PDA

View Full Version : Scan Problems Bizhub C253

Custom Search

Dave10
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
We are having an intermittent scan problem with a C253. The IT person at the site says that the machine will be fine but suddenly , someone will try to scan and the machine will not connect. It just keeps looking for the computer till it times out. According to them, it will start with certain users, but eventually no one can scan. He cycles the power on the machine, and it's fine for up to a few days. The problem is, I have had 3 techs look at this, and can't repeat the problem. When we get there, it works fine and we can scan directly to our laptops with no problems, also. I suspect a network problem, but the IT guy says he doesn't think so and can't find a problem, and having never seen this, I don't know where to tell him to look. Any one seen this before? Any thoughts? It will be greatly appreciated as this has been going on for months.

Shadow
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
check with their IT and see if they have a network monitoring program running.
I have seen these programs do exactly what you described.
also go through and check the scan settings in user settings.

Dave10
10-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the response, but they have no monitoring program running. Settings seem okay.

JR2ALTA
10-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I would set it up to a central server and distribute subfolders accordingly. Also if the machine is plugged into a five port switch replace it.

So it's definitely a server connect error? You looked at the details right?

JustManuals
10-25-2012, 02:16 AM
This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads (http://www.justmanuals.com)

Paul@justmanuals.com

blackcat4866
10-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Did you mention what sort of scanning you are doing? Email, SMB, FTP, TWAIN? I think that's pertinent. =^..^=

JR2ALTA
10-25-2012, 02:41 AM
The speak of "users" and laptop testing makes me think it's SMB, but yes give more details!

I suggest scan-to-server or an FTP alternative, because we can do this song and dance for weeks. It works then it doesn't, I almost guarantee it ain't the MFP.

Don't be a hero, just simplify the situation.

mattc
10-25-2012, 05:11 PM
They are scanning to folder. It is an intermittent issue with desktop systems. It will stop scanning to an individual, then another and eventually drop everyone until the copier is rebooted. It is only consistent in it will happen, but not when or to who. It can go 5 or 6 days before it stops working. It may happen everyday.

TheOwl
10-26-2012, 12:08 AM
This is how I would approach this situation:

1. Enter in a One Touch setup for scanning to one of your techs laptop
2. Tell the customer not to touch the machine next time this happens
3. Get your tech to go out and attempt scanning to the network and then their laptop
4. Power Cycle the machine and then test again
5. Upgrade the firmware or re-install if already the latest version
6. Monitor to see if issue comes back
7. Change ports on the switch
8. Scan to a single point only and see if the issue arises

Can you also tell us the time frame in which this is happening according to the customer? Is it about every 8 days? Find out from their IT people on how long the DHCP Leases are for and see if this matches roughly around the same time as the machine failing to scan.

blackcat4866
10-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Any error messages?
Are you using hostnames? I prefer to use IP's exclusively with one exception: the traveling laptop. With as much time as I spend outside the office, I'm almost guaranteed to have a different IP each time I connect to our office network. =^..^=

Custom Search