PDA

View Full Version : Copier College???

Custom Search

kingpd@businessprints.net
07-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I found this interesting video. I can't say I've ever really run across a school for office equipment repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvB624I6l9s&feature=related

blackcat4866
07-13-2012, 02:41 AM
A friend of mine taught classes at a community college on generic copier repair. I'm not sure how you'd teach a class that wasn't manufacturer specific or even engine specific. It takes a couple years in the field before a greenie is competent to handle most situations. How much can you learn in a single semester? You really need some sort of internship to properly train a tech. =^..^=

TheOwl
07-16-2012, 03:10 AM
A friend of mine taught classes at a community college on generic copier repair. I'm not sure how you'd teach a class that wasn't manufacturer specific or even engine specific. It takes a couple years in the field before a greenie is competent to handle most situations. How much can you learn in a single semester? You really need some sort of internship to properly train a tech. =^..^=

Even still, knowing the theory of operation for mono and dual component engines means that you know how all copiers / printers work regardless of manufacturer. Fixing the devices is a different scenario, but everyone here should at least know how the image is written to the drum and the transfer processes.

kingpd@businessprints.net
07-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Sometimes I find myself temporarily forgetting some of the theory. I think because you get used to following the book or just replacing a unit or something instead of getting down and dirty...

...which is interesting because I knew most of the theory before I ever even touched a machine...it was quite the experience trying to go from a 2d flat diagram to the 3d world...

Even still, knowing the theory of operation for mono and dual component engines means that you know how all copiers / printers work regardless of manufacturer. Fixing the devices is a different scenario, but everyone here should at least know how the image is written to the drum and the transfer processes.

rthonpm
07-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Sounds like nothing more than what the PDI+ certification offers with a little bit of A+ thrown in.

kyoceran
07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
as most experienced techs will have learnt, it is not just the product knowledge that is needed , but also the essential understanding of how to correct things that go unexpectedly wrong, whether it be the product, customer relations or just yourself having a crap day, even being disturbed a phone cll or text can cause you to lose your way.

vincent64
07-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I think the idea is OK, it can teach green horns the basics, like this is a feed section, this is how it works, and how you service it, ect, what the clutches do, what the double feed prevent roller does, oh yes, and the 1-way bearing in the feed sections.
I find some techs still miss that one thing.

fixthecopier
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Copier College... Where the grades don't count and the training will have nothing to do with problems in the field.

Athlontini
07-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Sounds like nothing more than what the PDI+ certification offers with a little bit of A+ thrown in.

Would anybody recommend pursuing the PDI+ after they've already been sent to training by their dealer? I've been kicking the idea around in my head as a means of showing my mettle should I have to look for another job, but it's not as though I'm clueless on anything copy process-related.

DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS
08-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Honestly the video is very interesting an educative.

ddude
09-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Would anybody recommend pursuing the PDI+ after they've already been sent to training by their dealer? I've been kicking the idea around in my head as a means of showing my mettle should I have to look for another job, but it's not as though I'm clueless on anything copy process-related.

YES!!!!!!!

I recommend having any CompTIA cert under your belt if you want to move forward in this business, and for most copier techs, the PDI+ is the one cert that would be the quickest to obtain. Go to the CompTIA website and download the course study materials and look through them.... you will see that, for the average technician with two or more years experience, it is a test that most can pass.

Do this for YOURSELF- you do not know where you will end up in a year, or 2,

Then go for Network+, or A+. or CDIA+

Any training certificates, any course completions, any attaboys, should be collected and prepped for show because tomorrow is a new day-be ready.

Athlontini
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the reply - I have an A+ already (and it's grandfathered in for life), and I haven't gotten a Network+ for precisely that reason - 2010 ended before I felt ready to pass. I'm not the biggest fan of having to reaffirm my knowledge every 3 years.

I'll definitely plan on that PDI+ sometime in the future.

Custom Search