PDA

View Full Version : I guess I make a mistake...c650

Custom Search

Synaux
10-05-2012, 02:42 AM
I was messing around with the controllers in service mode for a c650.
I changed the controller in system 2 to 0 from one (a vain attempt to try using Emperon).
I tried printing with no success (even though the data light would blink for 10 min on a 216k file).
Anyways, after fiddling with it for ~30min I think to myself: screw this--time to go back to settings that I know work at least 65% of the time (ha...ha...).
So I go back to service mode and the entire controller option is gone in system 2.

¡wtf?

I tried power cycling and unplugging from the wall.
I really dont feel like doing a master reset...anyone got some quick suggestions (this must be operational by tomorrow)...

Synaux
10-05-2012, 02:49 AM
I also just noticed that network settings are also not available in the copier admin settings and I cannot ping to it.

Synaux
10-05-2012, 04:27 AM
UPDATE: tried a reinitialization in service mode>system 1>initialize w/ reset
No change.

This box has been exhibiting various irregular behaviorism for months--perhaps a fw or even board replacement?
This bizarro-machine is really wearing me thin....

EarthKmTech
10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Controller choice will return after 5 - 10 minutes of the machine being on, you just aren't waiting long enough.

I've had this concern before, and its unfounded.

PS, slow printing is almost always network related. Have you tried printing directly from a laptop to the machine ?

Synaux
10-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Controller choice will return after 5 - 10 minutes of the machine being on, you just aren't waiting long enough.

PS, slow printing is almost always network related. Have you tried printing directly from a laptop to the machine ?

First, I just noticed my little typo in the title--heh

I have waited much more than 10 minutes several times and I have no suspicions against the current network setup--its nice and speedy.
Things I have done thus far to the IC-409:

1) Changed hard drive (because the OS refused to re-install on the old one). And installed OS, of course. (v1.0)
2) Applied thermal paste to the CPU/Heatsink (it was running pretty hot and there was almost no paste on it).
3) Modded the hell out of the case with a 120mm fan and replaced the 80mm fan with a high speed fan.
4) Ran memtest86 from the Fiery itself--4 passes--no errors.
5) Checked installed HD for bad sectors--no errors.
Also ran some other holistic diagnostic programs with no errors.
6) Checked the voltages of the PSU (without a load test) with satisfactory results
7) Reset CMOS after all this and still get FF code.
So I basically eliminated nearly all basic hardware concerns for the computer (the Fiery) that I can think of...aside from the possibility of corrupt BIOS...

And unless my software discs are corrupt themselves, I find it unlikely that the software would install improperly 4 times in a row.

Any Ideas???

As far as the MFP itself...I have no idea what to do.
Network settings in administrator settings does not even exist nor does the controller options show in service mode.
I am in the process of inspecting and ISO-bathing the relevant boards; however, I doubt that will change much.
See pictures....Perhaps firmware is the culprit for the MFP???

Of course, I find it exceedingly strange that both items would malfunction at the same time...(!)

EarthKmTech
10-06-2012, 02:43 AM
I've had IC-409's that are just lemons, a thousand reloads and replacement of everything not fix them.

Just like other computers the motherboards just become flaky eventually, the fiery motherboard is no exception. In these cases I have written them off and replaced them entirely as the spare parts cost more than its worth.

As to loosing controler choice, I've NFI what your going to do. I've always had it come back after a period of time after an incorrect choice. You may have no choice but to perform a data clear.

Synaux
10-06-2012, 03:20 AM
I've had IC-409's that are just lemons, a thousand reloads and replacement of everything not fix them.

Just like other computers the motherboards just become flaky eventually, the fiery motherboard is no exception. In these cases I have written them off and replaced them entirely as the spare parts cost more than its worth.

As to loosing controler choice, I've NFI what your going to do. I've always had it come back after a period of time after an incorrect choice. You may have no choice but to perform a data clear.

Yea...if there is anything bad on this Fiery I would suspect the BIOS which is basically the Mobo--probably cost prohibitive to replace.

Tomorrow I will probably try using a 400 watt PSU externally just to make sure and replace the sata cord--other than that I am flat out of ideas.
(Unless someone has a flash utility and bios for these motherboards?)

What exactly do you mean be "perform a data clear," I certainly might have to do this.

As a side, I got a BIG scare when I put all those Lego pieces (circuit boards) back in place. The copier would start with nearly all the LEDs solid and not do anything else. I reset the boards and all was normal. whew :p

Synaux
10-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Another thing that just occurred to me is that the 409 shows FF, but all these diagnostic programs reported not one error with FF on the display. What a silly computer.

Synaux
10-06-2012, 04:35 AM
EarthKmTech (http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/earthkmtech.html),
Oh, by data clear you are referring to Service Mode > System 1 > Initialization > Data Clear?

I did that something like 4 times already--I even did System Error Clear--after all nothing else has worked so far.

minimerlin
10-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Have had a case where the Fiery would give the FF code at switch on. If the unit was shut down at the wall socket for a few minutes then the fiery power swithed on sometimes it would work....or you had to just try the cycling of power until it did! KM advice was not to shut down the Fiery!

Mr Spock
10-07-2012, 12:01 AM
There is one thing FF could mean and it is a "simple" fix.
This can mean that the date and time are off or out of sync with the MFP.
EFI (they make the fiery's) came out with a patch to fix this. what you do is load patch then shutdown.
Next you remove the cmos battery from the fiery and leave it out.
turn on machine and fiery and give it 10-20 minutes to come to ready and check lights.
The patch tells fiery to get date and time from the connected MFP.
Otherwise if it works just ignore it. I have several that show that and work fine.

as to the controller not showing up you can try the following.
power down machine and fiery and unplug from wall.
remove all lan lines and connectors between the fiery and copier.
remove fiery from machine.
plug in machine and power on.
check service mode to see if controller option is there
if so then select 0 and power down.
reattach the fiery (after power of and unplug)
power on and check machine settings.
You may need to reconfigure machine and fiery but it also may help recover both.
I had to do this to have machine recognize the fiery once.

Synaux
10-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Have had a case where the Fiery would give the FF code at switch on. If the unit was shut down at the wall socket for a few minutes then the fiery power swithed on sometimes it would work....or you had to just try the cycling of power until it did! KM advice was not to shut down the Fiery!

Wow thats kind of shoddy support from KM.
"Well once you get it working don't touch it ever again! And if the power goes out you are screwed" ...lol
If you have had them working with a FF code, then I will not focus on the Fiery until I can get the MFP to behave.

Synaux
10-07-2012, 05:17 AM
There is one thing FF could mean and it is a "simple" fix.
This can mean that the date and time are off or out of sync with the MFP.
EFI (they make the fiery's) came out with a patch to fix this. what you do is load patch then shutdown.
Next you remove the cmos battery from the fiery and leave it out.
turn on machine and fiery and give it 10-20 minutes to come to ready and check lights.
The patch tells fiery to get date and time from the connected MFP.
Otherwise if it works just ignore it. I have several that show that and work fine.

Interesting. Although I cannot even get into the Fiery to manually change the date (but might be able to in BIOS--I will check)

Unfortunately, I do not have an account with Konica or EFI, so I cannot download patches, firmware, or operating systems (Fiery). :confused:

as to the controller not showing up you can try the following.
power down machine and fiery and unplug from wall.
remove all lan lines and connectors between the fiery and copier.
remove fiery from machine.
plug in machine and power on.
check service mode to see if controller option is there
if so then select 0 and power down.
reattach the fiery (after power of and unplug)
power on and check machine settings.
You may need to reconfigure machine and fiery but it also may help recover both.
I had to do this to have machine recognize the fiery once.

Yea I have done all this, but I will try it all again. Its been a few days now with quite a few cold starts without the controller option appearing....
I have been in the computer business for over 12 years and there is one thing I have observed: computers are often unpredictable. And of course, any digital copier controller is a weak and proprietary computer.

If the MFP does not capitulate soon I am currently leaning to a firmware update--although acquiring this software is a difficult thing for The Professional End User Tech Guy...

Synaux
10-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Another update:
I managed to get the Fiery to display 00.
I took the entire thing apart (and I mean everything); then, I gave it all a nice little ISO bath.
Put it all back together reinstalled the OS (again).

And unless I missed something there is no way to manually set the date in BIOS for the IC-409

The only thing weird thing is now the soft switch will not turn the Fiery off...it only restarts it after the switch has been released (even if I hold it down for 10 min). I tried changing the switch with the same results.

As for the MFP, I disconnected everything from it (and it had no power overnight).
Booted up and the options were still not present. Did a data clear and restarted it. Still nothing.
I performed a data clear again (why not) shutdown the MFP and connected the Fiery & Ethernet cables and turned everything on with no change at all.

Custom Search