PDA

View Full Version : CQ KM-5050 fuser offset random problem

Custom Search

Cj31694
05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
We have a KM-5050 that recently started to do a fuser type offset. The offset is not completely across the copy it is just isolated to the rear of the fixing unit. This offset does not occur constantly, it is random. There is no set amount as to when it happens, sometime on a status report, sometimes on a 200 page print job. Multiple fusers have been replaced, firmware is up to date and has been reflashed, engine board replaced, main board replaced, Power source replaced, Dev. unit replaced, Drum replaced, and the toner was replaced also. The power and GND has been tested while onsite and nothing out of the ordinary is present. The type of paper the customer is using is also the exact brand we use. Its fresh, unopened, and kept in a temp controlled enviroment. Even in Eco mode the offset is present...

We had a tech rep out and the only suggestion he made was to lower the Fixing temp (Maint Mode 161). The Drive Start, Ready Control and Print control were all lowered evenly by 15c. This only made the problem worse. We raised the temp by 15c above factory and the problem returned to its previous state.

Copier info:

Prints: 550k
C Codes in the last 20k: 8230, 3310
C Codes in the last 10k: F14F
Firmware version 2.45a

Venom
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
I would suggest it is a toner problem then.

toddanderson
05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Are you sure it is a fuser offset ?

We have a KM-5050 that recently started to do a fuser type offset. The offset is not completely across the copy it is just isolated to the rear of the fixing unit. This offset does not occur constantly, it is random. There is no set amount as to when it happens, sometime on a status report, sometimes on a 200 page print job. Multiple fusers have been replaced, firmware is up to date and has been reflashed, engine board replaced, main board replaced, Power source replaced, Dev. unit replaced, Drum replaced, and the toner was replaced also. The power and GND has been tested while onsite and nothing out of the ordinary is present. The type of paper the customer is using is also the exact brand we use. Its fresh, unopened, and kept in a temp controlled enviroment. Even in Eco mode the offset is present...

We had a tech rep out and the only suggestion he made was to lower the Fixing temp (Maint Mode 161). The Drive Start, Ready Control and Print control were all lowered evenly by 15c. This only made the problem worse. We raised the temp by 15c above factory and the problem returned to its previous state.

Copier info:

Prints: 550k
C Codes in the last 20k: 8230, 3310
C Codes in the last 10k: F14F
Firmware version 2.45a

blackcat4866
05-24-2012, 01:12 AM
I have a few remaining ideas. Overall you've covered a lot of ground.

1) Like Venom: is it aftermarket toner? or possibly a mix of OEM and aftermarket?
2) Perhaps the internal machine temperature is elevated, especially after long periods of idle. Clean fan filters and check fan operation and be sure that they're pointing the right way. As a quick test just remove the covers and see if the problem goes away. Lowering the fuser temp would help a little, but not enough.
3) Linen paper. I have a customer that uses linen paper for 1/2 of their printing. I've set up a tray with "Rough" media type, and it works. All I need now is for the customer to put the linen paper in the tray with the "Rough" media type. At least 6 times a year I come out for minute spots. When I ask, it's usually after a long run of linen, and yes it's in the wrong tray with the "plain" media type. It cleans right off the fuser. It's just a nuisance.

=^..^=

Custom Search