PDA

View Full Version : bizhub c360 can not scan

Custom Search

brent
09-07-2012, 05:05 AM
customer called andstated they can not scan. physically they are scanning. but it never hits their inbox in the computer. it was set up and working perfectly for about 5 months. so the (computer guy) came out and checked out the mail server. and they can email and other applications. but can not scan. he told them it was the device. any thoughts on what I can check out? I am meeting the computer network guy there tomorrow and we are both going to look at it. by the way. they had a domain name (go daddy dot com) which did not work with this server/ machine. so they have a different mail server. controlled from another location. but I was insured it was working properly. anyways I am going to go and check it out. and see what I can see. thought I would ask for a little advice. thanks for all..

brent

kingarthur
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
1st thing i'd do is check the scan history, if it says "completed" after each job, then its not the m/c it's on their network....just like it is 99% of the time.

EarthKmTech
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I have experienced in the past when a corporate mail server is remotely accessed via a VPN the MTU size becomes too large for each attachment data packet transmitted from the mfp to the mail server, resulting in dropped packets never being acknowledged by the receiving end. The first attachment packet usually makes it through as its almost always smaller and every packet after that gets stuck in a continuous loop of re-transmission attempts until the mfp times out the connection.

Unfortunately, the MTU size cannot be changed on the device if this is the case.

Packet capturing will be required to determine if this is the issue.

In such cases, I simply use the internet service providers smtp server (as its bloody well going over the internet to get where it needs to go either way, so who cares)

If its a local smtp server on their local network, i would as i always do, send a test email using telnet to connect to port 25 of the mail server, pretend to be the copier and send an email.

groovy
09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
What about sending files via ftp protocol?
1. It is OS indipendent
2. It is more easier to diagnose
3. It is more fast

habik
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Set your self gmail account as a testing point and see if it works using smtp.gmail.com port465 full authentication required. user your email and password for your gmail acc. domain googlemail.com tada :)

habik
09-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Forgot to add...is it not just going in the Junk box by any chance?? seems simple yet a thing which can be overlooked especially if was working before for months :) just a thought.

emujo
09-07-2012, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=groovy;310453

3. It is more fast[/QUOTE]

I"ve had more calls for FTP scanning issues then anything else...IP address changes, FTP utility not working...and so on..And yes I know about host name versus ip, but I never, never set this up so I'm not the tech causing the headaches..."more fast"????

groovy
09-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I"ve had more calls for FTP scanning issues then anything else...IP address changes, FTP utility not working...and so on..And yes I know about host name versus ip, but I never, never set this up so I'm not the tech causing the headaches..."more fast"????

If you have a REAL server in your network or a NAS, its IP cannot change.
A mail server changes everyday (black/white listing, spam filters, updates and so on)
When i'm asked to setup the scan, i talk to my customer to give me a computer outside the dhcp range (in other words, a machine with static IP), in 2 minutes i install Xlight FTP server with basic configuration, i set the mfp to scan to ftp to the machine, and it works, every time.
If your customer cannot network a computer with static IP, there is always the choice to setup a DCHP reservation so the ftp server can obtain every time the same IP, it's a 30-sec job.
My first scan-to-ftp installation was 6 years ago and it is still running.

brent
09-08-2012, 05:32 PM
so I s howed up at the customers location. they told me at like 500 all the emails just started coming though. it was fine. so we did a little investigating and we were convinced it was on the server side. I went into scan history. and it showed all scans were fine. of course. it is always the copiers fault eh?

thanks for your help guys's it is working now. instead of using a mail server. were thinking of using an ftp scanning that way it stays more internal rather then an off site mail server

brent

Custom Search