PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Card Reader

Custom Search

jarwil
08-23-2012, 12:06 AM
We are trying to connect a Magnetic Card Reader to a C280. When the USB is connected a icon displays down bottom of C280 control panel showing USB and a red cross through it.

Card reader is a Magtek and is supplied by Bear Solutions.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

blackcat4866
08-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Have you loaded the Authentication Firmware? Have you enable the option?

It's not just plug and play. =^..^=

JR2ALTA
08-23-2012, 12:30 AM
It's not just plug and play. =^..^= not....even...close

jarwil
08-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Have you loaded the Authentication Firmware? Have you enable the option?

It's not just plug and play. =^..^=

Thanks for that. Will get in touch with Konica Dealer

JR2ALTA
08-23-2012, 03:46 AM
Thanks for that. Will get in touch with Konica Dealer Good luck, I think our customer spend like $10,000 getting Konica IT to spend three days setting up PageScope Enterprise, licensing, synching it up with their SQL server and Active Directory.

jarwil
08-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Good luck, I think our customer spend like $10,000 getting Konica IT to spend three days setting up PageScope Enterprise, licensing, synching it up with their SQL server and Active Directory.

We have Pagescope setup at the main office, but this is for the Library for Public printing. Only printing to one C280. 2 different systems.

Shadow
08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
have you installed the loadable driver on to the C280 for the card reader?
if you don't have the driver loaded the card reader is just there for decoration.
don't forget to do the firmware updates and any special firmwares as well.

TheOwl
08-23-2012, 06:39 AM
I might get shouted at for saying this, but geting devices such as Barcode Readers and Mag Stripe Readers is actually quite easy.

The first hurdle you need to cross is finding a device that emulates a keyboard that the device understands. Mostly, you will find this is easier with USB v1 devices as compared to USB v2 or v3 devices.

Once the copier understands the device, you would then need to setup the machine for the Authentication. With Barcodes and Mag cards, I would suggest that you enable Account Track with Password Only. Either that or you can use PaperCut or PSES.

Now the major difference to remember is that the unsupported card / barcode readers won't work like the supported HID / Mifare etc card readers in that you just swipe and you will be logged in. You might be required to press 'ID' on the panel, swipe the card, press ok and then press login. With a barcode reader, you can program it to enter in a CR (carriage return) after reading a barcode which eliminates the need to press ok after the ID code has been entered.

When I was trying to find a reader that worked for one of my customers, I got in contact with a local company the dealt with the readers and got them to loan me a few so I could test with the machine. The thing here to remember is that just because it is a USB device, doesn't mean it is going to work with the copier.

Oh... And before anyone says you have to have the Loadable Device Driver installed, you don't unless you are using one of the particular devices that are covered by the Loadable Device Driver.

TheOwl
08-23-2012, 06:50 AM
Good luck, I think our customer spend like $10,000 getting Konica IT to spend three days setting up PageScope Enterprise, licensing, synching it up with their SQL server and Active Directory.

PSES uses SQL to store the copy/print/scan/fax logs among other things. SQL Server Express is free to download and use, but if your customer has a licenced SQL server already, then you can either push the PSES database into that or you can create another SQL Instance which basically creates another SQL server for connection.

PSES also quite easily intergrates with Active Directory, LDAP and I think Novell from memory as well. All that needs to be done is for you to tell PSES which server is the DC / Directory Server or using the FQDN which can check in with any DC within the network and import users.

You don't have to use PSES or PaperCut in conjunction with authentication devices, but they do make the use of the devices easier.

jarwil
08-24-2012, 07:35 AM
The Magnetic Card Reader is supplied from Bear Solutions but provide they no support for it.

Konica have advised our dealer that Bear devices are usually connected to the vendor port in the back of the machine. Then you would set the machine to Vender 2 mode (in service mode), and that's basically it. I'm thinking the Vendor port is not a USB port like the card reader plugs into. I used to work for the Konica Dealer so know a bit about copiers. But never had set up a card reader before. Seem to be getting no help from anyone.

Custom Search