PDA

View Full Version : konica minolta di 2010f constantly sending and recieving fake faxes

Custom Search

brent
03-15-2012, 11:22 PM
constantly sends to nowhere and recieves from no where. beeps all the time. and I printed the activity report out and it showed some faxes recieved and sent. and also it says the word. INTERR on the activity report. I tried to initialize. then memory clear. then replaced the little chip that sits on the side. nothing
what would be my next logical step before the mfb board? pwb a?

thanks guy's

brent

blackcat4866
03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Have you tried installing a simple handset to see if the line is actually ringing, and if it is ringing are they fax communications, or something else?

You may very well have a modem going nuts, unsuccessfully trying to communicate with a fax.

The closest I've every experienced myself is when we were using Sharp's fax remote diagnostic program RED. Certain machines, once contacted would continually try to re-contact RED computer. I don't remember what we did to stop it. I think it was an All Clear. =^..^=

TheOwl
03-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Is the fax on the same line as something like an EFTPOS unit? Try unplugging the fax line to the machine and ring the fax number.

You could also try turning off dial tone detection in service mode and then leave the fax temporarily unplugged and see if it still tries to send mystery faxes. If so, the problem is with the machine and if not, then the problem is with the lines.

KEVIN900
03-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Easiest fix, off the beeps in Admin Mode.
:)

brent
03-16-2012, 02:25 AM
thanks for all the thoughts. more background. this all started 2 weeks ago when they had phone problems. since then it has been on and off. I go into the fax screen and hit on hook dial. in a good machine you can hear the tone. but this one you can kind of hear it. then it tries to redial. or recieve. so I will take your thought and go have another look tomorrow. it possibly could just be the phone line going crazy. or the fax board. i have extras. just thought I would pic your alls brains. thanks so much

brent

brent
03-16-2012, 02:27 AM
oh. and owl I did remove the line from the machine. and it did not seem to send or recieve... it is all starting to make more sence.

and yes. I shut the beeps off. for my own sanity.. lol

thanks guys brent

The-Peanut
03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
fire in a loan fax machine, see if the loan fax has any issues, if it does, its not your problem, its the people who maintain the telephone system,

Is the line dedicated or shared with a Franking machine,broadband, fire alarm system, or even a credit card system?

i'm wondering if any of them if connected may be receiving remote dialing

brent
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I went to the machine today and it was fine. of course. but then later today they called back. it is doing the same thing. I had them unplug the phone line. and all the poblems went away. but of course they can not fax. so I am left to believe that it is the phone line. it is a dedicate fax line that started goofing up 2 weeks ago. so they are going to get a tech from the phone company out next week. but of course he is going to say its the fax machine.. lol ... she also said she could hear when it tried to fax there were peoples voices she could hear. sounds like a bad phone line to me!!!

thanks for the help
hope the phone company can come through on this one
brent

blackcat4866
03-17-2012, 01:44 AM
It sounds like you need a phone line tester:

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/fax-printer-technical-discussion/53441-tools-test-fax-line-2.html
=^..^=

mjunkaged
03-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Been diagnosing fax problems for over a decade. BUY A CHEAP WIRED TELEPHONE!! then you can see if the dial tone is weak in the 'handset' you just bought for under $10 at a drugstore/dollar store.
Also, INTERR means, the customer INTERRUPTED the fax TX or RX. If anything external is connected to the tel jack on the copier, or at a splitter at the wall jack, or at another jack w/ the same number, that's your culprit.
ALSO, if they have a DSL modem, make sure the machine has a DSL FILTER if the fax # is same as DSL #.

Sometimes, the cust. gets a new phone sys. that requires a '9' to be dialed when one didn't before. Esp. if it's related to sending faxes using the one-touches programmed (which it sounds like you've wiped if they existed)
ALWAYS go for the phone line when having send/rcv. problems FIRST. And, NEVER COUNT ON A PHONE GUY TO FIND THE PROBLEM. They probably glossed over fax theory for 30 sec. in phone-guy skool.

brent
03-17-2012, 05:08 AM
it is so intermittent. hard to tell. yesterday when I was there. it was hard to go into the (on hook) or what ever its called. that is how I can hear the phone tone. when I hit that I could hear tone. but lots of static and other stuff in the line. like I said earlier. today it was fine in the morning. crappy in the afternoon. I already know the phone guy will come in monday and say. hell it's fine! I am counting on that. so I will buy a line tester. and well go from there.

thanks for your thoughts
brent

EarthKmTech
03-19-2012, 09:09 AM
if the copiers plugged into an analog line card in a phone system, I'd be more suspicious of the phone system being at fault than the copier.

as others have said, a simple handset is a mandatory minimum piece of test equipment for diagnosing fax issues, 99.9% of the time there is no issue with the machine at all and its just the line.

easy earner too, "faults not with the machine, YOU GOTTA PAY!"

PS, a constant ring chirp on the line is usually a misconfiguration on the phone system, double check that the line is not setup for voice mail.

blackcat4866
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
This is a little off-topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

I've come across this situation at least twice before. The first time it was the emergency alarm system modem which shares the fax line. The customer had a power outage which reset the alarm system modem to answer on the first ring. The fax was set to answer on the second ring. So the fax would ring once, but never answer or receive, because the alarm system modem was grabbing the receptions. The alarm company was called, and reprogrammed their modem, and all was right with the world again.

Another common situation is when the fax shares a line with a credit card machine or postage machine. All these devices are stupid machines. They have no way of checking if the line is available. When the process is started it just talks right over any other device already using the line. Then both transactions fail. And the customer says "We never use the credit card machine when the fax is working ... " And how do you know know when that is? All faxes nowadays use memory reception and transmission. There is no way for you to know until you hear all that additional squawking from the fax monitor. By then it's too late.

brent
03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
you guy's are the best.
I have advised said customer that they problem is in the phone line
it just started all of the sudden. I probably will find that they hooked up another
device to that line. or the line has a problem.

i will know soon.

thanks
brent

Custom Search