PDA

View Full Version : C451: Scan function dissapearing intermittently.

Custom Search

Avskrap
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
About five months ago the customer called in, saying that they couldn't scan. I go on site thinking it's network related, but don't find a problem.
After talking with the person who called it in, she told me that what she meant was that when they press "Fax/Scan", the only thing they see and can do is faxing. The on-screen 10-key set is all that's shown and they can't even access the adress book. When this happens, they restart the machine once or twice wich usually solves it, but last week they called in saying that they haven't been able to scan for a week.

I haven't seen the problem myself (wich makes me question if they're actually doing something to mess with the machine), but the assistant who's in charge of maintaining the machine and calling us says she's 100% sure that noone's been messing with the machine (she's quite handy, so I trust her... Somewhat).
I called Konica Minolta but they've never heard of the problem (surprised?) but they recommended that I swapped the HDD and upgraded the FW, wich I did.
They were quiet for a couple of months, but now it's happening again apparently.
I'm wondering if it's time for a main board swap or if any of you, geniuses that you are (!), have any ideas.

It frustrates me that I haven't seen the problem and that the customer is so dependant on their scanning functioning that they can't just leave it faulting until I can get there...

mo0651
06-11-2012, 03:56 PM
There are some HDD tests in service mode. But probably new HDD is needed. It will reformat and work when you power on machine.

emujo
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Have the customer check the "User Box" availablity when she notices the scan icon has dissapeared. If they still have the user boxes, I would suspect something other that the HDD as the boxes are dependant on a installed HDD. Emujo

kronical
06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I've seen this a couple times on other models in the same generation. HDD failed in all of those instances. Make sure you do a full hdd init and format and follow up with a hdd versionup. Flash of needed.

Avskrap
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Thank you all for the tips;
The first thing I did when I got to the machine the first time was to test the HDD, making sure all the functions are there. The tests in SM were all good aswell. The second time I got on site I swapped the HDD and upgraded the FW, doing all the tests and inits, with a format and a version up. Logically, IF NOT HDD -> THEN MFP board?

emujo
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank you all for the tips;
The first thing I did when I got to the machine the first time was to test the HDD, making sure all the functions are there. The tests in SM were all good aswell. The second time I got on site I swapped the HDD and upgraded the FW, doing all the tests and inits, with a format and a version up. Logically, IF NOT HDD -> THEN MFP board?

Another thing that might be causing it...is user authentication/account track enabled? If so you may have certain functions disabled. Possibly some one has access to the admin mode and is turning features off???? I still think the issue is non HDD...never seen a HDD failure on any of the newer KM products (C353 and up)...are the any codes indicating a HDD problem in the history? Emujo

Avskrap
06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
There's no authentication of any kind enabled, and noone on site is knowledgeable enough to go into admin mode and disable things. The only thing I've shown the assistant how to do is manage the scan adresses.
Why I'm going on about the HDD is because that's the only tip Konica Minolta had and I'm fresh out of ideas...

Custom Search