PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta Bizhub C550 Scan to PC (SMB) problems

Custom Search

mntech
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Hello,
Customer has a bizhub c550, I am working on setting them up for scanning. They use scan to email and scan to PC via SMB protocol.

When I try to setup scanning via SMB, the machine deletes the job and says server connection error in the job details. This only happens when I use the computers hostname (i.e. frontdesk-pc), if I use the computers IP address the scan goes through just fine. I have DNS setup with the correct primary and secondary addresses.

I would think this would obviously be a dns problem if the scans work with IP address rather then hostname, although the scan to email works just fine using a smtp server hostname (so the dns servers are working if it is converting the email server's hostname to an ip address right?)

I have played around with all the smb and dns settings and have not been able to get this to work, what am I doing wrong??

I do these network installs a lot on ricohs, xerox, toshibas, so I dont believe I am doing anything wrong, unless I am missing a setting or something that I am not seeing.

Some more information: Network is not on a domain, firewalls are not blocking scans, computers are DHCP and cannot be set to static IP's, all other functions are working (scan to email, printing, fax), smb works with IP address.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Also another thing that is throwing me off is when the customer receives scan to email, the from address shows up as the previous owners admin email address, even though I have updated the settings in the machines web interface. I've looked at every setting on the machine and in the interface and cannot figure out why this is showing up as the wrong email address.

Thanks!
-Josh

emujo
10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Try this..go into Admin mode and turn off TCP/IP..cycle power...Back in Admin, turn on TCP/IP settings, cycle power..Back in Admin mode, set TCP/IP to DHCP then cycle power, Finally, turn DHCP to static ip..If this does not correct the issue, you may have to do a network data clear...Emujo

TheOwl
10-25-2012, 11:32 PM
What sort of DNS server is in use? Windows, Linux or just a router?

Ensure that DDNS is turned on and and power cycle the machine. This should help with DNS updates for the machine.

What OS are you trying to scan to?

mntech
10-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks emujo, I followed your steps and that worked perfect.

FYI TheOwl, At first I was using the gateway/router's address as primary dns server and google's dns's (4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8) as secondary.
When that didn't work, I ipconfig /all clients computer in cmd prompt and used the dns servers provided by their ISP, that didnt seem to work either.
Once I followed emujos power cycle/ tcp off/on dhcp off/on... trick the machine grabbed the same dns servers that was previously configured but worked for whatever reason. (might have something to do with auto-obtaining the dns's vs manual input.)

Also I don't see how ddns would make any difference but I will try that next time if I run into this problem again.

As for the bunk email address showing up, I found that the default settings on the scan screen were previously manipulated to use an email address different than admin email or machine email address. I went to scan/fax screen, pressed the communication settings, email settings, changed the "from" email address to what the customer wanted and went into utilities and set the scan/fax to default to current values(im sure I could have set to factory and it would have used the admin email as the default from address).

Thanks for all your help guys!
-mntech

kon
10-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Hello,
Customer has a bizhub c550, I am working on setting them up for scanning. They use scan to email and scan to PC via SMB protocol.

When I try to setup scanning via SMB, the machine deletes the job and says server connection error in the job details. This only happens when I use the computers hostname (i.e. frontdesk-pc), if I use the computers IP address the scan goes through just fine. I have DNS setup with the correct primary and secondary addresses.

I would think this would obviously be a dns problem if the scans work with IP address rather then hostname, although the scan to email works just fine using a smtp server hostname (so the dns servers are working if it is converting the email server's hostname to an ip address right?)

I have played around with all the smb and dns settings and have not been able to get this to work, what am I doing wrong??

I do these network installs a lot on ricohs, xerox, toshibas, so I dont believe I am doing anything wrong, unless I am missing a setting or something that I am not seeing.

Some more information: Network is not on a domain, firewalls are not blocking scans, computers are DHCP and cannot be set to static IP's, all other functions are working (scan to email, printing, fax), smb works with IP address.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.

Also another thing that is throwing me off is when the customer receives scan to email, the from address shows up as the previous owners admin email address, even though I have updated the settings in the machines web interface. I've looked at every setting on the machine and in the interface and cannot figure out why this is showing up as the wrong email address.

Thanks!
-Josh

The Host Name is not entered into the machine with all uppercase letters.

also in admin mode enter the from address. .

Custom Search