PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C550 prints skew from bypass tray

Custom Search

VZDPrinters
03-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Need help to adjust the bypass tray.

I bought another C550 last week (second hand). Everything fine exept for when printing from bypass tray the leading edge and trailing edge differs from 1 - 2 mm somtimes, this makes a disaster for the cutting process. We print most of our stock through the bypass tray.

Stock Specs:
300g Titan HiQ gloss - 311mm x 455mm

Question/s:
1. Where can I start looking to adjust
2. What can I adjust

Thank you in advance.

blackcat4866
03-24-2012, 02:14 PM
There is no sure fire cure for this problem. 300g high gloss paper will feed poorly and skew and fuse poorly. Change to a lighter weight, semi-gloss media. This is a plain paper copier, not a press.
In addition I believe that your full bleed paper may be out of specs in another way: Full bleed paper should measure 305 x 457. This could account for misregistration. =^..^=

VZDPrinters
03-24-2012, 02:32 PM
The problem is persistant over all different stock sizes and thickness. The other C550 runs 100% square on all stocks.

blackcat4866
03-24-2012, 06:12 PM
It's not that I doubt ... OK, I doubt. I expect that plain paper actually feeds fine. Glossy stock is a problem on every weight, every machine I've worked on. It's slippery, and often has a coating which comes off on the rollers in the machine. You may get some improvement from a thorough roller cleaning, and possibly roller replacement, but don't expect the the rollers to remain clean. Plus you've got the heaviest possible stock which does not want to buckle properly. Let me back up a little.

When paper passes through a copier, the paper is purposely buckled to keep it running straight through the machine. The heavier the paper, the less able the paper is to buckle, whether it's at the fuser causing image blurs, or at the registration rollers causing image skew and varying registration. There is absolutely nothing you can do to the machine to make the paper more able to buckle. It's just too stiff. When the paper hits the registration roller and cannot buckle, I just pushes through and is not straightened or properly registered.

And if you've got the saddle stitcher don't expect it to fold that paper stock either. The saddle stitcher can fold up to three sheets of 64 to 90 gsm paper, or saddle stitched 16 pages of 64 to 90 gsm paper.

Here, I'll attach the machine media specs if you don't have them.
Specifications - bizhub C550 | KONICA MINOLTA (http://www.biz.konicaminolta.com/colour/c550/spec.html)

Check out the Media Guide, pg 23-24. KM is recommending Mohawk Fine Papers, Mohawk Color Copy 270 gsm. Maybe you'll have better luck with that:
http://www.novacopy.com/sw/swchannel/CustomerCenter/documents/6696/15750/Konica-Minolta-Paper-Guide.pdf

You won't know how many times I've heard someone say: "Oh but I've been running that for years, can't you just replace the hoozits?" If it was never intended for that purpose, I would just be wasting my time and your money. Consider yourself fortunate for your previous successes.

We both know that you want your copier to be a press, but it can't be. If you're looking to define your machines absolute limits, I think you've succeeded.

Please try to excuse my presentation. Most of the time when I say these words I'm ignored. =^..^=

VZDPrinters
03-26-2012, 05:36 AM
You are absolutly write about the copier that is not a press, and that is was not made for this, I have heard is several times from the local suppliers. But we manedge with a lot of patients to get the job done and the stock throught the machine.

We got the problem sorted, you stated that the rollers was glazed over, I went back and checked that I have missed two sets of rollers, cleaned them and now its a lot better than what it was.

Thanks for the explenation on the buckling never actually knew how that worked but have a better understanding of this and it will help me in the future.

Will also see if my local paper supplier can get that type of stock to try and maybe use. We are in South Africa, its not always possible to get averything here.

Thanks
:D

Custom Search