PDA

View Full Version : Scan to SMB on C220

Custom Search

habik
05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
hi works a treat if IP of the computer is enetered, it does not however if PC Host name is entered instead of IP.

Any quick suggestions?

emujo
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Sounds like a DNS issue...Hook your laptop up to the customers network..(If DHCP) do an IPCONFIG/ALL and verify the MFP and your laptop are showing the same settings..Emujo

habik
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a DNS issue...Hook your laptop up to the customers network..(If DHCP) do an IPCONFIG/ALL and verify the MFP and your laptop are showing the same settings..Emujo

Hi Emujo,

That is what I thought to be it works fine on 3 PC's and it does not on other 2.

I have shut the firewall, and also I notice another other 3rd party firewall..wonder if that messed the setup. Although I have managed to scan to one of the 3 pc with that 3rd party firewall on.

I am puzzled.

Wonder if workgroup management is playing big role? On some machines is managed by windows (recommended) on others Username and password need to be verified.

See how it goes. Need to simulate this on my Win7 machine.

How does this then work on MAC's I was able to scan to FTP on Mac 10.7 only with IP never with HOST name.

Any suggestions on this one?

TheOwl
05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Sounds like the setup of the computers rather than the copier as you said it works for some, just not others.

Sometimes I have found that enabling DDNS can help in these situations, but I still think there is an issue computer side.

Can you ping the computers from the copier (assuming that ICMP is enabled with the 3rd party firewalls)? Can you ping those same computers from other computers on the network?

blackcat4866
05-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Sounds like the setup of the computers rather than the copier as you said it works for some, just not others.

Sometimes I have found that enabling DDNS can help in these situations, but I still think there is an issue computer side.

Can you ping the computers from the copier (assuming that ICMP is enabled with the 3rd party firewalls)? Can you ping those same computers from other computers on the network?

Owl: If I'm reading this correctly, are you suggesting that certain subnets may not be accessible?

I've come across plenty of situations, usually with SMTP, that even though the hostname resolves and pings OK it doesn't work for scan to email when an IP address does. Most times the IT person isn't too picky about it, but once in a while I have someone who want the hostname only. I'll be interested in the answer. =^..^=

TheOwl
05-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Nah,but Subnetting is a complete nightmare to get right though.

Habik just says that the scanning works fine on 3 PC's, but not on 2 others.

emujo
05-24-2012, 01:54 PM
You could easily rule out a MFP problem...work backward from the MFP..you need to make one change 1st...ADMIN/NETWORK/SMB SETTING/PRINT SETTINGs..substitue "workgroup' for the customers domain...ie if it abcbiz.com, use abcbiz...Next create a 1 touch from the utilty/user/create one touch button..Address Book, Public, SMB, go to page 2 and select "reference". Now you should be able to see all shared computers on the network..This should be all the proof you need that something is setup wrong on the customers side...I had one that 2 workstations were named "computer02" one was part of the abcbiz domain and the other was left as the default "workgroup". It was fuzzy enough that the MFP couldn't work with either, but all of the other 20 workstations were clearly visable. Emujo

habik
05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
You could easily rule out a MFP problem...work backward from the MFP..you need to make one change 1st...ADMIN/NETWORK/SMB SETTING/PRINT SETTINGs..substitue "workgroup' for the customers domain...ie if it abcbiz.com, use abcbiz...Next create a 1 touch from the utilty/user/create one touch button..Address Book, Public, SMB, go to page 2 and select "reference". Now you should be able to see all shared computers on the network..This should be all the proof you need that something is setup wrong on the customers side...I had one that 2 workstations were named "computer02" one was part of the abcbiz domain and the other was left as the default "workgroup". It was fuzzy enough that the MFP couldn't work with either, but all of the other 20 workstations were clearly visable. Emujo

This sort of rings a bell...As there are two guys called Andrew. One PC "meant" to be ANDY-PC the other ANDREW-PC . His complain was that both scan address on MFP are going to the same PC . when checked both had Andy-PC as host name grrr

So have changed those 2 PC with correct Host Names one is Andy-PC the other Andrew-PC...when applied settings on one of them I had a blue screen of death for about 3 seconds haven't catched What exactly went on there as I just put my palms on my face..( thinking WTF -I am screwed now) the PC rebooted thank god Win7 for your stability :DD tried safe mode with networking only . worked OK then reboot again normally and it was scanning. BUT that is not the computer I had problem with scanning. It just had the 3rd Party firewall and it was working although I had to change the Host name to get it to work.

All I can say they need a proper IT Administrator to sort theirs network issues and get it a proper order. I am not risking again another blue screens ..

Thanks for your suggestions, but I don't think I have the balls to do trial error on their PC especially after that incident. It is just time consuming and I don't have the time.

Custom Search