PDA

View Full Version : C-4520 AFTER FIRMWARE UP....

Custom Search

methogod
03-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Upgraded to latest version of firmware....60 all around.

No problems, did a few test prints. When i ran a 1250 page duplex job 6 hours later it coded out right away on wake from sleep with a c-4520.

Followed the manual and did the registration adjustment. ERROR 2.

did a few test prints, before it went into adjustments, and was able to get them out.

Ran the registration adjustment again and this time I didn't get any errors.

The Yellow DRUM WAS JUST REPLACED (AS WELL AS ALL 4 DRUMS AND DEV AND DV UNITS) IT WAS OVER DUE AND TIME. but the yellow drum was holding toner, and causing voids.

I read that the 103C DRUMS work best with the latest firmware. If i have to pull the process unit ever 2000 pages and clean the drum its hopeless.

I have 104 drums on order, will see what happens.

My question is after firmware, does anything need to be ran again? setup wise?

Also should i try another 103C drum first and see if the yellow drum works better? or just jump to the 104?

I can go though a PM kit in 2 weeks, as duplex 12x18 (2 up 8.5x11) goes fast....% wise.

I let the counts go past usually as it works well.

Any specific firmware fixes for the drum issues.

thanks,

Cantechman
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Your problem is most likely a dirty color registration sensor. Clean it and the machine should start up fine. Drums do not correspond with specific firmware.

emujo
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Type of MFP (I could look up part# you listed for drum units, but I'm lazy) firmware version you were at before update, might help. Emujo

methogod
03-06-2012, 02:04 PM
it was all over the place, i think 50 - now its current at 60

but the toner issue was happening before we changed all consumables.

machine has just over 1M, i ran a ton on it before the drum issue started, but the machine was sitting in storage for a year (climate controled).

Its the black drums as well, but less noticeable due to coverage of my prints.

since ever 12x18 duplex is 4 clicks, it only takes 50K to pop a PM KIT. We let it go longer, but this is the first major issue.

Why its not happening to all the drums i don't know, but its just the YELLOW and BLACK.

I have the newer 104 drums on their way, should i replace all 4, or just the yellow and black? Should i save the black for when the CYAN or MAGENTA is due?

I self maintain pretty much, i have access to techs and support, i don't mind having to pull the process unit every 3000 clicks and clean 2 drums, especially if there is a cleaner that works well and wont scratch it up. The toner is so hard you need a business card or a good finger nail to get it off...

thanks,

ineo+6501
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Change to the DU-104 drum unit like has been suggested before, and on a very long thread regarding the drums on the C6500/C6501 series (mainly yellow and black).

C4520 code is usually a dirty colour registration sensor assembly. Remove it, clean it, re-fit it.

As for the click count to PM, this can be set to single click using the software switches as seen in the manual.

methogod
03-06-2012, 05:57 PM
since i dont pay per click, i just pay when my tech does a PM, or whatever (a very fair rate) as we have other machines under contract.....

does the machine respond well to setting it for single clicks?

thanks,

Albonline
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
I would be suspecting poor air flow in this unit are the exaust fans restricted or dirty?

methogod
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
i have to cover off the back of the machine. I would say its as dirty as its always is. Should i vacuum from the back or the front?

IF this problem is not fixed by the du-104 drums what are my best options for cleaning the drums every 2000-3000 clicks.

I was suggested a very small amount of WD40, other say Windex without ammonia. I have tried the windex and it doesnt really help. I used a edge of a business card and chip it off little by little.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ineo+6501
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Changing the counters to single click will increase the number of copies before the PM indicator shows. I have several C6501's on single click with no effect on the machines reliability.

Up until using the 104 drum, we used IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) to clean the spots off.

Since using the 104 drums, no spots at all.

methogod
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Would it be bad to only replace the yellow and black drums to du104's and keep the du103c's in the other two for the time being.

Thanks,

ineo+6501
03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Yes that won't be a problem. I have only replaced the problem drums on a few machines, with good results.
No point in replacing working drums. Just replace the Cyan & Magenta when they naturally come to end of life.

methogod
03-09-2012, 03:58 PM
yes, that was my plan, to replace the YELLOW, SEE IF THE ISSUE RESOLVES ITSELF.

then if the black keep building up would do that next.

but the magenta and cyan seem to be ok.

i have the C6501 in my front hallway, it was the only place left to put it, in the back of my press floor we have 7 KM BH 920s and a ton of equipment, folders, injetters, insertering machines. etc.

I have the C6501 and the two small color machines in the office half of my building.

The AC is on every time i run a big job, i keep it at 70 degrees if not lower.

I have the main body at least 8 inches away from the back wall.

The C6501 never stop's to cool down, like the BH 920's sometime need to. There almost no humidity in my office, whereas in my warehouse there is always some.

I am going to run the crap out of it this weekend, i want to get another 10K out of the YELLOW du103C drum, since it just my marketing mailers i don't mind cleaning it.

thanks for all the help..

ineo+6501
03-09-2012, 04:24 PM
The opinion on here is that the spots are a build up caused mainly by poor airflow through the filter on the right hand side of the machine. This is the cloth type filter which is stuck to the frame, beneath the machine's right hand cover. You can see the grill for this moulded into the cover. It is easy peasy to clean if you only have the bypass or LC, but if you have the large PF fitted it is a major headache as this has to be removed to get to it.

As you are an end-user, it is well worth keeping as many of the ducts/filters as you can access as clean as possible on these boxes. As well as vac/rotate the filter panels in the filter box as a regular thing.

As an experiment, I personally have only replaced the black and yellow drums on a problem C6501, without cleaning these filters.
Before the DU-104's were fitted, the DU-102C's would do maybe 2K before building up spots on the black and yellow.
Since the DU-104's have replaced them, the machine has done 60K+ without any build up at all.

The best and most cost effective thing you could do for this machine, is to find yourself a good tech who knows this box inside out.

It can become a really costly thing to just throw parts at these. For example, here in the UK the Drum Units don't come powdered (don't know about the US supply). If you fit 1 to the machine without any setting powder, you can easily have a £260 drum scratched and producing lines within a few hundred prints. Costly when it should run for about 200k.

methogod
03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I see the filters that done come out. I will pull the PF unit off this weekend and clean them.

I also was told to run with the PF door open (cheet the door swtich), to help with air flow...

The filter that is easy to remove, i clean it every few days with the toner vac.

will try it.

methogod
03-10-2012, 06:19 AM
So i took the time pulled all 4 drums, found WD40 works best, with a very soft cloth dissolves the hardened toner, then I went behind it with alcohol. Powdered them up, cleaned the corona's and wiped everything down.

I have the DU-104 drums but i wanted the run the crap out of it since the yellow drum has a small scratch that i cant use for production but for my marketing flyers, i can run it out.

So after 400-500 sheets, started having the ADU door pop open. Never had that happen before.

Any idea's?

I put a piece of packaging tape over the lower half, keep it closed good. Then i got a duplex jam. 2 or 3 times.

Any idea's??

thanks,

ineo+6501
03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Never had that happen. Sounds like something behind the ADU door isn't sitting properly?

Custom Search