PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Magicolor 5550: printing b/w is there a way to block color toners ???

Custom Search

yvessr
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I am printing 90% of my documents in b/w only and although I always set this mode in the printer software setup, color toners levels are going down...
Is there a way to lock the use of the color toners ?
THANKS !

Avskrap
07-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Color toner will be used when the machine calibrates itself. This isn't something you can turn off. This doesn't spend that much toner though, but noticable after a while.
If it's spending alot of color toner, on the other hand, it could be that you're printing in "Auto color", where I've seen machines create black by mixing the colors. Use the "Grayscale" option to be sure that you're only using black.

yvessr
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
thank you for the explanation, but printing 'grayscale' is what I ALWAYS set ... nevertheless color toners are heavily used !
I read somewhere that on some laser printers the usage of these could be locked in the maintenance or service menu... so probably unfortunately no luck with the Konica-Minolta series.
Next time I buy a printer I will for sure better check the specs first !
:cool:

minimerlin
07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
thank you for the explanation, but printing 'grayscale' is what I ALWAYS set ... nevertheless color toners are heavily used !
I read somewhere that on some laser printers the usage of these could be locked in the maintenance or service menu... so probably unfortunately no luck with the Konica-Minolta series.
Next time I buy a printer I will for sure better check the specs first !
:cool:Have you checked the settings on the actual printer itself? They come as default to use combination black which means all colours to make the black! Go through the user manual settings and make sure that you select Greyscale or single black! It should also be possible to limit the number of times the unit does calibration as that also uses colour toner and of course the image units. Print out an event sheet to see what you are actually using colour for. Also a configuration sheet should give life info for consumables.

assets
10-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Yes with auto colour black is made up of all colours. It was a problem I had it layed down four colours. Also change the default print driver to B&W and let people select colour in propertes on job they need colour for. I in the other direction 90% of work is colour. But i do not pay for toner just click charge so toner cost not an issue for me.

Custom Search