PDA

View Full Version : c650 Shadow when duplexing.

Custom Search

Synaux
08-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi all,
Just looking for some ideas here. My associate feels the shadowing is the transfer roller…I am not so sure…
(Apologies for the crappy photo—the shadowing looks worse in person and I don't know how to make it bigger, but the original file size is sufficient--try bringing it into a image editing program.)

It only does this when duplexing on both prints and copies and on color and mono.

Occurs with thick 1/2 and plain paper on the first side only; it does not do it on thick 3 (…most of the time).

Also, if we put plain paper in a tray and trick it to print as thick 3 it still does it.

I find it strange that the issue will not happen on that same tray when actually using 100lb cover stock.

Toner will not scratch off.

I cleaned the ph windows, etc. I inspected the drums, fixing unit, etc--everything appears to be in working order.

To me it would be logical to rule out mechanical items such as the fuser, tranf belt/cleaning blade, and drums, because it is not happening one-sided prints/scans...only when duplexing.

For software settings, I played around with the fuser speed, fuser temp and pressure. Nothing really helped. I am pretty sure that there are no settings for duxplex temp/pressure...

Looking forward to any suggestions. :)

JustManuals
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

Synaux
08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

Paul, I have more documentation than I care to have for this machine (like all of it).
Unfortunately, none of it seems to be tackle this particular issue.

Thanks though! :)

mo0651
08-28-2012, 09:43 PM
How many copies on the transfer rollers and fuser?

Synaux
08-29-2012, 12:45 AM
How many copies on the transfer rollers and fuser? Unter Counter/Data/Life it shows: Transfer Roller:89,039 Fuser: 89,004 Image Transfer Belt Unit has 400k (so its getting close--max is 550k)

907tec
08-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Have you done a stop-test? Should be pretty easy to narrow down where it's happening that way.

Spratt
08-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi there,
Have you tried the guide sheet on the conveyance section?
It's a little hard to see on your sample but it could be the cause of your problem, even if you have one on they have been known to wear and need replacement. I've attached a parts page to help point out what i mean.
Hope this helps
Brian17015

minimerlin
08-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Try increasing the 2nd transfer voltage ..if the fault clears then the cause is the sheet as mentioned above!

Zeldaman
08-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi there!
Same problem on 2 machines at 1 customer. He has to use printed paper, and the transferroller is dying at ca. 60-70000 prints. Looks the same as your sample, tried to clean it with white spirit, but after 3 days the problem was the same. Changed the roller-OK!
Greetings...:cool:

Synaux
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Try increasing the 2nd transfer voltage ..if the fault clears then the cause is the sheet as mentioned above!

Tried adding +3 steps to the Secondary Transfer Adjustment for side 2 and then side 1 with no effect.

However, playing with the Primary Transfer Adjustment for the Black (now at +7 steps) drastically lightened the shadowing; although it is still there.

I guess paying $13.95 to precision roller for the "a00h 7034 00 guide sheet" isn't too bad to fix this...although I am not entirely sure where it goes. Results for A00H (http://www.precisionroller.com/search.php?q=a00h&x=0&y=0)

In this post (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/35086-c-550-background-problem-urgent.html) JSC states: "I've had a few of these machines give faults like the one you have and its been caused by static building up on the guide plate especially with thicker paper."

If it is a static issue, I would assume there would be low-tech solutions (maybe electrical tape on the guide plate or something)?

(Interestingly, in my Konica parts catalog for the 650 the a00h 7034 00.)

Synaux
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi there!
Same problem on 2 machines at 1 customer. He has to use printed paper, and the transferroller is dying at ca. 60-70000 prints. Looks the same as your sample, tried to clean it with white spirit, but after 3 days the problem was the same. Changed the roller-OK!
Greetings...:cool:

If the guide sheet does not help I will replace the transfer roller.

Whats this white spirit?
I'm not too sure I am feeling up to molesting this machine :p

Thanks!

acusso1234
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
If the guide sheet does not help I will replace the transfer roller.

Whats this white spirit?
I'm not too sure I am feeling up to molesting this machine :p

Thanks!

It is gin :D or hisopropilic alcool

Synaux
08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
It is gin :D or hisopropilic alcool

Are you speaking French? :o

minimerlin
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Tried adding +3 steps to the Secondary Transfer Adjustment for side 2 and then side 1 with no effect.

However, playing with the Primary Transfer Adjustment for the Black (now at +7 steps) drastically lightened the shadowing; although it is still there.

I guess paying $13.95 to precision roller for the "a00h 7034 00 guide sheet" isn't too bad to fix this...although I am not entirely sure where it goes. Results for A00H (http://www.precisionroller.com/search.php?q=a00h&x=0&y=0)

In this post (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/35086-c-550-background-problem-urgent.html) JSC states: "I've had a few of these machines give faults like the one you have and its been caused by static building up on the guide plate especially with thicker paper."

If it is a static issue, I would assume there would be low-tech solutions (maybe electrical tape on the guide plate or something)?

(Interestingly, in my Konica parts catalog for the 650 the a00h 7034 00.)Yep you can use tape...just shape it and fit it like the actual sheet. I take it that your machine does not have this sheet fitted at all than. I do not recommend messing with the 1st transfer unless you know the fault shows up on the belt when you do a machine stop?

Synaux
08-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Yep you can use tape...just shape it and fit it like the actual sheet. I take it that your machine does not have this sheet fitted at all than. I do not recommend messing with the 1st transfer unless you know the fault shows up on the belt when you do a machine stop?

Yes, there is no sheet fitted at all.
Seeing how this the case, I do not have a template so I think simply buying one is the best thing to do.
I did try putting normal mailing labels on the guide and it eliminated about half of the shadowing (scared of them getting sucked up into the fuser section or something though lol)

I tend to assume that such values are best left untouched as a rule, but what might happen if the 1st transfer was set to 7 (the highest value) for a long period of time?
Just Curious

I assume by machine stop you mean tripping a switch while the machine is in run to see the transfer belt before it cleans up.
If so, I do not see it on the transfer belt. I do however notice a haze that reminded me of one of those magnetic drawing toys from grade school.

Tomorrow I will order the sheet and update this post after I install it.

Aside from learning, one good thing about this whole experience is that I started looking for parts in a fit of pessimism and found a new fuser section for this box on ebay for a mere ~$150.00 buy-it-now!
Gotta love ebay!

Synaux
09-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I got the mod in today and it worked like a champ!

Thanks everyone.

Custom Search