PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta Scan to SMB 'Server Connection Error'

Custom Search

TheOwl
05-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Posting this here as well with a link to the original thread in case people don't go through the Connectivity sections as much.

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/65042-konica-minolta-scan-smb-server-connection-error.html#post288680

Here is another how to instead of a question which is about scanning to a hidden SMB share from a Konica Minolta.

To start with, you will need to know the difference between a normal share and a hidden share. If you already know this, then skip to the next paragrapgh. Normal shares are generally (with certain exceptions) visible to all users on the network even if they have permission to view the contents or not. Hidden shares have a $ sign at the end of them which means you can't see the share from a remote computer just by browsing to the server over the network. You have to know that it is there ande go directly to the share (adding the $ sign at the end of the share name) to gain access (assuming that you have permission).

Normally if you type in the wrong host or share name, the copier will error in the log with 'Server Connection Error' which most will know as the machine not being able to find the server or share on the network. If you type the username or password in wrong, then you would normally get a 'Login Error' recorded in the log.

My machine had the right server name and the right share name in it, but was reporting back with 'Server Connection Error' everytime. The difference was that the share was a hidden share (share name with a $ sign after it). I made sure the DNS Domain name was right, the NTLM version was set correctly but wouldn't work. It was until I gave the user permission on the share that the machine started scanning correctly. I thought to myself that this wasn't right because I should have been getting a login error.

Thinking about this later I figured out the reason for the copier showing 'Server Connection Error' was with hidden shares, you have to be given permission to view the share, so the copier was reporting the correct error before I gave the username permissions for that share. Basically this means the username that the copier was using, didn't have permission to see the hidden share, there for the copier couldn't see where it was supposed to place the scanned file.

If you want anymore clarification, please reply to the thread as I know my posts can get a little bit confusing at times.

Hope this helps.

Owl

blackcat4866
05-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Nice! Thanks Owl.

I battled with one of these hidden shares yesterday. 'Login Error' was the message. We used the login information off the Canon being removed, but it would log in. After testing the login we discovered that the password was not working. After resetting the password, and re-entering the password it started to work. Same password was re-entered. =^..^=

habik
05-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Nice! Thanks Owl.

I battled with one of these hidden shares yesterday. 'Login Error' was the message. We used the login information off the Canon being removed, but it would log in. After testing the login we discovered that the password was not working. After resetting the password, and re-entering the password it started to work. Same password was re-entered. =^..^=

I do Capitals in HOST names and pasword entry upon each change whether host name change or username change or path...alway type in the password.

Thanks OWL great info on the hidden share! Useful..

TheOwl
05-04-2012, 03:57 AM
I have never used capitals with host, sharename or usernames ever.

habik
05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I have never used capitals with host, sharename or usernames ever.

When I tried to use SMB scanning on +253 it would not allow me to drop the files in the PC until I had host name in capitals...

What could have caused that then?

TheOwl
05-06-2012, 11:32 PM
It could be a difference in regions.

NewTech72
10-18-2019, 04:37 PM
I am having this issue with a Konica Minotla c308. I have followed all the instructions to setup the Scan to Network(SMB) and have entered all the information to the server that it needs to scan to. It runs Windows Server 2012 and all other scan to network setting for other folders that are on this server have been set all the same with certain permissions allowed for specific users as well to be able to Read, Write, and Execute to this shared folder. I have read the manual and have downloaded the Konica Minolta Troubleshooting steps as well and have done all of what they suggest. As for the folder name it goes to, in the troubleshooting it talks about the amount of characters for a Mac OS not Windows. If anyone has any idea of what else to do it would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Phil B.
10-18-2019, 05:13 PM
I am having this issue with a Konica Minotla c308. I have followed all the instructions to setup the Scan to Network(SMB) and have entered all the information to the server that it needs to scan to. It runs Windows Server 2012 and all other scan to network setting for other folders that are on this server have been set all the same with certain permissions allowed for specific users as well to be able to Read, Write, and Execute to this shared folder. I have read the manual and have downloaded the Konica Minolta Troubleshooting steps as well and have done all of what they suggest. As for the folder name it goes to, in the troubleshooting it talks about the amount of characters for a Mac OS not Windows. If anyone has any idea of what else to do it would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
here's an idea..

this thread had been DEAD since 2012...

you should start a NEW thread...

more than likely the SMB block on the new WINxxx OS

bsm2
10-18-2019, 05:19 PM
here's an idea..

this thread had been DEAD since 2012...

you should start a NEW thread...

more than likely the SMB block on the new WINxxx OS

More useless information posted from you

Double check your network DNS settings

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFa7H81RGgM

NewTech72
10-18-2019, 06:41 PM

Here you go

Thank you for that information. The DNS settings are working fine since the file server can get everything that is sent to it. I am sorry for putting in a help request to an old issue. We have checked the server settings as well and all permissions on the shared folder that the scans need to go to are set to what they need to be set to. Thank you again though for the suggestion and video. I do appreciate it.

Phil B.
10-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Here you go

seems like NewTech already tried that didn't work...

nice job TROLLING me dude. You have been reported..

back under the porch puppy.

:p:D:cool:

bsm2
10-18-2019, 07:17 PM
seems like NewTech already tried that didn't work...

nice job TROLLING me dude. You have been reported..

back under the porch puppy.

:p:D:cool:
Ha ha ha why would I troll a worthless tech that gives zero help to someone looking for help,that's right a so called service manager enjoy keep posting garbage No worries the real techs will always help

tsbservice
10-18-2019, 08:13 PM

So from your description it's not clear at all what exactly have you done.
Did it ever work before? At what FW level your machine sits on? What's the actual error code in Job log?
What manual you followed? Help yourself by giving proper information!

Custom Search