PDA

View Full Version : C352 can not ping and will not pull IP

Custom Search

Solotime
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Have a customer that has had one of these installed for over a year. It was not connected until last week. I went out to install drivers and I can not ping the copiers IP and when set to DHCP it pulls a funky IP address that is completely off from the network. Going back out tomorrow just thought someone might know if there is a setting on the copier that might disable the NIC?
Thanks

pepper38_cnd
11-12-2012, 10:02 PM
It sounds like the network jack is not live. Connect you laptop to the network cable, set to DHCP and see if you get a good IP.

TheOwl
11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
I bet your funky IP address was like 169.254.xxx.xxx

This is the standard fall back address range that network cards assign themselves if there is no DHCP address assigned to the card.

As pepper38_cnd said, plug your laptop into the data outlet that the copier normally uses and see if you can get an IP address using the same outlet. If not, then move the machine down the hallway, or across the room and try another point and see if that works.

If you find another point works, send your customer a bill and everyone is happy (but maybe not the customer in a weeks time when they receive the bill). If it doesn't help, then let us know and we can go from there.

Solotime
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys...I will try that and let you know. Since I had "lights" on the copier NIC and at the router I figured it was good. That and my buddy that ran the ethernet cable to the copier ASSURED me it was good.

TheOwl
11-12-2012, 10:35 PM
While you are there, you might also want to try turning the machine to a static IP and see if you can then talk to it. If you can, then try resetting to DHCP as doing the previous and turning DHCP back on can sometimes help.

Solotime
11-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Yeah I tried that. I set it to a static IP and could not print or ping. Also no web interface.

pepper38_cnd
11-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Have you tried changing the NIC speed setting? I have seen if the nic locks where changing the speed to say 100M rebooting and then setting it back to Auto and rebooting again will bring it back to life. I believe the speed setting is under the network/details/device setting .

mrfixit
11-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Can you ping to it and print from your laptop connected directly with a crossover cable. If you can your machine is fine and it's there IT departments problem.

DAG COPIERS & COMPUTERS
11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys...I will try that and let you know. Since I had "lights" on the copier NIC and at the router I figured it was good. That and my buddy that ran the ethernet cable to the copier ASSURED me it was good.-''Lights'' on the copier NIC & ''ASSURANCE'' from your buddy alone is not enough! Go the 'extra-mile' and check for LOOSE cable contacts at both ends of the network jacks, i.e at both the NIC & data output jacks. The contacts should be very firm/proper.Check also the SETTINGS and indeed any configuration on the printer. A'' network setup guide or manual'' for that printer could ease your work, don't neglect it, have it handy for quick reference...despite your experience.-Try to execute 'ping' from the copier, if possible, using a ' Remote host address', i.e the IP address of any computer connected to the same network as the copier...and working of course. You can obtain the 'remote' host address from the sysadmin. - You could also try to ping, again from the copier, using the ' Loop-Back address' (127.0.0.1), this will confirm whether the TCP/IP SETTINGS are correct or not.- You may also try another crossover cable.

Custom Search