PDA

View Full Version : Glad CTN is working. Terrorist took down Godaddy and all my websites and services!

Custom Search

kingpd@businessprints.net
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Apparently someone attacked Godaddy's servers which caused ALL of godaddy products to become unavailable, including godaddy's main site.

Wondering if anyone else is affected.

All my websites, e-commerce site, and email is down.

I blame Godaddy to a point...as big as they are they should pay top dollar for the best people to ensure this doesn't happen and should have diversification and redundancy...apparently all of their stuff is on one server or the terrorist is good at what he/she does.

Millions or more people and businesses are affected and this is going to be expensive...I know today I've lost thousands of dollars in business...

I don't normally like to fight terrorism with anger and hate...but a person that does this kind of thing to small companies like myself is truly a terrorist and the governments of the world need to find him...even if he/she is a little kid...

...then they need to on public television chop off both of the person's hands...then a few weeks later put a bullet in their heads...

...only then will people stop doing these online acts of terrorism...

sorry, this isn't very christ-like of me but this crap is ridiculous...and although I hate godaddy...truthfully it could have happened to anybody.

Ctl-Alt-Del
09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
It's Obama's fault :p

Go Daddy says it was an internal problem and not a hacking but I guess admitting to being hackable is worse that a hardware failure so who really knows?
GoDaddy Says Anonymous Hack NOT To Blame For 5 Million Websites Going Dark (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/godaddy-anonymous-hack_n_1874210.html)

Akitu
09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
To call it terrorism is a bit of an overstatement. Delinquency seems more adequate of a term.

To call it terrorism implies there was a group at hand with the interest of causing mass chaos and panic and destruction etc et al.
Delinquency is just some douche bag with a lot of time on his hands who figured out something like cross site scripting or how to set up a bot net for a DDoS attack.

Granted this wasn't quite as simple (hopefully), it's by no means an act of terrorism. Simple cyber crime really... Hopefully they didn't get access to anyone's information.

For someone to shut down GoDaddy and all 5 million websites of theirs would require some serious skill, as a database that large would surely be protected with top notch security, a crash seems the most plausible excuse.

As for the "random Twitter feed claiming to be associated with Anonymous", that's just some douche nozzle trying to take credit for something he didn't even do. Anonymous aren't the types to go flaunting about for any random crash unless it's a targeted attack (Vatican online database, RIAA/MPAA) usually it's pretty big scale too, and not something as simple as just DDoSing them down.

GoDaddy crashed, it sucks for those who lost business, but it's nothing more than an error on GoDaddy's part.

JustManuals
09-11-2012, 10:43 PM
GoDaddy sucks anyhow. Of course their going to say it was an internal problem. The crashed my sites last year and no matter what they did they couldn't restore them. I moved to another host and as my domain names (41) come up for renewal, I'm moving them off of Godaddy. FE!

KenB
09-12-2012, 01:45 AM
GoDaddy sucks anyhow. Of course their going to say it was an internal problem. The crashed my sites last year and no matter what they did they couldn't restore them. I moved to another host and as my domain names (41) come up for renewal, I'm moving them off of Godaddy. FE!I have several accounts who use them - nothing but issues.I have personally dealt with their tech support - what a waste of time.

09-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't think calling it terrorism is an overstatement. I think the problem is people aren't seeing it as terrorism; when the truth is, online crimes like this are going to be the new avenues for terrorism...even if it is just one person.

We'll consider moving from godaddy in the future...unfortunately right now we've got too much stuff prepaid for, etc. But trust me, we are looking at other companies and even considering doing our own in house hosting.

I've gotten some suggestions already but has anyone ever thought about using a company, called rackspace I think? I think they just house the servers for you so you're on your own with software and stuff, but I heard they're good at what they do.

JR2ALTA
09-12-2012, 02:26 AM
I don't think calling it terrorism is an overstatement. I think the problem is people aren't seeing it as terrorism; when the truth is, online crimes like this are going to be the new avenues for terrorism...even if it is just one person.

We'll consider moving from godaddy in the future...unfortunately right now we've got too much stuff prepaid for, etc. But trust me, we are looking at other companies and even considering doing our own in house hosting.

I've gotten some suggestions already but has anyone ever thought about using a company, called rackspace I think? I think they just house the servers for you so you're on your own with software and stuff, but I heard they're good at what they do.

Cyber crime is serious, it can cripple business, identity theft is rampant and even our military installations are on watch.

But, on 9/11 no one wants to hear about your damn website being knocked offline by "terrorists".

09-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Ah yes 9/11...I thought there was an eery feeling today...the day kind of sneaks up on you...

Aneurysm
09-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Go Daddy sucks, If anyone is looking for hosting please let me know and I will get you a referral to our host. if you sign up through our link we benefit as well.

For the record, since migrating Copytechnet to our new server we have been online for 50 days, 8 hours and 2 minutes without a crash, lockup, or loss of data which is way better than Go Daddy can say.

Akitu
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Blowing it up with exaggeration is different than blowing yourself up in the name of an invisible friend and lots and lots of bad sex.

09-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmm...I hope the people "protecting" society have a different opinion...

...back when I used to work in government I dealt with utility companies, in particular...power companies...

It would be difficult and tricky, but theoretically possible for one person with a computer to shut down a power exchange grid (a semi-central power exchange facility) used by member power companies to transport power from major regions across the country. Think of them as a facilitator of supply and demand for all power. If one of those shut down, all power in a third of the USA or greater would be cut off...that's pretty significant.

Or, theoretically one person with one computer could shut down the computers that monitor and control the cooling systems in a nuclear reactor power plant that could cause a meltdown and kill or permanently harm everyone in a 60 mile or greater radius and pollute the area for decades...

Blowing it up with exaggeration is different than blowing yourself up in the name of an invisible friend and lots and lots of bad sex.

09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion but just because something happened a few years ago and a few people are sensitive over it doesn't mean I'm going to shut up and hide the fact that these new "cyber-terrorists" are actually terrorists.

So speak for yourself...

You may want to do some research into some of the cool new developments in aircraft technology...if "9/11" had happened at some point in the not too distant future; the terrorists probably wouldn't have even needed to be on the plane. They could have most likely "hijacked" it via a remote computer in the comfort of their own little hideaway in their pajamas.

Cyber crime is serious, it can cripple business, identity theft is rampant and even our military installations are on watch.

But, on 9/11 no one wants to hear about your damn website being knocked offline by "terrorists".

mjarbar
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
From what i have read the GoDaddy problem wasn't a DoS attack which for those amount of site would have been a huge undertaking but a DNS attack which was much easier as GoDaddy only have a few DNS addreses with which to work with.

Akitu
09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Hmm...I hope the people "protecting" society have a different opinion...

...back when I used to work in government I dealt with utility companies, in particular...power companies...

It would be difficult and tricky, but theoretically possible for one person with a computer to shut down a power exchange grid (a semi-central power exchange facility) used by member power companies to transport power from major regions across the country. Think of them as a facilitator of supply and demand for all power. If one of those shut down, all power in a third of the USA or greater would be cut off...that's pretty significant.

Or, theoretically one person with one computer could shut down the computers that monitor and control the cooling systems in a nuclear reactor power plant that could cause a meltdown and kill or permanently harm everyone in a 60 mile or greater radius and pollute the area for decades...

It's happened before, a disgruntled IT employee leaving a back door open in the network and using it to hold the company hostage. Nothing new in this sense.
As I said, terrorism would imply a purpose, this was just some angry douche nozzle who wanted to get back at GoDaddy for their crappy service, and repeat attacks rather than a 1 off incident, or maybe GoDaddy just had a small network problem like they said.

Ctl-Alt-Del
09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
since migrating Copytechnet to our new server we have been online for 50 days, 8 hours and 2 minutes without a crash, lockup, or loss of data which is way better than Go Daddy can say.

That is much better than back in July when the site wouldn't stay up for more than 2 hours, 8 minutes, and 50 seconds. ;)

09-13-2012, 06:25 AM
I think I did see a documentary on that back door thing...it is a little unnerving. But then again I'm about 30 miles from three mile island so that's always in the back of my mind.

For the benefit of those too young to remember or outside the USA:

Three Mile Island accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident)

--------------

CTN has been very nice and stable. To Aneyeurism...I got the PM and we may put our blog and vbulletin stuff eventually on that provider...we're not ready yet...do we have to just mention CTN or actually click a link or something else so you get credit for the referral?

Custom Search