PDA

View Full Version : konical minolta di351 printer and 3502 print controller parallel port

Custom Search

DrewFromNC
08-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi All:

In one department at my workplace, there is an old KM Di351 copier that works fine for all of its copying functions.

Until recently, this machine would also be used occasionally as a network printer.

I have tested and am sure that this functionality has been lost due to the common issue of the NIC dieing in the 3502 controller.

My understanding is that while it is very common for the NIC in the controller to fail, it is very rare for the controller itself to fail.

So, what I have done is just to disconnect the network cable from this card altogether while leaving the card in the controller.

I still have the copier and the controller connected via the engine interface cable. This connection is to the Centronics type connector on the copier and to the leftmost connector on the controller (left most if you are facing the rear of the controller where the connectors are.)

I then connected the rightmost connector (mini Centronics 36 pin) to a Windows XP machine in the same room that has a standard parallel port.

When I went to the XP box and installed a printer and told Windows to automatically detect the plug and play printer, it detected the presence of the new printer and I supplied the PI3502 drivers.

So, it would seem that the connections and the controller are okay (maybe not?) if Windows detected the presence of the Di351. However, when a Windows test page is sent to the printer, it just times out and fails after a couple of minutes. The job list on the copier never seems to show any kind of print job.

I am thinking that perhaps I need to physically remove the bad network card from the copier in order for the controller to allow the parallel port to become active. Anyone know if that's true?

If I can get the copier to work with this computer via parallel port, I can then just share it and this will be close enough to a networked printer without worrying about trying to obtain a NIC that would likely just fail again.

From what I've read and what I've seen, it sounds like and appears that it is rare for the controller to fail. Is there anything I need to do other than physically remove the bad NIC to get the parallel port going? Or could the controller possibly be bad altogether? Any way to test?

I haven't checked out the controller yet but looks like the top of it will come off with three or four screws and then the network card will just pop right out. Of course, the unit should be powered off completely before doing this.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Again, if I can just get this old copier working as a parallel printer again, that will be more than sufficient!

Thanks!
Drew

Custom Search