PDA

View Full Version : scan to smb same file name replaces earlier file?

Custom Search

cap0319
10-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I've seen this with the c252 and c284 now. wtf?

Any ideas appreciated.

Darren King
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Huh?

cap0319
10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Huh?

Ok, you're scanning to a pc folder, you give the file a name such as "test", then, you do another scan and give the file the same name "test". The 2nd file replaces the 1st.

U would think windows would show : test.pdf(1) & test.pdf(2)
But it doesn't, only the 2nd scanned file is present.

I know, it sounds crazy, but I've seen it twice now. Just looking to see if anyone else has.

emujo
10-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Makes sense...if you use the default name, then each file would be different as the date/time would be off from scan to scan...but if you rename each doc "test" then the new "test" would overwrite..You would see a pop up on your screen if you were moving this manually, but the MFP can't interact with the folder, only write to it...But to be sure, I will test this on one of our demo MFPs and see if I get the same results. Emujo

Darren King
10-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Windows won't allow two files with the same name.
If you want them to be "test1" and "test2" you will have to call them that before you send them.
Darren

mo0651
10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Those darn computers that think logically!!!!

emujo
10-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I tested it and got the same results...but, there is a solution...KM offers special firmware that will add a 0-9 to any scanned (SMB) documents that are scanned within the same min..Your default name will now be SKMBTC360101112093501/02/03 ect until the minute increments and the process starts over again. If you're a KM tech search the knowledge base for "default scan file name" and you will see it. If you're not a KM tech you are out of luck. PS this will only work if the customer is using the default scan name. Emujo

blackcat4866
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
This same issue came up on Kyocera products. It names the resulting PDF files with a date/time stamp or sequentially, so there are never duplicate file names. We had this same issue with Virtual Mailboxes. If you send the same print job ten times and all the files have the same name each job after the first over-writes the previous. Same fix. =^..^=

LIOEEK
10-12-2012, 01:49 AM
check the date of the machine, if it doesn't change..check mfbs

Synaux
10-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Looks like you have your answers, but here are another few thoughts/workarounds:

Well it seems to me that it would be easy enough to change the file name every time, or do a batch scan if applicable.

Or you can change the names on the computer manually after each scan

Or...cut/paste into a different directory after each scan and do that "copy and keep both" or something like that.

Also, the other thing you could do if you are feeling adventurous is find/create a script to automatically do this for you every few seconds or so.

I did a quick Google Search and found this (but I am on campus and cannot test it).
This would actually be better than the patch if you are looking to do more than 10 consecutive scans at a time (that is, if I understood emujo correctly).

cap0319
10-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys, I know it's a petty problem. Just renaming the scan once it's in your folder should be good enough... but we know how some customers can be...

And I was expecting to see the (1), (2), after each file...

The fact that the copier can't interact with the folder (only write to it) is the explanation that I'm sure my customer will understand, thanks Emujo!

Custom Search