like ABC, DEF and so on. Get your onsite person to press Fax/Scan and look through the address book indexes that are displayed.

If a job errors, then the machine will display the error at the time that it occurred. If you want to view past errors (until the machine was last turned off and on again) then use the following:

1. Job List
2. Job Details
3. Send
4. Job History
5. Select errored job
6. Detail

This will display more information than the standard error which the Konica Minoltas display which basically says that there was an error.

LeighWardle
03-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi TheOwl,

If a job errors, then the machine will display the error at the time that it occurred. If you want to view past errors (until the machine was last turned off and on again) then use the following:

1. Job List
2. Job Details
3. Send
4. Job History
5. Select errored job
6. Detail

Sorry, but I have tried every Icon on the web interface and cannot see anything relating to jobs.

Regards,
Leigh

TheOwl
03-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned that those steps are from the machines interface and not the web interface.

From the web interface:

1. Web Interface (As a public or registered user)
2. Job or the Green Box
3. Job History
4. Change from Print to TX
5. Go

You should now see the job history for scanning.

LeighWardle
03-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks, TheOwl, for all your help.

It's all working now!

Regards,
Leigh

TheOwl
03-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Good stuff.

What was the issue in the end?

LeighWardle
03-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Good stuff.

What was the issue in the end?

I think my man at the copier end wasn't pressing the right buttons!

blackcat4866
03-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Ah! The old user/interface problem. I'm glad you got it figured out. =^..^=

odv
10-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Ah! The old user/interface problem. I'm glad you got it figured out. =^..^=

i know i'm a little late but our bizhub wont scan to anything. i basically gave up on scanning to email but on the SMB for scan to folder the printer keeps giving me the login error.

i know the ip of the server, but apparently im either using a wrong username/password combination, or am setting the file path wrong. my username/password has access to every folder in the sharedrive though.

thanks in advance

TheOwl
10-15-2014, 02:50 AM
i know i'm a little late but our bizhub wont scan to anything. i basically gave up on scanning to email but on the SMB for scan to folder the printer keeps giving me the login error.

i know the ip of the server, but apparently im either using a wrong username/password combination, or am setting the file path wrong. my username/password has access to every folder in the sharedrive though.

thanks in advance

If you are getting a login error, that means that the host and file path are correct, you now just need to sort out the user name. The things that I would look at are:

1. Is the account locked out due to too many login attempts?
2. Is the password definitely correct (reset the password again to make sure)?
3. Are the NTFS permissions on the folder set correctly?
4. Does the Administrator credentials work?
5. Is the machines set to NTLM v1/v2 within the SMB Client Settings?

JR2ALTA
10-15-2014, 03:24 AM
Could also be a domain issue. enter the domain on the copier, or at least try domain/user name

odv
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
If you are getting a login error, that means that the host and file path are correct, you now just need to sort out the user name. The things that I would look at are:

1. Is the account locked out due to too many login attempts?
2. Is the password definitely correct (reset the password again to make sure)?
3. Are the NTFS permissions on the folder set correctly?
4. Does the Administrator credentials work?
5. Is the machines set to NTLM v1/v2 within the SMB Client Settings?

not really sure what you mean by the last one. the printer is already set up on the network and all computers access it. i read something about creating a separate user just for it but we have a pretty tight policy about users so i used my server account.
if you could provide an example itd really help. we have a number of files within the server, say server\\v:\ and then a number of files that have restricted access; my account for example, can access all those files, so whats the problem with me using my credentials for the printer? would it trigger if its noticing two devices using the same credentials?

odv
10-15-2014, 02:05 PM
not really sure what you mean by the last one. the printer is already set up on the network and all computers access it. i read something about creating a separate user just for it but we have a pretty tight policy about users so i used my server account.
if you could provide an example itd really help. we have a number of files within the server, say server\\v:\ and then a number of files that have restricted access; my account for example, can access all those files, so whats the problem with me using my credentials for the printer? would it trigger if its noticing two devices using the same credentials?

ok scratch that last one, now the error is "no folder specified"
filepath must be off

TheOwl
10-16-2014, 02:01 AM

The last one is to make sure that your machine is enabled for NTLM v1/v2 because Konica Minolta devices out of the box are enabled for NTLM v1 only. AD and later versions of Windows Server required user authentication via NTLM v2.

The reason why you would use an account specific to the machine or your MFD fleet is that user passwords change, so you would then have to change all the passwords stored in the devices. Using an account for the machine allows you to set security permissions around the machines and to use a highly complex password that will never change.

When you say server\\v:\ you are referring to a physical drive within your server and not a UNC path. When setting the one-touch, it should look something like:

Host: server
File: sharename\childname

odv
10-16-2014, 01:11 PM
The last one is to make sure that your machine is enabled for NTLM v1/v2 because Konica Minolta devices out of the box are enabled for NTLM v1 only. AD and later versions of Windows Server required user authentication via NTLM v2.

The reason why you would use an account specific to the machine or your MFD fleet is that user passwords change, so you would then have to change all the passwords stored in the devices. Using an account for the machine allows you to set security permissions around the machines and to use a highly complex password that will never change.

When you say server\\v:\ you are referring to a physical drive within your server and not a UNC path. When setting the one-touch, it should look something like:

Host: server
File: sharename\childname

yeah, we figured out yesterday that instead of putting the ip on host we'd just put server and filepath shared folder\...

how come the IP wouldn't work better than the name?

TheOwl
10-16-2014, 11:17 PM
yeah, we figured out yesterday that instead of putting the ip on host we'd just put server and filepath shared folder\...

Does the server have multiple IP addresses?

habik
10-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Host Name used "host box checked"
IP used "host box unchecked"

Sent from my iDon't believe in marketing device using Tapatalk

Custom Search