PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous DNS Talk

Custom Search

morpk
04-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Hi all,
I have been noticing a growing trend with Konica Minolta and DNS and SMB don't go together well (sometime)
e.g
Small home setup-
1 Router, 3 PC's
PC1 host name: Computer1
setup scan to smb with that host name and get server connection error
change to the IP Address and works perfect
extra info the machine can ping the host name of the PC and i can ping host names from PC's to PC's

so thoughts, i think that because i can ping host name between machine and pc's that the router is doing it's job.
i know that this is a complicated issues and i'm not new to DNS but also i'm not an expert just wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on the issue.

EarthKmTech
04-03-2012, 11:53 PM
set the machine to automatically obtain IP address & DNS information, reboot and try scanning using the computer name again. (after sufficient boot up time)

if it works, write down the missing information found in the DNS/domain page (this will be obtained from the router)

go back to static IP and set it up properly.

seen it heaps of times.

TheOwl
04-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Sometimes you need to enable DDNS (Dynamic DNS) which basically forces the DNS server to update the machines entry in the DNS table.

morpk
04-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I will give it a try next time i am out on a install

ta

morpk
04-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Sometimes you need to enable DDNS (Dynamic DNS) which basically forces the DNS server to update the machines entry in the DNS table.

dose this update the DNS host file on the machine or the router ?

TheOwl
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
It updates the DNS Server when the device is turned on.

Custom Search