PDA

View Full Version : C451 scan to email problems

Custom Search

charzelo
05-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Hi techs please help

We have Konica Minolta bizhub c451 and we are trying to sort the smtp settings on the device. The problem is that our ISP does not require any authentication level when connecting to their smtp server with our broadband (so i have been told by our network admin & ISP). I can only use the host name option on the device as the smtp address has multiple ip addresses. Here is a link (http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-email.html)to my ISP's website for KB email setup

Can some one give me a hand on this place please. I have been trying to sort this out for weeks and i still haven't managed.

blackcat4866
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
If you're using hostname for your SMTP, you'll need to enter a primary DNS, and possibly a secondary DNS.

From one of the client PCs go to the command prompt and enter: ipconfig/all
then Enter. You can gather DNS information from this screen. Enter the DNS in the Network screen of the MFPs web interface.

To confirm that DNS is working, in the command prompt enter your SMTP hostname preceeded by ping, for example: ping mail.copytechnet.com
then Enter. If it's working you'll see the address that the hostname resolves to, then the response to the ping. Note: Some SMTP servers do not respond to a ping, even when communicating properly.

charzelo
05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
If you're using hostname for your SMTP, you'll need to enter a primary DNS, and possibly a secondary DNS.

then Enter. You can gather DNS information from this screen. Enter the DNS in the Network screen of the MFPs web interface.

To confirm that DNS is working, in the command prompt enter your SMTP hostname preceeded by ping, for example: ping mail.copytechnet.com
then Enter. If it's working you'll see the address that the hostname resolves to, then the response to the ping. Note: Some SMTP servers do not respond to a ping, even when communicating properly.

Thanks for your reply i will give it ago tomorrow at the office and inform you how it went

TheOwl
05-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Another good DNS server to use which is outside of the network is 8.8.8.8 which is one of Google's oublic DNS servers.

Failing the DNS setup, it shouldn't be a problem to use the IP address of the SMTP server. While there might be multiple addresses, you will find that ISP's don't change the IP address too often as there are DNS and MX Records in the internet that need to be changed to point to a new IP address which has the effect of bringing down email services temporarily.

I got a reply on 81.187.30.53, but according to the link that you posted, this mail server does use authentication. The other thing that I found is that I can't telnet into that server on port 25 so they might have that locked down to clients that are on the network or they have changed the SMTP port number.

charzelo
05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Another good DNS server to use which is outside of the network is 8.8.8.8 which is one of Google's oublic DNS servers.

Failing the DNS setup, it shouldn't be a problem to use the IP address of the SMTP server. While there might be multiple addresses, you will find that ISP's don't change the IP address too often as there are DNS and MX Records in the internet that need to be changed to point to a new IP address which has the effect of bringing down email services temporarily.

I got a reply on 81.187.30.53, but according to the link that you posted, this mail server does use authentication. The other thing that I found is that I can't telnet into that server on port 25 so they might have that locked down to clients that are on the network or they have changed the SMTP port number.

I don't know exactly how the google public dns will work. will i have to to change the host name as well?

The mail server does not require any authentication when you are part of the network. i don't know about the telnet by i will ask my isp if im using the right ports.

charzelo
05-14-2012, 02:11 PM

Hi i have followed your guide with no luck unfortunately. i have attached 3 printscreens. can you have a look for me to what i am doing wrong lease

emujo
05-14-2012, 02:35 PM
I notice that you have "POP before SMTP" set to ON. This is unusual, the MFP is trying to receive mail before sending (most customers don't use POP). Try setting this to OFF. In many cases where the customer has their own mail server, authentication is not needed when sending mail to a destination within the network, the problem comes up when trying to send to an external destination.. You should be getting an error code on the LCD..it will be under job history..SEND..highlight the failed job and press details..this will say either server connect error, or login failure..this info might help figure out what the real issue is...As far as the TELNET command..open a dos prompt and key in TELNET server name or IP address 25 ie telnet kmbsvcare.com 25.
If this is an open port you should get a new window with some basic info about the server. If the port is blocked you will get a failed message. Try port 2525 as an alternantive. Your ISP should be able to give you settings like SSL and assoc ports if needed. When all else fails you can set up a gmail account just to test the email fuctionality of the MFP (working or MFP problem)..Quite simple to do, create a google mail account and use your name/password for the login info..server should be SMTP.GMAIL.COM...SMTP over SSL on port 465. At least this way you can rule out a MFP problem and can utilize the email capacity until you can get your settings figured out. EMujo

charzelo
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
I notice that you have "POP before SMTP" set to ON. This is unusual, the MFP is trying to receive mail before sending (most customers don't use POP). Try setting this to OFF. In many cases where the customer has their own mail server, authentication is not needed when sending mail to a destination within the network, the problem comes up when trying to send to an external destination.. You should be getting an error code on the LCD..it will be under job history..SEND..highlight the failed job and press details..this will say either server connect error, or login failure..this info might help figure out what the real issue is...As far as the TELNET command..open a dos prompt and key in TELNET server name or IP address 25 ie telnet kmbsvcare.com 25.
If this is an open port you should get a new window with some basic info about the server. If the port is blocked you will get a failed message. Try port 2525 as an alternantive. Your ISP should be able to give you settings like SSL and assoc ports if needed. When all else fails you can set up a gmail account just to test the email fuctionality of the MFP (working or MFP problem)..Quite simple to do, create a google mail account and use your name/password for the login info..server should be SMTP.GMAIL.COM...SMTP over SSL on port 465. At least this way you can rule out a MFP problem and can utilize the email capacity until you can get your settings figured out. EMujo

Thanks emjuo i will give it a go and report the outcome

TheOwl
05-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Think of the Google DNS server as a DNS server for the internet and the internal DNS server on your customers network as a DNS server for anything inside the network.

For names like google.com, aa.net.uk and microsoft.com, your internal DNS server won't resolve this because it only knows internal names to IP addresses. This is why DNS servers are setup with what is called a DNS Forwarder which is an outside or ISP DNS server. You internal server forwards the question to an outside source which then informs your internal server of what the IP address is which then updates the client node.

A little bit confusing, but that is the basics of internally and externally hosted DNS servers.

blackcat4866
05-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Agree on both points:

POP before SMTP is usually Off
And if your email server is external (SSL) it won't be port 25. Port 25 is used primarily for internal SMTP servers. Also, an external email server using SSL will have authentication of some sort (i.e.: username & password). Why use a secure server and not set a login and password?

I suspect there is still problems with your credentials. =^..^=

Correction: I have been advised that port 25 is the standard email port for internal and external servers. The exception is certain off-site servers that receive email on a specific port, then relay it on port 25. (Did I get that right? Thanks, Owl.) =^..^=

Custom Search