PDA

View Full Version : konica minolta 3510 toner drive question

Custom Search

brent
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I have rebuilt quite a few of these toner drive systems. but had a question. since yo ucan not buy the entire unit (im talking about the unit itself with the gears and soleniod. that unscrews from the back of the machine.and comes out right in the middle of the machine) anyways upon closer inspection of that unit. it seems that you can manually drive the unit and the 2 gears willsometimes get stuck together. now keep in mind there are a big slot in the one gear. just would love to have someone explain that gear drive. I have just rebuilt one and am not thinking this one went back together right? it is a lot of work to get these in and out. especially if they were assembled wrong? thanks for all

brent

mo0651
03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
We have gotten the entire unit before. I will have to look for part #.

907tec
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
If you are talking about the bracket assembly with gears that drives the toner bottle rotation, it is available as a complete unit. With solenoid, I believe. P19 of the Parts Manual, #45 - (4030 0788 00), Hopper Drive Unit. The newer versions have a wider shaft for one of the gears, supposedly to prevent warping when torqued.

I have also noticed the gears "getting stuck together", as you described it. If you click the solenoid to release the upper gear, then rotate the gears as they would be in the machine, you can see the toner bottle drive "sticking" to the other gear. Looking at the parts manual, I am talking about #9 - (Gear 29t / 4030 5369 02) and #11 - (Gear 37/42t / 4030 5368 02). After the solenoid releases Gear#11, it catches the protrusion on Gear#9 to drag it around. The problem that I was seeing, was that the protrusion on Gear#9 didn't end in the correct home position. When the solenoid would fire during another "toner add" situation, Gear#11 will be unable to catch the protrusion, causing the "machine-gun" ratcheting-sound that is all-too-familiar.

I have had this problem happen on brand new, modified Hopper Drive Units, using OEM toner and swapping Toner Drawers just to be sure. I ended up modifying one of the drive assemblies to prevent the Gear#9 shaft from spinning backwards. Watching it closely, you can see that after it is released by Gear#11, it slides backwards ever so slightly when not being driven. After a few failed attempts, I found a way to mount a one-way bearing to the shaft (Shaft#8 - 4030 5372 01 on Parts Manual P51). It worked relatively well...not the prettiest mod, but it eliminated the toner bottle drive problems.

brent
03-27-2012, 02:16 AM
thanks for the part number. I must have missed it in the parts manual. I ordered 2. but they are on back order. I appreciate your help gents
brent

Custom Search