PDA

View Full Version : C220..Waste toner auger always clogging up!

Custom Search

minimerlin
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has a problem with these machines not transporting the waste toner into the box! I have a continuing problem with one machine that seems to clog the exit area of the transport belt cleaning auger. I feel that the auger is not long enough and instead of the waste toner being moved fully to the chute it just pushes it into a mass which then cannot move down into the waste box. I get a call every month for abnormal noise..caused by the auger stalling and the drive gears jumping. Stripping out the cleaning area and a quick vac out does the job..but only until the next time! I have checked the belt systems against another machine and it is the same..the chute is clear and correctly fitted..just doesn`t do the job! Any ideas?:confused:

blackcat4866
05-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I've got many of these machines nearing the 2nd PM cycle, yet I've never seen this issue ever.

My guess is that as a result of a single clog, there is hidden damage to the drive or auger which perpetuates the problem. I think I'd replace the transfer belt assy and transfer drive just to be done with it.
=^..^=

habik
05-16-2012, 01:22 AM
I think there is a bulletin..

We had 2 transfer belts getting actually shredded due to this issue.

It is caused by bad assembly of the Waste transport mechanism.

I don't have the bulletin on me at this moment.

suomi
05-16-2012, 06:20 AM
This issue may occur depending on installation environment.

The screw of waste toner collecting section is modified for increasing in performance of waste toner
discharge in image transfer belt unit.

This change will be applied on mass-production machines in March.
If noise is produced from image transfer belt unit, image transfer belt unit may be clogged with waste toner,
so replace image transfer belt unit.

If image transfer belt unit is clogged with waste toner, waste toner pipe may be clogged too, so check it too.

minimerlin
05-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks to all that have posted replies. I have already replaced the belt assembly but it makes no difference. The chute has been removed and checked as well and is correctly fitted. The details about a modified unit interests me as I spent a long time on the Konica Europe site today and found nothing about that at all!

acusso1234
05-16-2012, 07:41 PM
I've seen that only two times on differents locations, OEM toner in use and less then 50K clicks on each box. If i look for a common point can only remember that, at the time the umidity was at high levels. I remember that on Canon iR5000 a similar issue was determinated by the low passage air and sometimes i've cutted away an half part of a big rear filter improving in this way the air passage. This box are very relyable, so we have very less opportunities to see them and clean filters...I'm only sharing my opinion..15866

EarthKmTech
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
ive seen it a few times now - KM's bulletin suggests that its because the machines are installed in a carpeted environment and the airborne fibers end up in the waste toner and cause it to clog. This is complete BS as i had a machine doing this regularly in an all tiled environment.

I dismantle the transfer belt cleaner and thoroughly vacuum it out (2 screws) and ensure all hardened chunks are removed. (if the auger screw is snapped the belt must be replaced)
I remove, unblock & vacuum out the waste toner chute (1 screw)

I reassemble and adjust power save settings to 30 minutes(or less) low power mode and anything up-to 180 for sleep mode - the same machine never comes back in twice.

these machines periodically inch the transfer belt every 30 seconds or so, i think that's the real cause of the issue, as in a low volume environment this acts like a belt driven toaster oven and warms up any residual toner on the belt as it passes under the hot area under the fusing unit making it sticky.

Ive not seen the issue in high volume environments.

minimerlin
05-17-2012, 07:51 PM
ive seen it a few times now - KM's bulletin suggests that its because the machines are installed in a carpeted environment and the airborne fibers end up in the waste toner and cause it to clog. This is complete BS as i had a machine doing this regularly in an all tiled environment.

I dismantle the transfer belt cleaner and thoroughly vacuum it out (2 screws) and ensure all hardened chunks are removed. (if the auger screw is snapped the belt must be replaced)

I reassemble and adjust power save settings to 30 minutes(or less) low power mode and anything up-to 180 for sleep mode - the same machine never comes back in twice.

these machines periodically inch the transfer belt every 30 seconds or so, i think that's the real cause of the issue, as in a low volume environment this acts like a belt driven toaster oven and warms up any residual toner on the belt as it passes under the hot area under the fusing unit making it sticky.

Ive not seen the issue in high volume environments.Thanks for your input, I will look at changing the low power times but the machine is used quite regularly but for only a few prints at a time mostly from secure printouts. I will investigate further.

acusso1234
05-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Ive not seen the issue in high volume environments.

Best description readed here. I can only add that, usually, I set Black priority in the second page of System2 tech menu; this kind of setting avoids lots of color calibrations, savying in this way lots of looping time to the customer and the need to change colour parts who had never worked, since lots of mine are used as "B&W boxes who can print in color too"!!!

Custom Search