PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Bizhub 600 internal breakers keep tripping

Custom Search

techhelpbr
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
I have a Bizhub 600 that I've been dealing with for several months now. While in use the machine will arbitrarily just shut off. Using the power button does nothing when this happens. I figured out that the two internal circuit breakers inside at the lower right on the rear of the copier were tripping. Resetting these breakers by pushing the buttons restores power to the machine, which runs fine until the breakers blow again.

Supposedly a professional electrician tested the wall current at the socket and found it to be within specifications. I checked it myself with my multimeter and found the current to be from 118v to 120v, within normal range. I replaced each of the two breakers, and that seemed to have alleviated the problem for a while, but recently they began tripping again.

I'm no electrician, and honestly don't know much about this copier either. I figure that either the wall current is bad or is spiking, or that some device inside the copier is drawing too much power. If it's spiking, perhaps I could put it on a UPS to even out the current and see if that helps (which, if it did, would confirm that the problem is with the wall current and not the copier).

If it's something internal, does anyone out there have any ideas as to what it could be? I've studied the manual in detail, and searched the web, but have been able to find no help in either. If any of you have any idea where to start, I'd be grateful for the help.

Thanks.

copymech
05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
I had a simular problem on a canon ir600. a fellow tech had pinched a signal wire going to the fuser. took me many trips to find it. i would find out what work had ben done to the copier and carefully inspect those area for pinched wires.

techhelpbr
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, there is no service record on this machine. The company I'm doing the work for replaced the last company, who got fired for shoddy work. I have no idea what they did before I began working on it and there's no way to find out. I'm about to go there now, and I will check to see if there are any pinched or damaged wires I can find. I'm also thinking about putting the copier on a UPS temporarily to smooth out any spikes that might be coming over the wall current, and see if that keeps the breakers from tripping.

I appreciate the the help. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Albonline
05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
check the voltage while copier is running, if the wall supply falls below 108 or so the circuit is not good enough for the unit.

techhelpbr
05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I do appreciate the tip. The copier is running off of 220 rather than 110, but I did check the voltage. It seems to be drawing a steady 215 or so. It doesn't fluctuate a lot, so am I correct in thinking that means the problem is with the copier itself rather than the wall current? There weren't any 220 UPSs around there, so I wasn't able to try plugging it in to one to see if it eliminated the problem.

I did notice that when I pulled the breakers out of the back, I heard a faint spitting sound, like one of the connectors was loose and arcing. I pulled those plugs off and squeezed the connectors in a pair of needle-nose pliers to tighten them up a little. It was difficult to plug the breaker back into the connectors, and when I did get it plugged in it was so tight it would have been difficult to remove. I put the copier back together and it made over a hundred copies without halting once. I'm hoping that's all the problem was. If that wasn't a fix I'm prepared to go back.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd be grateful for them. Chances are I will have to return to this site sooner or later for the same issue.

Thanks.

SmellsHot
05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Power Monitor!! Every company NEEDS to have at least one of these. If you have one put it on the same outlet.....Leave it there and if problem returns view your monitor. Simplest thing to do to check if power is faulty...

Custom Search