PDA

View Full Version : Broken drumshaft BH-BW-200, 250, 350 series

Custom Search

Hansoon
09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Broken drumshaft BH-BW-200, 250, 350 series.

Collegues where asking for a solution in case the plastic drumshaft of the BH-BW-200, 250, 350 series breaks. We use an axle screw M5x16mm. See picture:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/drumshaftmoddibhxxx.jpg)

Cut off the remaining parts of the plastic shaft. Widen the hole with a 4.5mm drill and just screw the axle screw in place. If necessary can the axle screw be secured with a drop of miracle glue applied in the hole from the other side of the plastic. Put a very light film of grease on the axle screw metal where the drum rides on.

Hans

Synaux
09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Broken drumshaft BH-BW-200, 250, 350 series.

Collegues where asking for a solution in case the plastic drumshaft of the BH-BW-200, 250, 350 series breaks. We use an axle screw M5x16mm. See picture:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/drumshaftmoddibhxxx.jpg)

Cut off the remaining parts of the plastic shaft. Widen the hole with a 4.5mm drill and just screw the axle screw in place. If necessary can the axle screw be locked with a drop of miracle glue applied in the hole from the other side of the plastic. Put a very light film of grease on the axle screw metal where the drum rides on.

Hans

Sounds like you already have a good solution...?
My initial thought though is that you might have problems getting it to set straight if you bore out a wider hole...

Hansoon
09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you already have a good solution...?
My initial thought though is that you might have problems getting it to set straight if you bore out a wider hole...

We are doing it this way since more than two years and modifying every Image Unit with it.

The hole of 4.5mm allows the 5mm thread of the screw to dig into the plastic. One might secure it with miracle glue from the back but not really necessary. Had no problems yet that the screw wasn't straight or came out.

Hans

blackcat4866
09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice work Hans. Do you have a parts number or source for this threaded post? =^..^=

Hansoon
09-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Cat, they are not KonicaMinolta parts but general hardware stuff. I bought them over the Internet. They're called Axle Screw M5x16mm. They cost around 1.0 USD per piece.

I can send them to you if you want. Just drop me a mail touchpanel[at]rex-technika.com

Hans

Copyjaya
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
the broken shaft really bring me trouble.. i look for a smaller screw to screw back the shaft with the housing , but result not so good ..

Hansoon
09-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Hans

Darren King
09-25-2012, 02:11 PM
To me, if the drum unit has been rebuilt so many times that the drum shaft has broken off it may be time to buy a new drum unit. Sure, I McGuyver things when needed, but, I know when to say uncle.Lol
Darren

Hansoon
09-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Darren, sometimes the shaft breaks already before the unit reaches its first rebuild cycle. There seem to be charges which fail much earlier than others. With the previous Di-xxx series with an almost identical construction we never had this problem (worn shafts yes, but not broken) but the Bizhub's B&W series are much more prone to this broken drumshaft problem.

Ofcourse when I would work for a large company, where costs are seemingly not so much in the foreground, I would change the unit too instead of repairing. However, I'm an Indy fighting the big boys and I have to look carefully to reduce our costs.

Hans

Darren King
09-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Hmmm. I have rebuilt hundreds of these drum units and never have a drum shaft break. (maybe just lucky). I didn't realize it was a problem. I appologize if I insulted you Hans it wasn't intended.
Darren

Hansoon
09-25-2012, 07:08 PM
I appologize if I insulted you Hans it wasn't intended.

No offense taken Darren, not at all! :cool:

I'm glad when somebody enriches a discussion with his views. This makes a thread much more valuable for everybody.

Thanks for participating.

Hans

Custom Search