PDA

View Full Version : Fuser roller melted on C253

Custom Search

c_merengo
09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone might offer some helpful advice about a C253 I'm working on at the moment. One of the rollers in the fuser unit seems to have melted; the rubber is twisted and blistered. The other looks fine.

(First, and most embarrassing question: the melted roller is the outer-most one. Is this the heat or pressure roller?).

Obviously the immediate solution is to replace the fuser unit (unless by some lucky chance I can get my hands on a replacement roller, and swap it, but I gather that's a little tricky).

But unless I can understand how this happened there's a worrying possibility that the same thing could simply happen with the new unit.

Is this likely to be a temperature issue, or is it a normal wear and tear scenario?

(Or perhaps another possibility, like an object somehow finding its way into the fuser unit, or the customer using particularly thick card? Those seem unlikely but worth mentioning for completeness).

Notes on the temperature theory:
I've checked the Fuser Temperature settings and they were set to the default values. The error codes for abnormally high fusing temperatures weren't triggered. The machine is able to detect the temperature of both heat and pressure rollers in the fuser unit - can anyone tell me what would constitute a normal temperature value for these? Or at what temperature the rubber would melt? At the moment the heater roller rises from 200C up to 215C and then drops back to 200C, and cycles like that. The pressure roller rises gradually, and had got to 120C after a minute or two, at which point I decided to turn the machine off.

Notes on the wear and tear theory:
We bought this machine second-hand so it's possible the fuser unit has seen a lot of use and been reset rather than replaced. The problem did become apparent in a very short space of time but perhaps it's a gradual wear that suddenly worsens?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Darren King
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I am going with the wear and tear theory. I have had fusers from these machines where the pressure roller simply fell apart.
Big chunks of rubbers sitting on the customers desk when I got there, and asking if they are important.
The failures have occured after re-fusing. I haven't had one fail prematurely. (knock on wood)
Darren

JustManuals
09-26-2012, 05:54 PM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

EarthKmTech
09-26-2012, 10:28 PM
there is special firmware available, atleast in my 240v region to prevent the fuser rollers falling apart. But I've never used it.

however, I've only seen the issue on machines with excessive power save timeouts.

Once ive changed the fuser and set the power save settings to something a little less ridiculous its never come back anyway. As always, ensure the machine has the latest firmware regardless.

blackcat4866
09-26-2012, 11:52 PM
I am going with the wear and tear theory. I have had fusers from these machines where the pressure roller simply fell apart.
Big chunks of rubbers sitting on the customers desk when I got there, and asking if they are important.
The failures have occured after re-fusing. I haven't had one fail prematurely. (knock on wood)
Darren

Same as Darren. I have seen one twisted up like a barber pole. I assumed that the red rubber of the pressure roller separated from the core, then started winding itself up. I just replaced the fuser and it's been fine. =^..^=

Custom Search